Accept or Reject Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what to do, here, guys, so can someone help me out? (Please don't take this the wrong way. My parents really are worried that I may make a bad decision over this without guidance...)

I applied for two programs, one at National Institutes of Health, and another that served as a research program focusing on bioinformatics, not medicine. Basically, mapping, statistics, population analysis, 3D models. No pipets, no ethanol, no gloves. Pure bioinformatics.

I got accepted to the research program, but I have 1 week to accept or reject. I've got research experience under my belt, but... no clinical experience. I was hoping to get a clinical experience at the NIH, but with this popping up, I don't know what to do... I could accept the program and use up my last summer before application-summer for more research, or I could run the gauntlet of getting some research experience and some shadowing...

I really don't know what to do. I really feel like I'm weak on the clinical experience side, but if I gamble now, I could regret it later if nothing comes up, and I'll have lost both opportunities.

My application isn't very strong, so I'm going to place my chances for NIH at maybe 30-50% chance of getting in, but I feel like I'm digging a deeper hole for myself by not working in a clinical position.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know what to do, here, guys, so can someone help me out? (Please don't take this the wrong way. My parents really are worried that I may make a bad decision over this without guidance...)

I applied for two programs, one at National Institutes of Health, and another that served as a research program focusing on bioinformatics, not medicine. Basically, mapping, statistics, population analysis, 3D models. No pipets, no ethanol, no gloves. Pure bioinformatics.

I got accepted to the research program, but I have 1 week to accept or reject. I've got research experience under my belt, but... no clinical experience. I was hoping to get a clinical experience at the NIH, but with this popping up, I don't know what to do... I could accept the program and use up my last summer before application-summer for more research, or I could run the gauntlet of getting some research experience and some shadowing...

I really don't know what to do. I really feel like I'm weak on the clinical experience side, but if I gamble now, I could regret it later if nothing comes up, and I'll have lost both opportunities.

My application isn't very strong, so I'm going to place my chances for NIH at maybe 30-50% chance of getting in, but I feel like I'm digging a deeper hole for myself by not working in a clinical position.

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Take the research program, do it. Then do clinical 2-10 hours a week during the academic year. Com'on you can spare a few hours a week can't you. Tighten the belt a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the NIH experience -- this will stand out on your application. You can get clinical/shadowing anytime. If you don't have time during the school year, worst case you could do some over next winter break.