Accept OOS first cycle or try again for IS to get the cheaper school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

h0tpink

Reaction score
This was my first cycle, and I applied to 8 schools. I did not get into my in-state (Colorado), but was accepted to one school OOS, Illinois. Of course I was over the moon to get the UIUC acceptance - it was the wildlife program and the ability to be hands-on right away that made me apply, and it looks like a fantastic program. But, now that I've spent months here on SDN, I'm worried about picking the cheapest school. My only option this year is UIUC, but would it make more sense to try again next cycle for in-state (or cheaper OOS) before signing on for about $60k more in tuition? Does it make more sense to wait a year and try for a cheaper school - do people do that?

I definitely have improved since last fall, so I think I'd be a different applicant - I'll have doubled my vet hours, added research, and raised my cumulative a bit to a 3.78. Unfortunately, I can't find anything specific about how many IS applicants CSU gets, or how competitive that pool is, so I have no idea if any of that would be enough. I almost feel like I'd need to do a masters there and do really well to further raise my GPA and be competitive, even in-state. At that point, the additional time and price would quickly close the gap between the IS and OOS price tag. As crazy as it may sound - I wish my in-state wasn't CSU. It's too popular! That said, there are also a few other OOS schools that would be less expensive, so that could also be a consideration if I did reapply.

Anyway, I wondering if anyone else has been in the same position, or if there may be other variables I haven't considered. For example, one thing I've seen a few times is "you'll be starting a year sooner, so you'll be out working and earning sooner" - is that true, even with loan interest? Sorry if this post seems all over the place. I'm just feeling really confused!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your shoes, I’d go to the OOS school. To hell with reapplying and going through another grueling application process, that really sucked and the thought of doing it again makes me want to vomit. 60k is a lot of money, especially with interest and I understand that’s gotta be hard to think about.

To me, getting started in my career and my adult life is worth it though but everyone has their own thoughts on loans/money/life and ultimately you’ll have to make the decision between time and money. Also, no guarantees you’ll get in to a cheaper school next year and then you’re stuck in the same boat..so do keep that in mind

Reactions: 13 users
I’ve been in a similar situation with only being accepted to island schools my first cycle. However island schools are more flexible with deferments than Stateside schools. So I would go to Illinois because you may be wasting money applying over and over again for your in state. Also, you’re not going to be the only vet who didn’t get into their instate.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And, if it makes you feel any better, I am also not going to my in-state.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel that vet school admissions are extremely unpredictable and you'd be throwing the dice with another cycle. You could end up with a CSU acceptance or you could end up being rejected everywhere, including Illinois, and lose your path towards becoming a vet entirely. This is different than the scenarios where I have commonly seen "pick the cheapest option" because you only have one option currently.

Reactions: 9 users
If this is what you truly want, accept the offer. Yes people (myself included) constantly say "pick the cheapest offer," however this is a different scenario. Applicant pools are so competitive that if you're serious about what you want, take the offer that's available. In my opinion it isn't worth the risk of waiting a year and potentially not getting any offers.

If you choose decline uiuc and apply next cycle, you have to make the decision yourself. You have to decide if you would be okay with never getting into vet school at any school if you choose that route. For some people, that’s the route they do choose and that’s okay. OOS prices aren’t worth it to some people to become a vet so they would rather not become one than pay OOS tuition/COA. If you had multiple offers this cycle, yes choose the cheapest one. That’s where this scenario plays in. If you have no other options, you pick whether you’d be okay taking the risk of never getting in for the chance at IS prices.

Reactions: 9 users
It's a very personal decision. However, I would take that spot if it was me. I have applied to my IS (tOSU) the last 4 years and have gotten interviewed and rejected 4 times. The first 2 years I only applied to my IS to try and make the best financial decision. I wish I had applied elsewhere from the get go. I am in my mid 30s and I'm ready to get my career going. I am lucky enough to be on 2 waitlists and still waiting to hear back from one school. I have a chance this year and I researched the 12 programs I applied to thoroughly, so I would be thrilled to get into any of them. Each year is more competitive than the next and there is no guarantee that you will get another offer in subsequent years. I would make a pros and cons list and think about what is most important to you -cost, support system, goals, lifetime earning potential, etc. I think it is great you got a position on your 1st cycle, you worked hard and you deserve it!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm worried about picking the cheapest school. My only option this year is UIUC
So UIUC is your cheapest school.

Sure, some other people have cheaper paths to becoming a veterinarian, but your choice is either take the seat at UIUC or be OK with not becoming a veterinarian.

Reactions: 14 users
Current CSU student and friends with a bunch of IS students who applied this past cycle. It is INCREDIBLY difficult to get in and if I were you, I’d go to the OOS. This is especially so because you love the program. I think that you could get in to CSU but who knows how long that might be? I know several students with higher GPA’s who have completed masters at CSU but still did not get in. I also know several extremely competitive applicants who moved and established residency in order to increase their chances of CSU admission.

I’m happy to talk specifics if you want! I just don’t feel comfortable posting their stats publicly. I do think you’re competitive but the application pool was absolutely insane this year just from my perspective. I can’t even imagine the applicants I don’t know who didn’t get in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You could end up with a CSU acceptance or you could end up being rejected everywhere, including Illinois, and lose your path towards becoming a vet entirely.
Yes, exactly! This is a HUGE concern! If there's one thing I learned this cycle, it's how incredibly difficult and competitive it is to get in anywhere. So many more qualified, incredible applicants than there are seats - I could easily end up with nothing if I tried again.

And, if it makes you feel any better, I am also not going to my in-state.
It does make me feel better, just because I followed your thread about picking the more expensive school and I really felt for you and your path! The amount of thought you were putting into your decision really impressed me and made me slow down and take a closer look at my own situation.

Each year is more competitive than the next and there is no guarantee that you will get another offer in subsequent years. I would make a pros and cons list and think about what is most important to you -cost, support system, goals, lifetime earning potential, etc. I think it is great you got a position on your 1st cycle, you worked hard and you deserve it!

Thank you! I honestly feel like everyone here has worked hard and deserves it. I've lost count of how many posts I've seen from amazing applicants that were denied or waitlisted. It's just insane! I will absolutely make pro/con list, but I already feel better about accepting UIUC after all the responses here.

I know several students with higher GPA’s who have completed masters at CSU but still did not get in. I also know several extremely competitive applicants who moved and established residency in order to increase their chances of CSU admission.

This is exactly what I was worried about - with 4,000+ total applicants, it seems like CSU must get a lot more than a few hundred IS applicants, so that's probably a deep pool. Especially if people are moving here just to be able to apply as IS! From the sounds of it, I'd have to do a masters there - and ace it - at the very least, and could easily still come up short. I'd hate to give up an opportunity to join a wonderful program OOS when the odds of being competitive enough IS are so slim. And - this might sound silly - part of me also really appreciates that UIUC liked me as is, without wanting anything more.

• Care
I think you know in your heart that you want to accept your seat, even though it’s crappy that your in-state didn’t accept you. With that being said, even the veterinarians who are hundreds of thousands in debt, still manage it (even if it’s ugly).

People wouldn’t go to OOS schools if the reward wasn’t worth the price tag. As long as you are certain this is your passion, which I’m sure you are, I say accept the seat and you’ll thank yourself in the future. We all end up where we are supposed to be, and maybe the universe wants you at UIUC for a reason you don’t know yet.

I have a feeling it's a good amount cheaper to live in Illinois vs Fort Collins. Have you considered that or was that already included in the calculation? Also, tuition goes up like 2% or so every year AND student loan interest rates have been going up so consider that as well. Also, if you start practicing a year earlier, you'll be making 6 figures a year earlier to help mitigate some or most of the extra costs. Like, let's say you are making $50,000/year right now (no idea if that's where you are, just a guess for a young professional salary in Colorado) My little packet from WSU said the average starting salary of their c/o 2022 was $111, 000. That's the $60k difference right there! I know there will be taxes, but you get the point.
So maybe that 60k different ends up not actually being a full 60k after all....

But on the other hand, there have been a number of people on here who have declined their seat, applied again the next year and have been more successful. Shoot, I even dropped out of school and was successful in reapplying, with a GPA slightly less than yours, and probably way less vet hours. I think there is definitely a small chance you are not accepted anywhere next year but there's a very good chance you are more successful especially with an awesome GPA like you have and good experiences. You've been through the cycle once so you'll have had practice interviewing and you can improve your essays too! Your GPA is above average, I don't think you need to worry about raising it with a masters at all.

I think either decision will work out okay for you in the end. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's the $60k difference right there!
I’m not saying OP should wait a year and reapply, since I also took the OOS option when it was my only option and my IS didn’t want me, but you *do* also have to factor in interest and interest ON your interest for the next 20 years so it does actually end up as a bigger than 60k difference.

Reactions: 1 user
At what point do we consider the “go to the cheapest school” mentality is detrimental? Vet school isn’t going to get any cheaper. The prices go up every year and continue to go up as @SkiOtter said. But what if by the time you get into your IS is several years down the line and you’re looking at a larger than $60k difference?

@SkiOtter yeah there is definitely more than one piece of the financial picture and I didn't account for that. I wasn't trying to say that there is not price difference, but maybe that over the lifetime, the difference could maybe be more like $30k with some solid financial planning. The extra maybe 60k income a year earlier can put a really solid dent in those student loans if it is allocated towards them.

And student loan interest rate increases are a super annoying reality right now, they've gone up 1% for this year, and interest rates have been very volatile going up across the board, so who knows what they'll be going forward but the general trend is up. Might be able to lock in a lower rate this year vs waiting til next year.

I am not a financial planner but I think consulting with one is wise!

Last edited:
The “go to the cheapest school” mantra around here is when you have options to choose from. I don’t think most of us here would ever advise turning down an acceptance in hand with the hope of achieving a cheaper option. Congratulations on your acceptance :)

Reactions: 12 users
At what point do we consider the “go to the cheapest school” mentality is detrimental? Vet school isn’t going to get any cheaper. The prices go up every year and continue to go up as @SkiOtter said. But what if by the time you get into your IS is several years down the line and you’re looking at a larger than $60k difference?
Like TRH said, it’s only recommended when you DO have options. If your only acceptance option is to go OOS or to reapply and hope that you either 1. Get into your IS or 2. Get into a cheaper OOS, I am not going to ever push for people to reapply. Because there is a solid chance of never getting in again if you do turn down your only acceptance to reapply. That decision is only something that that specific applicant can answer for themselves on whether that chance is worth it to them. It wasn’t worth it to me, especially after already having to reapply, but it is worth it to some and they would rather NOT go to vet school than take OOS loans.

It’s up to the applicant to determine what they’re willing to pay for a veterinary education before they just don’t apply. To some, maybe the debt is too risky and they aren’t willing to pay 400k to be a vet. It’s perfectly okay to say, nope I’m not even going to apply to this school with 400k+ COA) because you don’t want to pay that. I personally do not think this career is worth that extreme cost and I only ever planned to go to my in-state. Would I have changed my mind and eventually applied wider if I had been rejected as a naive pre-vet? Honestly probably yes back then but it’s perfectly okay to “settle” for your instate or nothing. Now that I’m on the graduated vet side of things, if I were forced to go back or advising a family member, I just flat out wouldn’t go to a school that cost over 300k. If I couldn’t go for an “affordable” cost, I’d pick a different career. honestly, though I love my job as a vet, I know that I’d probably be just as happy in a different career if I’d needed to make those decisions. People may disagree with that (especially aspiring vet students who still have stars in their eyes and want to be a vet more than anything), but that’s just my opinion. There can be an upper limit of what you’re willing to pay…just don’t apply to those expensive locations. Then you won’t be even put in the position of having to make decisions like this. But if you have multiple offers go to the cheapest school. If you don’t have multiple offers, you just have to decide if you’re okay with the possibility of not ever getting in if you decline an existing offer.

I hadn't seen this option mentioned so figured I'd throw it out there - if you decide to decline your seat, I'd seriously consider moving to Illinois and establishing residency there to reapply as an IS student if you can. It's something I've seen others do when waitlisted as OOS students at other schools and it has worked out well. Decent chance it would work out in this scenario too.

That being said, I'd take the spot. As others have said, our advice to go to your cheapest option really only applies during the application process (when you're deciding where to apply) and when you are choosing between multiple acceptances. I'm personally too risk averse to turn down an acceptance - I was in a similar boat where I was rejected at my IS and only got into an OOS option, though the overall difference in COA for me was a bit lower. Ended up going to the OOS school, final loan amount was ~220k so not great but not the worst. My only regret was not applying for more scholarships.

Ultimately it's a very personal decision though. I'm not sure what total COA will be for you at Illinois, but looking at that number and what you'll be looking at in terms of repayment (the VIN loan repayment simulator is great for this) might help you conceptualize things a bit better, so you can feel more comfortable with whatever you end up deciding.

We don't often (maybe ever?) tell people to only apply to their IS, though I do actually think really restricting to your cheapest choices at least in your first cycle is a solid decision. I agree with Jayna that I'd heavily advise people only to apply to places under about $300k. At least then you have a solid shot at a 3:1 debt to salary ratio, which is still awful, but liveable.

That being said, the "go to your cheapest option" advice is for when people have multiple acceptances and are considering where to go. I don't think that's ever going to be detrimental advice.

Frankly I think it is difficult for people to conceptualize how much of a difference the cost makes in your life long-term, until they're actually living with the debt and seeing the restrictions it places on their lives. Even now I have a hard time wrapping my head around it since with COVID (2020 grad) I haven't had to worry about payments and am just saving for the forgiveness taxes.

There are other things people forget to consider too. **** happens and you might have to take a leave of absence or repeat an entire year, you might end up with unexpected expenses, hell you might end up having to leave school entirely and still figure out how to handle a large amount of debt without the doctor salary. The economy might take another downswing and we might see salaries drop again. These are all good reasons to limit the expense of school as much as possible, beyond just making your life easier on the other side if everything goes according to plan.

Reactions: 5 users
We don't often (maybe ever?) tell people to only apply to their IS, though I do actually think really restricting to your cheapest choices at least in your first cycle is a solid decision. I agree with Jayna that I'd heavily advise people only to apply to places under about $300k. At least then you have a solid shot at a 3:1 debt to salary ratio, which is still awful, but liveable.

That being said, the "go to your cheapest option" advice is for when people have multiple acceptances and are considering where to go. I don't think that's ever going to be detrimental advice.

Frankly I think it is difficult for people to conceptualize how much of a difference the cost makes in your life long-term, until they're actually living with the debt and seeing the restrictions it places on their lives. Even now I have a hard time wrapping my head around it since with COVID (2020 grad) I haven't had to worry about payments and am just saving for the forgiveness taxes.

There are other things people forget to consider too. **** happens and you might have to take a leave of absence or repeat an entire year, you might end up with unexpected expenses, hell you might end up having to leave school entirely and still figure out how to handle a large amount of debt without the doctor salary. The economy might take another downswing and we might see salaries drop again. These are all good reasons to limit the expense of school as much as possible, beyond just making your life easier on the other side if everything goes according to plan.
That’s all totally understandable. It was more in the sense of OP deciding if they should reject or not for CSU.

Im instate for CSU and was waitlisted. CSU is also a very expensive instate school with instate tuition being closer than you would like to some out of state tuition at certain schools. I also have a old coworker younger than me wanting to go to vet school as well that goes to CSU and she said their applications are based upon luck of the draw type situations, and you're put into a pool based upon your statistics and they draw names because of how many applicants they get....don't shoot the messenger because I don't exactly know that this is true.

This was my first cycle, and I applied to 8 schools. I did not get into my in-state (Colorado), but was accepted to one school OOS, Illinois
I was born and raised in Colorado and applied over 3 cycles, including CSU each time. I was rejected each time (no interviews at that time). Illinois was my only acceptance and I went.

I'm headed to trivia now, but can respond more fully later tonight if I remember

I generally just tell people not to apply to schools they wouldn't be willing to go to. For me, I only applied to my IS first round because the debt of OOS was not something I wanted to take on without trying to be more financially responsible. But once you've put in that app and got that seat, I'd be hardpressed to recommend against letting it go.

Reactions: 6 users
Remember you also lose a year salary as a DVM too by deferring.

So going to the cheapest school is the general recommendation, however, that is when you have two options to attend. If you had both your cheaper in-state and more expensive OOS option to pick between, we would say 100% attend your in-state. That is not the case here. You option is attend OOS or decline the offer and try again next year. If you decline and try again, you MUST be ok with possibly never getting accepted into vet school and never attending, because that is entirely possible.

If you are set on being a veterinarian, then attend the OOS option. If the idea of paying as much as the OOS school costs has you second guessing or not wanting to become a vet, well, that is a telling sign.

In this case the "go to the cheapest school" doesn't really apply as you don't have cheaper school A vs. more expensive school B to pick from.

I'm also (shockingly) not as big of a stickler as some on the cheapest school, like at some point you are going to be stuck with the same ball and chain as everyone else. Like $350k isn't going to make you any less trapped than $375k, sure the tax bill at the end will be more for $375k and I am not saying that shouldn't be considered, but you are going to be just as stuck in the same boat regardless. If the "cheaper" school is only $500 less, meh, whatever, kind of a drop in the bucket at that point. Heck even only $5k more expensive isn't a "big deal" when we are talking about overall debt of hundreds of thousands. There are some nuances, for sure, but generally picking the cheaper school when you have an option really should be the top consideration when you have a choice between two schools.

Reactions: 7 users
I absolutely recommend going to Illinois if it's your only acceptance. For me, it was either to, or move on since I had already applied three times and that was my limit. If you plan to move back to Colorado, financially it is feasible though hard to manage the debt depending on where you live.

Thank you all so much for the insight and advice! I really don't know a lot of other people who truly understand the situation, or how hard it is to get (or consider giving up) a seat anywhere. I didn't go to an undergrad with a pre-vet program, I don't personally know anyone else applying to vet school, and most of my friends and family just don't seem to understand how difficult this whole process is. I do work in a vet office, but the two vets there who went OOS both encouraged me to try again for IS because of the expense. So I deeply appreciate having you all here to get advice from, because I know you all really get it.

I did apply to the schools that are cheaper than CSU, as well as a few more expensive ones I was personally drawn to - that's how Illinois was pulled in. As several people recommended, I am going to do some research to compare the COL, because I feel like there has to be more variance than it shows on the AAVMC cost estimator. Rent alone must be at least twice as expensive in Fort Collins than it is in Champaign, because it certainly is in Denver or Greeley! And if I did a one year masters at CSU before reapplying, that would also cut into any future savings I'd see if I was accepted IS. And that's a big if! I think there are definitely some ways to close that 60K gap, If I'm smart about it. I'm hoping to be able to visit UIUC before the April deadline, but I feel really good about it. I feel like I can go back to just being ecstatic about getting in. Thank you!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Omg! I am not on here very much and for some reason clicked on this thread - meant to be. I am from Colorado and am currently a first year... At UIUC!! I was denied everywhere except Illinois, and frankly it was one of my top choices anyway. Even in-state tuition in Colorado is SO expensive, and then living costs on top of that are insane. In Illinois, I'm comfortable living on my savings from the many gap years I took. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions or anything you might be thinking about the transition from Colorado to Illinois. Just reply or shoot me a message 😊

Omg! I am not on here very much and for some reason clicked on this thread - meant to be. I am from Colorado and am currently a first year... At UIUC!! I was denied everywhere except Illinois, and frankly it was one of my top choices anyway. Even in-state tuition in Colorado is SO expensive, and then living costs on top of that are insane. In Illinois, I'm comfortable living on my savings from the many gap years I took. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions or anything you might be thinking about the transition from Colorado to Illinois. Just reply or shoot me a message 😊
THIS IS AMAZING!! I'm a big believer in signs and I 100% believe this is one! I can't even tell you how reassuring it is to hear from someone who was in almost *exactly* the same place that I am now. Everyone here has been so supportive, and has made me feel really good about accepting my seat at Illinois, but something about hearing from fellow Coloradans like you and @battie gives me an extra boost of confidence about it. This might sound weird, but I feel like if you guys can jump, so can I!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you to all the doctors who posted on this thread! Your words have eased my anxiety, since I am in the same predicament as the original poster. I'm still deciding, because I was accepted to a few schools, but right now going the cheapest is my top choice since it'll save me almost 80k-100k at the end, plus its in the lovely city of Dublin.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you to all the doctors who posted on this thread! Your words have eased my anxiety, since I am in the same predicament as the original poster. I'm still deciding, because I was accepted to a few schools, but right now going the cheapest is my top choice since it'll save me almost 80k-100k at the end, plus its in the lovely city of Dublin.
I loved Dublin when I visited. And 80-100K savings is no joke!

Thank you all so much for the insight and advice! I really don't know a lot of other people who truly understand the situation, or how hard it is to get (or consider giving up) a seat anywhere. I didn't go to an undergrad with a pre-vet program, I don't personally know anyone else applying to vet school, and most of my friends and family just don't seem to understand how difficult this whole process is. I do work in a vet office, but the two vets there who went OOS both encouraged me to try again for IS because of the expense. So I deeply appreciate having you all here to get advice from, because I know you all really get it.

I did apply to the schools that are cheaper than CSU, as well as a few more expensive ones I was personally drawn to - that's how Illinois was pulled in. As several people recommended, I am going to do some research to compare the COL, because I feel like there has to be more variance than it shows on the AAVMC cost estimator. Rent alone must be at least twice as expensive in Fort Collins than it is in Champaign, because it certainly is in Denver or Greeley! And if I did a one year masters at CSU before reapplying, that would also cut into any future savings I'd see if I was accepted IS. And that's a big if! I think there are definitely some ways to close that 60K gap, If I'm smart about it. I'm hoping to be able to visit UIUC before the April deadline, but I feel really good about it. I feel like I can go back to just being ecstatic about getting in. Thank you!!
I’m a little late to the party, but just wanted to give you some insight on cost of living in Champaign/UIUC as a whole. I’m a current 3rd year at UIUC. This was the only school out of 4 that I was accepted to and man am I glad that I got rejected everywhere else. I absolutely love it here. The opportunities are endless, especially if you’re interested in “non-traditional” vet med (research, conservation, zoo med, public health, etc.) There’s truly something for everyone. I love that we get so much hands on experience early on. The wildlife medical clinic is a major plus too. Everyone here wants to see you succeed. I’m so glad that you’re joining our Illini family!

As for cost of living, it is super cheap. I previously lived in Des Moines, Iowa and paid much more in rent for a smaller house than I have in Illinois (wild though because you would think Iowa would be cheaper). For reference, I rented a 3 bed 1 bath house with a fenced in yard last year for $1000 per month. I was able to swing living alone too. My boyfriend bought a house here this past fall and our mortgage is still very affordable (~$1200 a month). If you live close enough to campus, you will use little gas. A full tank lasts me about a month during the school year. This saves quite a bit of money. There are several on campus jobs that you can apply for if you want to cut down on loans. A good portion of my class has a job. With our exam schedule, I find that it’s not too difficult to work during the school year. I hope this helps a bit! We’re excited to have you!