Accelerated BS/MD a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMarf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to look at colleges and I just wanted to know you guys' thoughts about those programs. Schools that have them:
Rutgers, TCNJ, BROWN, UConn, Howard, George Washington, U Miami, Ohio State, Pace, SUNY, Tufts.

Here is a website also
http://www.services.aamc.org/currdir/section3/degree2.cfm?data=yes&program=bsmd

Members don't see this ad.

they are good if you know for sure you want to be a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the end I decided not to do it, because I didn't think being a doctor 1 year earlier was worth the risk of missing out on some of my care free and fun college experiences, heh. And I didn't want to tie myself down to one med school before I even knew what to look for in med schools, like the curriculum. That, and I"m already young for my year, I didn't really want to be an M1 at 20 years old, and not be able to go to the bars for happy hour with all my classmates.

Personally, I would not go for the accelerated program. It only saves you about a year (maybe 2, depending on the program) and in the grand scheme of things it is not really worth it. Go to a decent college for undergrad and then, if you still want to go into medicine, apply to med schools. College of pretty fun, no need to rush through it.

on the bright side:
  • don't have to take MCAT (yay!)
  • don't have to go through med school application/interview process (save $$)
  • I've heard that many of these programs have nice undergraduate scholarships tied to them (not 100% positive though)
  • don't have to worry about making an application that looks good
downside
  • tied to one specific school
  • are you 100% positive you really want to be a doc? if not, this isn't the way to go.
They are highly competitive, so i'd say if you can get accepted, take it.

Giving up 1-2 years of college is a bad idea. For one thing, college is really fun. You will be real bummed when your friends are having a blast senior year, and you are stuck studying all the time. Also, you are missing out on some great opportunities. Those extra two years may be your last chance to take photography, read the classics, study anthropology, study abroad, whatever your interest may be. College isn't supposed to be boot camp for med school, it is supposed to teach you stuff that will make you an interesting, well-educated adult.

wow thx guys, really helped alot. Now its just my other question on the womens thread that i need answering lol. But thxs again you opinions were helpful.

wow thx guys, really helped alot. Now its just my other question on the womens thread that i need answering lol. But thxs again you opinions were helpful.

What's the question? I know it all when it comes to women :D

i disagree with everyone here
go the bs /md route, you'll thank me for it

What's the question? I know it all when it comes to women :D

The question was..Ok so I have always dreamed of becoming a surgeon, specifically a neuro, but lately because I am looking at colleges I have been thinking about my future. I have read hundreds of blogs about women in surgery and it sounds hard. I love kids and want to have a max of 3 but i dont want to do that when i start my career at like 35ish. By then i will be too tired to play with them and etc, also i want to be there for my kids and not always at the hospital. So i guess my question is, is there a specialty that is not so demanding yet still interesting and suitable for women? I have heard oral and maxillofacial surgery isn't so demanding but it sound sooo boring, I mean most of the patient probably come in for the same thing. Or should i just become a physician assistant and still do surgery, just for a lesser pay and some restrictions? Or just lower my goals to becoming a doctor, who has more free time than a surgeon? Please help me :( And also are there any scholarships out there for women in health care? I am an African American ranked 33 out of a class of 357 with a GPA of 4.21.

College has been the funnest four years of my life....but if I had the chance I would have gone BS/MD.

Yeah, i think one of the reasons there aren't that many women in fields like surgery is because we but more emphasis on spending time with family, not to mention we're the ones who bear the physical impact of pregnancy (i.e. the big belly, morning sickness, breast feeding, recovery, etc) so that can put a crimp in our plans because you'll need to take vacations for awhile. That being said, there are female surgeons to pull it all off, so it can be done :)

Not to mention, you might discover that surgery isn't really your calling down the line. I didn't realize how many specialties were out there until I got to the last few years of college and I worked in a hospital. You might find that your personality meshes best with the radiologists, or EM doctors, both of which are a little more family friendly :)

And yes, there are plenty of scholarships out there, especially for the under represented in healthcare. Good luck.