drrosenrosen

Anesthesiologist/Pain Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
549
181
Chapel Hill, NC
Status
Attending Physician
What is the earning potential for academic jobs? Please, no flames. I'm not in it just for the money. I just honestly have no idea what an anesthesiology attending can make. Obviously it's going to be less than what is to be made in the private sector, but are we talking about $150K forever? Just interested.
 

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
5,858
113
level at FL210
Status
drrosenrosen said:
What is the earning potential for academic jobs? Please, no flames. I'm not in it just for the money. I just honestly have no idea what an anesthesiology attending can make. Obviously it's going to be less than what is to be made in the private sector, but are we talking about $150K forever? Just interested.
Best academic position I've heard of is 270K base, plus extra for call, with some dudes approaching 375-400 after call is added in.

Once academia approaches private practice salaries, I'm becoming Professor Jet. ( :laugh: hahahahah....that sounds so gay...I prefer Dude).

All kidding aside, I love teaching. Our SRNAs rate our hospital #1 out of their plethora of rotations.

But I'd rather be teaching residents. :thumbup:
 

adleyinga

Einstein
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
87
0
Status
drrosenrosen said:
What is the earning potential for academic jobs? Please, no flames. I'm not in it just for the money. I just honestly have no idea what an anesthesiology attending can make. Obviously it's going to be less than what is to be made in the private sector, but are we talking about $150K forever? Just interested.
Salries average
from 210K for instructors up to 280K for full professor
 
About the Ads

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2004
1,834
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
During my anesthesia rotation, I worked with an attending who was in PP for about 20+ years. He was a hell of a clinical professor and was highly respected by the entire dept. and could go to toe to toe with any of the seasoned academicians at any time. He was in charge of resident instruction. He writes for the ASA newsletter and one of his articles was on the last issue titled "Practice Management in the academic organization".

It would be great to see all the PP attendings of today, bring their knowledge to the academic setting and become the clinical professors of tomorrow.
 

driverabu

www.riograndband.com
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
237
0
KC
www.riograndband.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
toughlife said:
During my anesthesia rotation, I worked with an attending who was in PP for about 20+ years. He was a hell of a clinical professor and was highly respected by the entire dept. and could go to toe to toe with any of the seasoned academicians at any time. He was in charge of resident instruction. He writes for the ASA newsletter and one of his articles was on the last issue titled "Practice Management in the academic organization".

It would be great to see all the PP attendings of today, bring their knowledge to the academic setting and become the clinical professors of tomorrow.
Yes it would! I can't say that I'll go into academia right after residency...maybe I will b/c I love teaching, but I really do need to pay off my loans first and become a little more financially stable. I would most definitely love to end up in academia not more than 10 years after I graduate from residency.
 

drrosenrosen

Anesthesiologist/Pain Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
549
181
Chapel Hill, NC
Status
Attending Physician
What are the other perceived benefits of academia? I really enjoy the idea of working with residents and teaching, but don't know what the scoop is on academic anesthesia. Seems like there might be a more agreeable call schedule/hours, but I'm sure that could be a misconception. My understanding is also that anesthesia faculty don't have to be as into research as other academics. Is that a correct impression? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2004
1,834
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
drrosenrosen said:
What are the other perceived benefits of academia? I really enjoy the idea of working with residents and teaching, but don't know what the scoop is on academic anesthesia. Seems like there might be a more agreeable call schedule/hours, but I'm sure that could be a misconception. My understanding is also that anesthesia faculty don't have to be as into research as other academics. Is that a correct impression? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Depends on which track you are in. You can be a clinical faculty (mainly teaching), clinician-scientist (teach and do research) and research only, where you do mostly research and teach one month a year.

Your involvement in research, will of course, depend on your track.
 

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2001
1,216
1
NY
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
driverabu said:
Yes it would! I can't say that I'll go into academia right after residency...maybe I will b/c I love teaching, but I really do need to pay off my loans first and become a little more financially stable. I would most definitely love to end up in academia not more than 10 years after I graduate from residency.
I feel somewhat the same way and would like to be a clinician-educator eventually. Have you guys heard how hard is it to get into academia after private practice though?
 

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2004
1,834
3
Status
Resident [Any Field]
E'01 said:
I feel somewhat the same way and would like to be a clinician-educator eventually. Have you guys heard how hard is it to get into academia after private practice though?
One attending I worked with for a day worked 3 days in PP and two in the academic world as clinical instructor. Nice combo if you ask me.
 
About the Ads