I have a sort of odd insight into this sort of thing
I have a speech impediment but, rather than sounding like I'm mentally deficient, I sound like I have an indeterminable accent.. everyone hears something different: I've gotten London, Australia, Austria, Boston, New York, random eastern European countries.. It's weird because I totally don't sound like any of those, and I've never lived in any state besides Michigan
I've grown to love my impediment. Not only does it make me a bit more interesting to others, I think that people give me a *lot* more leeway when it comes to social situations. It's as if they say "That silly foreign girl, when will she ever learn American?" and laugh whatever dumb thing I did off 😀
I've found that people are much more patient with me than they are with others and that they're more willing to explain things to me
It just sucks when the inevitable "So, where are you from?" question comes around.. I don't mind telling people at all about my issue but whoever I tell it to always seems to feel like an ass.. as if I haven't heard it from every person I've ever met 🙄