Acceptance chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

terryberry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to U. of Tenn. Memphis and ETSU for class of 2001 (among others, I live in TN). My science GPA is 3.83 and I have ~6 months volunteer exp. in an ER. My application has already been received along with my transcripts. I expect ~27 MCAT (this is what I scored on practice tests). My extracurriculars and recommendations are probably my weaknesses. Anyone accepted in Tennessee (or elsewhere) with similar stats?
I appreciate any replys.

Members don't see this ad.

Oops, I meant the class entering in 2001!

hi terryberry,
your GPA is very high. Your score from the practice MCAT is mediocre for both UT Mem and ETSU. I don't think recommendation letters are all that important to those schools. I think you have a reasonable chance of getting in. If you have some relatives that are alumni of those schools, you have a much better chance to get in. Well, that's just my 2 cents. I am not yet accepted to these schools but hopefully will be. Good luck to you
wink.gif

Congrats on your awesome GPA. I hope I don't offend you when I say that you need to work on your MCAT a bit. I believe that to be competitive to any medical school, you need at least a 30. However, volunteer experience is a plus. One recommendation: Show them your heart, your desire to become a doctor. It's mostly HEART, not GPA or MCAT. With your score, you should get interviews at these two schools, but you need to show them you like their school and that you're ready to be a doctor! Good luck!