Accelerated MSN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saberto0th

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help, fast.. and I heard this forum really helps.
I have been accepted to 2 acc-msn programs here in cali.
school 1: is a state school (cheap tuition), 2 yrs total, but you get your RN AND MSN at the end of the whole program. fewer fellowships.
school 2: prestigious private school (but very expensive), 3 years total (1.5 years RN, following 1.5 years working ft as RN for clinical hrs. and ft online MSN classes). lots of connections..
..which one sounds better to you? both programs just accepted me, and both programs start early august. help!

Members don't see this ad.

I need help, fast.. and I heard this forum really helps.
I have been accepted to 2 acc-msn programs here in cali.
school 1: is a state school (cheap tuition), 2 yrs total, but you get your RN AND MSN at the end of the whole program. fewer fellowships.
school 2: prestigious private school (but very expensive), 3 years total (1.5 years RN, following 1.5 years working ft as RN for clinical hrs. and ft online MSN classes). lots of connections..
..which one sounds better to you? both programs just accepted me, and both programs start early august. help!

state school for me.
shouldn't really matter in the end.
however, experience is what sets
newer grads from seasoned ones.
either way, you'll be in the market to be hired.

First of all, the helpfulness of the clinicians forum is very debate worthy... ;) It can get a little crazy in here.

I would go with the state school, because in the end, you can still gain a lot of valuable experience with that degree and be a good NP, get a job you love, ect. The value of the private school education in terms of the connections and prestige just isn't worth it in terms of the price/student loan debt, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
The value of the private school education in terms of the connections and prestige just isn't worth it in terms of the price/student loan debt, IMO.

I agree on the surface, but there are a lot of programs that will help you pay back your student loans. I was only accepted to expensive private schools (the one public school I applied for is very impacted) but I figure, "eh, it will all work out." That said the school I did chose is already doing wonderful things for helping me get hired....not particularly problematic for most nurses, but I think my school allows me to be slightly more picky in terms of career.

I do hate my debt though. This is why I am either doing the US public health corps or the VA for the first few years.

So it's unatimous, the state school is a better choice!! Thank you everyone for all your help. Truthfully, before your input I was gearing towards the private school.. Just because coming straight out of my undergrad. (from a state school) I didn't think much of the loan and always thought private school grads had better connections and therefore a better chance at making a difference. But a $70k student loan is pretty hefty now that I think of it... Thanks!

good luck on your journey.
i'm sure in the end you won't be disappointed.
remember that it is what you make of it.

Good luck with everything! If you have a liberals arts degree, the private school connections are valuable. With a nursing degree, notsomuch. I've never had a problem getting exactly the job I wanted, and I have a two-year degree from a rural tech college.

Good luck with everything! If you have a liberals arts degree, the private school connections are valuable. With a nursing degree, notsomuch. I've never had a problem getting exactly the job I wanted, and I have a two-year degree from a rural tech college.

Exactly.

If you were talking about business school (MBA), then connections/networking is of major importance, though in nursing there seems to be much more accessibility to jobs, so I wouldn't risk taking on $70k and maybe not needing to in the end.

Good luck! I'd say to definitely make good use of all the clinical time you have, since you'll be going in as a non-RN and actively seek out procedures to do and communication with patients.

There can tend to be a bit of prejudice against APNI students, but I've met some that are highly motivated.

Do you know what specialty you're doing? Family Nurse Prac?