Acceptance after rejection... Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been rejected to a school that I really want to attend. I have an appointment to discuss my application weaknesses. Is it possible to re-state my case and potentially convince them to grant me an interview? Does anyone have any experience with this or am I out of luck for this year with that school?

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools would have a lot of trouble if people thought this was possible... If one person was able to do it, every single person would try it. They probably have enough trouble deciding between people they have already interviewed at this point, so I'm sure they will not look kindly on this. There would have to be an extremely good explanation, and even then I would expect most schools not to allow this on principle.

I know someone who was rejected from her top choice and then appealed for an interview -- she was then accepted after the interview. It's really not that uncommon. If you want to go there enough and think you're qualified, by all means, let the admissions committee know.

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
There was someone in an SMP that I know who was rejected (stellar applicant too) because grades were not sent in on time. He confronted the adcom and his application was salvaged from the rejection (after interview) pile back into review again. Technically, if he gets accepted, he would have been accepted after rejection. However, these circumstances are far from common, and happen to the few and far between. Unless your circumstances of being rejected can be reversed by a compelling reason, your chances of getting "unrejected" may be far fetched. Your application was also rejected pre-secondary as well- which might make it extremely difficult to ask them to look at it again and to reconsider. OP, what would you say to the adcom to take a look back into your case again?

you would be surprised. i have a friend who got rejected almost immediately from both UCSF and Stanford post-secondary. she wrote a letter to UCSF stating that she was really interested in their school, and the following week the dean of admissions called her and invited her to interview. so it IS possible, i think, however slim that chance may be.

it should be noted, however, that my friend's application is extremely strong. >40 MCAT, 3.85 overall GPA, >3.9 BCPM GPA, summa cum laude graduate in three years, etc.

You also have to realize that some of those schools that rejected applicants may also some type of formula (whatever it is) that determines who is to be further reviewed, who is to be rejected, who is to get an interview or not. Perhaps as a result of some human error, stellar applicants may have been "mistakenly" rejected. Reappealing may bring the mistake to the attention of the committee. What are your stats OP?

I know someone who was rejected from her top choice and then appealed for an interview -- she was then accepted after the interview. It's really not that uncommon. If you want to go there enough and think you're qualified, by all means, let the admissions committee know.

Good luck to you!

Yeah but he's not appealing. This adcomm has granted him a chance to find out the problems in his application so he can improve them next year. I can't see them being very appreciative of him instead using it as a chance to argue why he should be admitted.

If he wants to appeal for interview he needs to go through the appropriate channels - not blind-side the dean.

ignore the previous trolls.

OP you should argue the best you can the worst they can tell you is no and the best they can say is wow we want to now accept you. go for it.:luck:

3.95 GPA, 31 MCAT. Clearly MCAT is low but not far from the avg. I am not applying to a top 20 school or anything. Life situations that are unique that when further explained to them may convince them that I would add diversity to the school and add to the incoming class. I am a horrible writer and thus my personal statement and secondary essays may not have been able to clearly state what I am trying to convey. I am not going to argue with them just calmly state my case in 2 minutes.

Yeah but he's not appealing. This adcomm has granted him a chance to find out the problems in his application so he can improve them next year. I can't see them being very appreciative of him instead using it as a chance to argue why he should be admitted.

If he wants to appeal for interview he needs to go through the appropriate channels - not blind-side the dean.

agreed. If you're going to try to appeal your decision... you're not going to win hearts and minds going there under false pre-tenses.

It's hard enough to get schools to meet with you to tell you why they rejected you. Don't make them regret there decision to help other applicants out.

it would take balls to confront them about their decision...