Acceptance but waitlisted at top-choice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissMichellie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am pretty new to this site and I have a question that may have been asked before but I cannot seem to find an answer. I am hoping that someone out there in SDN land can help.

I received an acceptance (WAHOO) off of a wait-list at one school. I am still on the wait-list of my top-choice school but they have not returned my email or voicemail I have left inquiring about my status (from other threads it appears that others are having the same problem).

I have until the 14th to send in the letter stating whether I want to Accept or Decline their acceptance. I will of course Accept if I do not hear from my top-choice school by then; however, if I do Accept and then receive an acceptance (fingers crossed) from my school of choice after that, could I rescind my acceptance to the first school without problem (except for losing the seat-holding fee) and accept the acceptance to my top-choice?

Members don't see this ad.

MissMichellie said:
if I do Accept and then receive an acceptance (fingers crossed) from my school of choice after that, could I rescind my acceptance to the first school without problem (except for losing the seat-holding fee) and accept the acceptance to my top-choice?

I don't see why not... people do that all of the time! that's why a lot of WL's continue to move until the 1st day of class

Send the deposit to the school that has given you the acceptance if you don't receive word soon.

Immediately send a letter to "Top Choice School" saying that you have an acceptance to another medical school (b/c they can tell, don't bother mentioning the name). This does not impact anything. They are still your favorite and you will withdraw your acceptance if granted an acceptance to "Top Choice School"

If Top Choice School" does let you in, you're only out the deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes but make sure you know when the beginning of orientation for each school is. If the school you are currently accepted to begins in July and the other one doesn't start till September, you only have till the matriculation date to hear from the desired school. :luck:

MissMichellie said:
however, if I do Accept and then receive an acceptance (fingers crossed) from my school of choice after that, could I rescind my acceptance to the first school without problem (except for losing the seat-holding fee) and accept the acceptance to my top-choice?

this is exactly how the entire waitlist process works. You have a seat, then a school you like more offers you, and you give up your seat at the other school.

In other words of course you can do this.

MissMichellie said:
Hello!
I am pretty new to this site and I have a question that may have been asked before but I cannot seem to find an answer. I am hoping that someone out there in SDN land can help.

I received an acceptance (WAHOO) off of a wait-list at one school. I am still on the wait-list of my top-choice school but they have not returned my email or voicemail I have left inquiring about my status (from other threads it appears that others are having the same problem).

I have until the 14th to send in the letter stating whether I want to Accept or Decline their acceptance. I will of course Accept if I do not hear from my top-choice school by then; however, if I do Accept and then receive an acceptance (fingers crossed) from my school of choice after that, could I rescind my acceptance to the first school without problem (except for losing the seat-holding fee) and accept the acceptance to my top-choice?

Yep, you can definitely do that. After May 15th you're only allowed to hold one acceptance at a time, but you can hold any number of waitlist positions. So, if you are accepted to your first choice later in the summer, you just have to drop the acceptance at the current school.

Thanks for all of the responses!

I just wanted to make sure. I am super excited about my acceptance but one from my top-choice would be all that much more wonderful!!

squareDR said:
Yes but make sure you know when the beginning of orientation for each school is. If the school you are currently accepted to begins in July and the other one doesn't start till September, you only have till the matriculation date to hear from the desired school. :luck:

This is the suckiest part of this process... Good luck

I'm in that situation - I've got a good acceptance, but I'm on a better waitlist. :oops:

TheProwler said:
I'm in that situation - I've got a good acceptance, but I'm on a better waitlist. :oops:

Ditto. :( Come ON top choice, let me in!