Accelerated BSN program to NP (for those with a degree in other than nursing)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moki1984

Reaction score
Good afternoon.

For those unaware, my current situation has me considering either a PA or NP route with a focus on psych. I have a Bachelors in Psych, minored in Bio and I have been working at my hospital for 7 years. I need a couple science prereqs for either path (such as chemistry) but I have most of them.

In looking at the programs to get your BSN in little over a year, which prepares you to enter into the NP program, what have been your experiences? Anything specific you felt was the most difficult? Also, did you do it mostly online or in person?

Just trying to get a feel for everyone's experiences, hear from perspectives that have already done this. I am still undecided on NP or PA

Members don't see this ad.

My BSN was online, it wasn't the 12-14 month accelerated but it was done in 16 months. Mostly online. BUT i had my ADN prior, so i was licensed.

I have heard the accelerated BSN programs are pretty rigorous in terms of coursework and time obligations. But i'm sure it is doable.

Honest opinion. I would say go PA for training quality purposes.

My BSN was online, it wasn't the 12-14 month accelerated but it was done in 16 months. Mostly online. BUT i had my ADN prior, so i was licensed.

I have heard the accelerated BSN programs are pretty rigorous in terms of coursework and time obligations. But i'm sure it is doable.

Honest opinion. I would say go PA for training quality purposes.

I hear this sometimes, regarding the quality of training. Do you really think It is that much better?

I have also been warned the accelerated BSN programs can be very time consuming. Have you ever heard of someone doing it while working ?

Right now my choice has a lot to do with feasibility for my situation, what will put the least amount of stress on my family. Either route is a great step up for me in terms of my career and will put my years of experience to use.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear this sometimes, regarding the quality of training. Do you really think It is that much better?

I think from an academic stand point just looking at in school training PA school is better. It is in class, structured, with diverse clinical rotations 2nd year in various specialties. NP school education varies but an NP comes with something a PA generally does not, thats how much experience and what type of expereince they come to NP school with. A good percentage of PA students are medics before hand, but that besides the point. If one were to go straight through from BSN to NP i think they would have an inferior education compared to someone who went straight through from BS/BA to PA.

That is negating any prior clinical exp though...

I have also been warned the accelerated BSN programs can be very time consuming. Have you ever heard of someone doing it while working ?

I do know of people who worked part time or PRN. I think fulltime would be dang near impossible.

Right now my choice has a lot to do with feasibility for my situation, what will put the least amount of stress on my family. Either route is a great step up for me in terms of my career and will put my years of experience to use.

Understood, i took the AA -> ADN -> BSN -> Post-Bacc -> Med School route... pretty taxing on everyone around me lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Good afternoon.

For those unaware, my current situation has me considering either a PA or NP route with a focus on psych. I have a Bachelors in Psych, minored in Bio and I have been working at my hospital for 7 years. I need a couple science prereqs for either path (such as chemistry) but I have most of them.

In looking at the programs to get your BSN in little over a year, which prepares you to enter into the NP program, what have been your experiences? Anything specific you felt was the most difficult? Also, did you do it mostly online or in person?

Just trying to get a feel for everyone's experiences, hear from perspectives that have already done this. I am still undecided on NP or PA

Depending on where you live/where you want to practice NP may give more options and more autonomy as NPs can be independent. You should, if possible, talk to NPs and PAs in your area who practice in the psych area and find out what their jobs/days are like. Talk to more than one and talk to some who work inpatient and some outpatient. PA would be quicker for those who do not already have their RN degrees. NP may be cheaper if you get a BSN and then work while getting your NP degree.

From what I've heard, psych NPs are in big demand and command higher salaries than family NPs or other non-psych areas. I'm not as knowledgeable on PA salaries.

It is my understanding that my state doesn't allot the same amount of autonomy for NPs as some other states, but I could be wrong in that.

I did look up average salaries for both positions in varying cities in my state, since I don't plan to leave this state. I noticed NP was usually always higher . I found one school that won't even take applications for NPs out of state because they say we have such a shortage locally, in other words high demand = high pay. Although I would imagine that demand would encompass NP and PA. At first I really liked this school until I realized they want you to work as RN for at least one year prior to applying, sighs....I have 7 years of experience, I have no intention to take a break year between BSN and NP if I go that route, it will be a straight shot into the next one while probably working as a RN to help pay for it.

I like the idea of a faster school (PA) but I also really like the idea of saving money (NP). Although I still have a tiny bit of GI BILL left, I can probably get my first few semesters mostly paid for no matter which route I go thanks to my Veteran benefits. Also on the lookout for schools that have any discounts for Vets.

I work alongside some NPs and PAs at my hospital although our midlevel providers are largely NPs. Actually, I just seen a NP get multiple things thrown at her yesterday for telling a PT no hehe. We are inpatient so I can't get the outpatient perspective from them. I will look around so I can talk to more people.

Most places require work experience to get into a NP program... Unless you try a graduate NP program that will take you contingent upon the fact you will be working. I repeat you NEED work experience before you apply for NP programs or you need to work during the NP program.
I would know, I tried getting into NP school during my BSN, they specifically required work.