Acceptance calls-funny stories!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisdom2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people have said to deans calling them to let them know they've been accepted. I think I'd be so ecstatic, I'd probably lose my speech, and end up screaming or hanging up involuntarily. What really are you supposed to say? thank you? ...

By the way, has anyone heard from UConn? I interviewed there the first week of November. I am still anxiously waiting to hear from them. Do they call? email? and send letters in the mail?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by wisdom2000
Just wondering what people have said to deans calling them to let them know they've been accepted. I think I'd be so ecstatic, I'd probably lose my speech, and end up screaming or hanging up involuntarily. What really are you supposed to say? thank you? ...

By the way, has anyone heard from UConn? I interviewed there the first week of November. I am still anxiously waiting to hear from them. Do they call? email? and send letters in the mail?

Thanks.

When I got accepted into a strong medical school, I simply said, "thanks but I'll have to get back to you. I'm waiting on other schools."

You have to be confident in yourself and know that you're all that. Simply, by you writing this thread makes me think that you lack confidence in yourself and you are an "unsure" human being. -Not good at all. Simply, is this the kind of medical doctor that you are going to become?

Please, be more confident in yourself.

No acceptance stories (yet!). But, I have an interview at UCONN in two weeks - how was your interview?

C.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see where you are coming from with your analysis. But, getting accepted into medical school, especially when becoming a physician is all your dream, is still an overwhelming joy. There are a lot of very qualified applicants out there who never get into med school. Being cocky is certainly not the best way to be as a doctor either. Now go figure!

My interview at UConn was awesome. Everyone there is so friendly and nice. I went there they day before and hung out at the school that night. Everyone was telling about the own experience and telling me about how much they loved it there.
Both student and faculty interviews went very well. The dean of the school and the director of admissions also meet the applicants at the beginning of the day. It's almost like a mini interview. They went around asking everyone about their stories, from birth to present, while they took notes. But, it's all very low stress and exciting.
Just be yourself, relax, and make the most out of it.

Good Luck!

PM me if you have any specific questions

Originally posted by Mikdoc

You have to be confident in yourself and know that you're all that. Simply, by you writing this thread makes me think that you lack confidence in yourself and you are an "unsure" human being. -Not good at all. Simply, is this the kind of medical doctor that you are going to become?

That's totally bull! I've spent 10 years getting my acceptance, and I'm going to be happy and excited every time I get accepted into the best medical education system the world has ever known. I'm going to become a human and grateful doctor, if you want to know.

Wow....confidence is one thing, arrogance is another. And what happened to humility? I don't want to go to medschool with people like mikdoc!

OK, here's my story:

I Had a hard Wednesday afternoon, so some of my research colleages and I decided we'd meet on the other side of town for drinks. I know that the U of MN probably voted on my application that day, and that I could call tomorrow or Friday to get the decision, so I was a bit stressed. I got in my car and started driving through the city during rush hour when my phone rings. It's my mom, who says very quickly "TheUniversityOfMinnesota is trying to reach you HangUpNowBye." I immediately hung up and stared at my phone, waiting for it to ring. Five minutes later my mom calls back. She explains that the admissions office is trying to contact me, but can't. She gives me the number for the dead of admissions and says "do you think this is good news?" I know it's pretty standard for the dead of admissions at Minnesota to call people, so I'm pretty sure I got in. I tell her that I'm sure it is, hang up and call the number.....ring.....voicemail....redial......ring.....voicemail
...minutes go by....
then finally it rings twice, and then I hear the voice of the director of admissions. She says something like "The committee on admissions has met and has carefully evaluated your application." At this point it sounds like a rejection letter to me. but then "I am please to tell you that we are offering you a spot for the class of 2007." She then mentions that she had trouble contacting me, and that the woman on the phone was very eager to find out what was going on. I explained that my mom was like that. Turns out my mom first asked if it was good news, was told that she couldn't disclose that, and then said "well, if you're calling I just have a feeling it must be good news," to which the director of admissions laughed. When hanging up my mom yelled "Go Gophers!".

Sheesh!

So then I called my fiance. I woke her up from a nap. "Hullo" she said grogilly. I said that I had just gotten off the phone with the direcotor of admissions at the U of M, and that I had been admitted. "Woo hoo" she quietly said, and then "I'm going back to bed, goodnight." About an hour later she called and apologized. I had woken her up from a deep nap, and she was convinced I was getting in.

When I got accepted into a strong medical school, I simply said, "thanks but I'll have to get back to you. I'm waiting on other schools."

You answer works if the dean said "oh please please are you going to attend our school?" I doubt it, he probably just congratulated you and told you, you got in.
By being excited you are not confident in yourself. Damn there goes 98% of all normal people on the planet. Talk about apathetic.
Lastly, if you are able to judge that "you are an unsure human being" from one comment - either your damn amazing or you are a complete idiot. You can guess which one I am leaning towards (you seem to be able to figure out people really well). I just hope you are more careful about judging your patients and especially diagnosing them based on their one comment.

X

mikdoc is full of shiit. just check out the beet other premeds thread in which he signed up as another user just defend his pathetic self. don't worry about this guy.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
mikdoc is full of shiit. just check out the beet other premeds thread in which he signed up as another user just defend his pathetic self. don't worry about this guy.

Shut the fuc* up Street Philosopher...what's with that "street philosopher" **** anyway. You sound like a little high school kid to me...are you?

Shut the fuc* up Street Philosopher...what's with that "street philosopher" **** anyway. You sound like a little high school kid to me...are you?

:laugh:

:laugh: nope, he's not a little high school kid, he's that 12 yr old at all the MSTP interviews. sheesh, catch up! :rolleyes: :laugh:

the trolls just make me laugh sometimes.

Random thoughts....

Street's icon reminds me of qweewq11's.

Yeah, exactly. It's always good to make the other people feel unimportant in these situations. I did the same thing when my husband asked me to marry him....just tucked the ring in my pocket and said, "I'll let you know when I decide."

sheesh, give me a break...

At my Ohio State interview, at the conclusion the interviewer took my hand and said something along the lines of "we've so enjoyed having you visit with us; welcome to the Ohio State University College of Medicine." I was pretty stoked, but not absolutely certain. Then when I got home (it was a two hour drive), there was a message on my answering machine from the same lady, telling me I'd been accepted. I was overjoyed, nonsensical and ecstatic, but she didn't have to listen to my insensible babblings since the office was closed by that time.

Just to reassure applicants: this was several years ago, and OSU had a policy of notification within a few days. I don't think they do that now.

Good luck guys!

adcadet.... who is the dead of admissions?
:D
twice!!
thats funny :laugh:

Originally posted by GoodMonkey
:laugh: nope, he's not a little high school kid, he's that 12 yr old at all the MSTP interviews. sheesh, catch up! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Oh **** SP, they figured you out!!! ;)

So you were not the least bit excited? I mean come on....med school is so competitive that one acceptance is a wonderful accomplishment! I was soooo happy when i got my acceptance.....I dont think by screaming because you got accepted means that you are not confident in yourself. I really have no idea where you came up with that...