Invited to an on-campus event for diverse students at my top choice school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad_FL_LGBT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a 2.5 day event including all meals with members of faculty or current students, and I'll be housed by a current student for the duration. The first full day is a lot of panels and informational sessions, plus shadowing a few classes with the M2s. The second day is at the Sim center and talking with faculty.

What should I do with this golden goose? Of course I have lots of questions to ask please give me some general advice to not screw up this opportunity!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! Quick reply answers below. Is this before or after your formal interview with the program?

First, your goal is to figure whether you could thrive there. You get an immersing opportunity to interact with students as if they were your upper class peers.

Organize the questions you have. Prepare for questions they will ask you (tell me about yourself, why their school, passions/points for advocacy, updates). Find out why you should move there and what sort you get outside of the school and university; pay attention to how much effort you make to schedule this visit.

Sort your questions by most urgent to least, knowing you should likely have only one chance per panel (or three to be nice) to ask a question.

How many candidates in this session? How much time do you have to mix and mingle? Dress codes? How much do you have in common with your host?

Reactions: 2 users
It's a 2.5 day event including all meals with members of faculty or current students, and I'll be housed by a current student for the duration. The first full day is a lot of panels and informational sessions, plus shadowing a few classes with the M2s. The second day is at the Sim center and talking with faculty.

What should I do with this golden goose? Of course I have lots of questions to ask please give me some general advice to not screw up this opportunity!
Be pleasant and nice to all you meet, including the secretaries.
Ask questions you really want to know about the school, especially when you have a chance to mingle with current students.
Respect the privacy of your student host & let them get things done on their schedule.
Don't overshare personal information, drink in moderation.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Quick reply answers below. Is this before or after your formal interview with the program?

First, your goal is to figure whether you could thrive there. You get an immersing opportunity to interact with students as if they were your upper class peers.

Organize the questions you have. Prepare for questions they will ask you (tell me about yourself, why their school, passions/points for advocacy, updates). Find out why you should move there and what sort you get outside of the school and university; pay attention to how much effort you make to schedule this visit.

Sort your questions by most urgent to least, knowing you should likely have only one chance per panel (or three to be nice) to ask a question.

How many candidates in this session? How much time do you have to mix and mingle? Dress codes? How much do you have in common with your host?
I have not yet received an II, but I just submitted my secondary around 10 days ago. This program was a separate application that I submitted at the end of July.

Not sure on the logistics yet, they will be sending an actual itinerary sometime soon. I plan on dressing formally unless it explicitly says not to though. I will be receiving a host match in the next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Be pleasant and nice to all you meet, including the secretaries.
Ask questions you really want to know about the school, especially when you have a chance to mingle with current students.
Respect the privacy of your student host & let them get things done on their schedule.
Don't overshare personal information, drink in moderation.
Thank God I'm 30 and not the idiot I was at 20, lol. Thanks for the solid all-around advice. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Keep us in the loop. I am pleasantly happy that at least one school is being proactive in giving marginalized or underrepresented applicants an additional opportunity for networking (this is a focused recruitment event, so I don't think it falls under the legal scrutiny of SCOTUS as an admissions decision [but I'm not a lawyer]). Do not go into it thinking you have an interview coming; you might or you might not.

Reactions: 1 users