Acceptable Identification for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Busy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked around and I couldn't find an answer for my concern, hopefully you guys can help me out.

I recently lost my driver's license, and I won't be able to get a new picture ID until after the test date. My passport is expired, so that's no good. The only "official" identification I have left is my Citizenship. However, this was done when I was like 11. As far as I know, this doesn't expire (I HOPE!). Is this acceptable? The picture of me is obviously when I was much younger, but it has my name, my DOB and all that good stuff, and my signature. Would this suffice? Or am I sol?

Members don't see this ad.

For your ID to be considered valid, it must be a current valid government-issued ID containing an expiration date, your photo, and signature (e.g., driver's license or passport) in which the name matches that of your registration exactly. We regret we cannot accept employee IDs, library cards, school IDs, or other similar forms of identification, even if issued by a government-sponsored institution. The Test Center Administrator will admit only those examinees who can be positively identified through qualifying forms of identification. Your ID may be electronically swiped to check its validity and a scanned image of ID may be captured.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/taking/

I looked around and I couldn't find an answer for my concern, hopefully you guys can help me out.

I recently lost my driver's license, and I won't be able to get a new picture ID until after the test date. My passport is expired, so that's no good. The only "official" identification I have left is my Citizenship. However, this was done when I was like 11. As far as I know, this doesn't expire (I HOPE!). Is this acceptable? The picture of me is obviously when I was much younger, but it has my name, my DOB and all that good stuff, and my signature. Would this suffice? Or am I sol?
When is your test? Can you get a rush order on your new driver's license or maybe state issued ID? Normally, they will do it for a fee.

Hey! You're in luck!

I was in this EXACT same situation for my September test last year. Although I ended up not taking it for other reasons, you can actually get around your problem. Your state ID will NOT come in time. Neither will your passport (even if you pay and rush it). I ordered both a state ID and a passport and neither came in time.

What I did though is call the AMCAS (or whichever number the MCAT gives you for questions). I explained my situation, and they redirected me to a manager. The manager asked me some questions (SSN number, etc) and had me fax over a copy of my student ID. Unfortunately you can't fax over your citizenship because it's illegal to make copies of it unless it's for government use. This is the same reason you can't use it for the MCAT (they can't make a copy). Anyways, once she was satisfied (she even talked to my parents haha) she sent me a letter that would have let me get into the testing center without an ID, had I decided to take the test.

I mean, she probably felt it was safe because they take your picture and fingerprint you anyways, so even with a fake ID it's near impossible to have someone else take the test for you.

So go ahead and give them a call! Hope you get the same nice lady I did :xf:

EDIT: If that doesn't work, I guess try and rush your passport or licence or state ID. Maybe you'll get lucky?