Accept masters program or retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decisiondecision

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to medical schools during my senior year of college but did not get any acceptance. I was going to retake the MCAT and reapply the following year because I know for sure that is a weakness on my application. However, I just got an unexpected call today from a DO school where I am waitlisted offering me a spot in their masters program. I was told that if I can get a 3.5GPA and pass the final exam, then I will be automatically accepted to their DO program. This all seem very tempting but I was also told that classes have begun and I am already one week behind. It is also not close to home so I would have to find a place to stay. Should I put in 60K for a masters program with a chance of being admitted to a mediocre DO school within year or study my butt off for the MCAT in hopes of getting into a better medical school within 2 years?

Here are my stats:
3.57 cGPA 3.43 sGPA
1st MCAT - 26 (12/5/9)
2nd MCAT - 502 (129/123/125/125)
4 years of undergrad research experience
1 published paper coauthored
1 undergraduate research grant
2 years of hospice volunteering
2 years as a member of a service organization
graduated from Ivy League university (idk if this would help)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest retaking the MCAT, seeing how you do, and trying another cycle with MD schools (and a few DO for insurance). The SMP is more high risk/high yield and in your case, the MCAT is the issue, more so than the < avg GPAs. Your best MD chances will be with your state schools, unless you're from CA.

And when you say "study my butt off for the MCAT", didn't you do that already? If not, why did you approach a high stakes, career deciding exam so cavalierly? But if you did study hard, why do you magically think that 3rd time will be the charm?

I applied to medical schools during my senior year of college but did not get any acceptance. I was going to retake the MCAT and reapply the following year because I know for sure that is a weakness on my application. However, I just got an unexpected call today from a DO school where I am waitlisted offering me a spot in their masters program. I was told that if I can get a 3.5GPA and pass the final exam, then I will be automatically accepted to their DO program. This all seem very tempting but I was also told that classes have begun and I am already one week behind. It is also not close to home so I would have to find a place to stay. Should I put in 60K for a masters program with a chance of being admitted to a mediocre DO school within year or study my butt off for the MCAT in hopes of getting into a better medical school within 2 years?

Here are my stats:
3.57 cGPA 3.43 sGPA
1st MCAT - 26 (12/5/9)
2nd MCAT - 502 (129/123/125/125)
4 years of undergrad research experience
1 published paper coauthored
1 undergraduate research grant
2 years of hospice volunteering
2 years as a member of a service organization
graduated from Ivy League university (idk if this would help)

Thank you both for replying to this thread. I've decided to retake the MCAT. @Goro, you're right. I didn't realize the seriousness of the exam when I was studying for it. I did not put my best effort into studying both times. One of the reasons was that I studied during the school year both times. Also, I was surrounded by very intelligent premeds at my school and was somewhat brainwashed into thinking that I would do as well as they did if I put in the same effort. However, my instructors told me that everyone feels like this as the exam approaches. So that also made me think it wouldn't be as bad. I know I've made very poor decisions and it cost a lot time and money. It is a life lesson that I will always remember. I am now more serious than ever in getting a better score and becoming a doctor. Now that I've already graduated, I will have more time to study.

I am thinking to use Khan Academy videos, my previous Kaplan review books, Princeton Review practice exams and AAMC resources to prepare for my next exam. I'd appreciate it if you could share other resources that you think would be helpful, especially for the CARS section. Thank you!

I think you should take the MCAT again, and apply next cycle. Your C/P score is really good, and I think with more hard work you can get a higher MCAT score. Good luck!