Accelerated Bachelor's Degree, timeline question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacMD1334

The Someday Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning my classes for the first semester of my B.S. Biology program to commence in spring '09. I will be taking a full course load in the summers as well as the rest of the year which will allow me to complete my B.S. in 2 years + 1 semester. This will include opportunities for research, hospital and volunteer internships that I plan to pursue vigorously.
My understanding is that the MCAT is traditionally taken in the spring of one's junior year and that medical school is applied to in the fall of one's senior year. I will be obtaining my B.S. at an accelerated rate, outside of the traditional 4 year curriculum, so when should I take my MCAT and when should I apply to medical school? Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of planning my classes for the first semester of my B.S. Biology program to commence in spring '09. I will be taking a full course load in the summers as well as the rest of the year which will allow me to complete my B.S. in 2 years + 1 semester. This will include opportunities for research, hospital and volunteer internships that I plan to pursue vigorously.
My understanding is that the MCAT is traditionally taken in the spring of one's junior year and that medical school is applied to in the fall of one's senior year. I will be obtaining my B.S. at an accelerated rate, outside of the traditional 4 year curriculum, so when should I take my MCAT and when should I apply to medical school? Thanks in advance for your input! :)

Take the MCAT whenever you've covered all the material, so Gen Bio, Gen Chem, 1st yr Orgo, Gen Physics. That should be it. There's no "magic" time to take it, but it certainly makes sense to take it while all of that info is fresh in your mind.

Take the MCAT whenever you've covered all the material, so Gen Bio, Gen Chem, 1st yr Orgo, Gen Physics. That should be it. There's no "magic" time to take it, but it certainly makes sense to take it while all of that info is fresh in your mind.

Ok, I need to clarify, I'll have all the foundation I'll need to start studying for the MCAT once I have completed:

Biology I and II
Chemistry I and II
Organic Chemistry I
Physics I and II

Is this right?

Ok, I need to clarify, I'll have all the foundation I'll need to start studying for the MCAT once I have completed:

Biology I and II
Chemistry I and II
Organic Chemistry I
Physics I and II

Is this right?

Orgo is 1 year's worth, so Orgo I and II. Physics I and II assuming Elec&Mag is covered. I'd highly advise you look into www.aamc.com in the MCAT section and check out some of the basic materials on what's covered.