Accelerated PreReq. Program for Pre-Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlantMan

20something-transient
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to the forums... so "HELLO"

So, I'm on this crusade to make this incredible career change in my life. I've been a Landscape Architect for the past 4 or so years and really have little bio/sci background in my undergrad B.S. in Landscape Architecture.

Right now it's Fall of 2008 and I have little to none prerequisites required for pharmacy school. I've created a spreadsheet for the prerequisites needed for me to get into pharmacy school by Fall 2010. This approximately gives me 1.5 years or 5 semesters (including 2 summer sememsters) to complete all of the classes below.

I am only looking to get into UOP, Touro (CA), and Northstate (sacramento).

Calculus I
Chem I & II
O.Chem I & II
Biology I & II
Physics I
Biochem or MCB I
MicroBiology I
Anatomy/Physiology joint class I
English Composition II

Public Speaking- completed in Community College
Economics- completed in Community College and AP Test
Psychology- completed with a "B" in undergrad... want to retake if possible
English Composition 1- completed in undergrad

If I finish all of these pre-reqs I should be covered for all 3 colleges I am applying to.

1)Now do you think that completing all of these classes in such a short amount of time is possible?

2) Also, I understand applications are due usually about a year before admissions so due to pre-reqs within these classes, (Chem1-->Chem2-->O.Chem1) I will taking O.Chem in the fall of 2009. I might not have it finished in time before applications are due. Will this drastically affect my application?? I am worried that I will have too many classes in progress, but I am fully committed to completing and finishing these classes with high grades.

*I've attached a rough draft of my excel speadsheet for any interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Pharmacy checklist.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 124
Welcome to the forum...

As to your plan - if it is possible on paper - it can be done. Only you can decide whether or not you can do it.

I have a rule when it comes to difficult courses = never more than 2 at a time. I wanted to have a great GPA when it came time to apply. That being said, I know more than a few people that took 18 hours straight through with 3.9s - so it is certainly possible.

To your question about not having some classes completed - that is expected and is perfectly fine. For me, I delayed my Organic II until after my interview date. This removed it from being a point of consideration... I received a B in Organic I - and knew I was going to struggle with II - So I removed it from the equation by taking it in the spring (I interviewed in the fall).

One more bit of advice - the world isnt gonna end if you take 3 years instead of 2. The goal is getting a Pharm D - dont lose sight of that for the sake of a timetable.

Good luck

~above~

Good luck - with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
Thanks.

You only deferred one class till after applications?

Theoretically I will have completed:

Calculus I
Chemistry I
Biology I
Microbiology I
Chem I
English II

During interviews I will theoretically be currently taking:

O'Chem I
Physics I
Anatomy/Physiology

Then in the following Spring I will be taking:

O'Chem II
Biology II
Biochemistry

*Psych, English, Public Speaking, Econ will all be satisfied with old coursework

So as you can see I will be missing quite a big chunk of curriculum.
Thanks for the optimism, I appreciate it tremendously, but I am also quite open to anyone with criticisms. I have so much riding on this.. it's my title movie role where the hero fights for love, family, fulfillment, and riches. :oops:

I know nothing is guaranteed, but I have to beat Father Time.

Any more thoughts? criticisms?

Members don't see this ad :)
As the other guy said, its not worth getting it done faster if it lowers your GPA.

The first semester, I would go with as little credits as possible. I wouldn't really say anything is possible if it works on paper, because there are simply too many factors that don't get on paper.

Fact is you've been out of school for 4 years and thus you don't have that student mindset. There WILL be a transition phase where you will be trying to get back into the habit of studying.

Your older, you have to work and have responsibilities (I'm assuming). You are up against others that have less money and more time (both of which will probably make better students).

Thus I'm sure you can see how there are many factors working against you. I would advise cutting back on work as much as possible.

The only advantage I can think of that you have over everyone else is maturity, you're definitley not going to be ****ing around when its your own money. Also the "real world" experience can't hurt.

It's good that you have it all planned out, just remember nothing is set in stone and be prepared for changes (ie staying longer). Good Luck :luck:.

Last edited:
I am older... turning 27 next month... I feel like such an old man when i read about kids coming from high school and going into pre-pharmacy.

I am actually cutting everything loose on this chance to go to pharmacy school. I quit my job and am moving back home with my parents until I get my prerequisites done. It's definitely a blow to the ego and I feel somewhat embarrassed about the idea, but it'll save me money and allow me to focus on just my studies.

When i look back, I used to have my own apartment, my own car, and life in NYC... now I'll just have 2 suitcases of clothes and a few mementos.

Do you think taking Chem 1, Bio 1, Calc 1, and BioChem all in one semester is too much?

I know the transition will be difficult, but I'm pretty dedicated. If i have to LIVE in a classroom, I will. :D

I am older... turning 27 next month... I feel like such an old man when i read about kids coming from high school and going into pre-pharmacy.

I am actually cutting everything loose on this chance to go to pharmacy school. I quit my job and am moving back home with my parents until I get my prerequisites done. It's definitely a blow to the ego and I feel somewhat embarrassed about the idea, but it'll save me money and allow me to focus on just my studies.

When i look back, I used to have my own apartment, my own car, and life in NYC... now I'll just have 2 suitcases of clothes and a few mementos.

Do you think taking Chem 1, Bio 1, Calc 1, and BioChem all in one semester is too much?

I know the transition will be difficult, but I'm pretty dedicated. If i have to LIVE in a classroom, I will. :D

Taking Biochem while not having ever taken Organic is NOT a good idea. If it is a survey class the schools probably wont accept it anyway.

Also...prereqs do expire. Call the schools and see if they'll accept your psych, english, etc...

Thanks for the head's up on BioChem... what if I substitute that class with Microbiology?

Smart move to move back with your parents, however taking more than 2 "difficult" classes per semester is not a good idea.

Again your focus should be on grades>speed, this is MOST important in your first semester where you will be in the transition phase.

If I were you I would just take 2 of those classes, I wouldn't take any upper division classes at this point. Just chem 1 and bio 1 with two-three other easy (probably non science) classes. If you have to take another science just make sure its not something that will take too much of your time.

Rock those two classes and it will give you a sold foundation to add everything else on, not to mention, those two classes will be extremely important for the PCAT (more than micro, biochem or even calc).

I hate to sound negative :( , but you shouldn't even be thinking about Biochem w/out ever taking chemistry. That's like me going into landscape articheture w/out knowing anything about it at all. People take Biochemistry - at least they should and how most school require it - after completing 4 ! semesters of chemistry - 2 general and 2 organic. You thinking about taking Biochem w/out ever taking any chemistry is like somebody trying to normalize wave fuctions w/out ever taking any calculus.

Another thing is if you decide to take it Sac State or SF State you won't even be able to take it w/out completing a year of bio and 3-4 semesters of chemistry, because both of these schools are really strict about checking pre-reqs and they will simply drop you from the class even if you manage to initially get in. At both schools there are lots of people trying to get into 1-2 sections of the course and when there are going to be like 50-60 people who are years ahead of you in their education trying to add that class, they will drop you mercilessly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice... its always great to here from people who actually went through the experiences and have the knowledge and background.

I just found out that biochem can be substituted with Cell and Molecular Biology.

Are both equally as hard??

and for scheduling purposes... what is the gradient scale of difficulty between Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, and Microbiology??

Finally: is it recommended I take microbiology without many other precursor classes?

Thanks for the advice... its always great to here from people who actually went through the experiences and have the knowledge and background.

I just found out that biochem can be substituted with Cell and Molecular Biology.

and for scheduling purposes... what is the gradient scale of difficulty between Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, and Microbiology??

Finally: is it recommended I take microbiology without many other precursor classes?

It varies by school but all of those are upper level classes in which you will need some background first.

Not only does it depend on the class but a large portion of it depends on the professor as well.

To give you an idea of what I mean, in our microbiology class (for which I have a pretty good prof), we went over pretty much EVERYTHING we learned in Bio I in just one chapter (took two classes to get through it).

Now at this time the entire classes will be just chilling through this since it's like the ABCs and because Bio I is a pre req for it. But if you go in without even taking Bio I (or testing out of it), you'll be sweating just to keep up, and this is only the beginning.

You could test out of the basic classes but that wouldn't be a good idea.

I wouldn't recommend substituting the biochem just for the sake of prereqs faster, because I think the biochem will do you a lot more good when you get into pharmacy school. Also, I'll echo what a couple of other people have said - I understand the reasons for your haste, but you really aren't all that old. The average age of my entering pharmacy school class was almost 25. It's better to take a little extra time with the prereqs, and get some experience working in a pharmacy if you can.

I don't think my reply will do you any good. In short I think you shouldn't take microbio and cell/molecular before doing the pre-reqs, because you will be lost and struggle, but that is only my opinion.

Last edited:
I think finishing in 2 years is do-able. My advice is to use summer school to lighten your semester loads. Also, having courses in progress shouldn't hurt your chances of getting accepted, if you have an excellent GPA (3.5+). If you have under 3.5, I could see it maybe hurting you.

Consider a schedule, something like this:

FALL 1
chem I
bio I

SPRING 1
chem II
bio II

SUMMER I - first session
Calc I

-------take PCAT----------------

SUMMER I - second session
Physics

---------apply for pharmacy school----------

FALL 2
o chem I
anat/physio I

SPRING 2
o chem II
micro
biochem

SUMMER II
[some schools allow non-science classes to be completed at this time]

This way you aren't taking more than 2 hard classes in one semester until Spring 2 and by then you should already be accepted into pharmacy school.

Throw in English II at a semester of your choice. See what kind of classes your school offers in the summer and adjust your schedule accordingly, if they don't offer calc or physics in the summer.

I think with you having a Bachelors in Science degree already, you have an advantage. You already know what it takes to pass classes and graduate. I had a BS in engineering, and after going through 300 and 400 level classes, albeit a different subject, going back and taking the 100 and 200 pre-reqs were relatively easy for me.

Last edited:
I think finishing in 2 years is do-able. My advice is to use summer school to lighten your semester loads. Also, having courses in progress shouldn't hurt your chances of getting accepted, if you have an excellent GPA (3.5+). If you have under 3.5, I could see it maybe hurting you.

Consider a schedule, something like this:

FALL 1
chem I
bio I

SPRING 1
chem II
bio II

SUMMER I - first session
Calc I

-------take PCAT----------------

SUMMER I - second session
Physics

---------apply for pharmacy school----------

FALL 2
o chem I
anat/physio I

SPRING 2
o chem II
micro
biochem

SUMMER II
[some schools allow non-science classes to be completed at this time]

This way you aren't taking more than 2 hard classes in one semester until Spring 2 and by then you should already be accepted into pharmacy school.

Throw in English II at a semester of your choice. See what kind of classes your school offers in the summer and adjust your schedule accordingly, if they don't offer calc or physics in the summer.

I think with you having a Bachelors in Science degree already, you have an advantage. You already know what it takes to pass classes and graduate. I had a BS in engineering, and after going through 300 and 400 level classes, albeit a different subject, going back and taking the 100 and 200 pre-reqs were relatively easy for me.

I'm in a similiar situation. This suggested schedule has the PCAT being taken before Ochem 1 or anat. Is it possible to get a decent score on the bio and chem sections without having taken these classes?

Thanks for your advice.

I'm in a similiar situation. This suggested schedule has the PCAT being taken before Ochem 1 or anat. Is it possible to get a decent score on the bio and chem sections without having taken these classes?

Thanks for your advice.

I hate bringing up an old thread but I would like to add on to what she asked with regard to how important organic chemistry will be compared to chemistry and biology for PCAT?