What are my chance for prestigious radiology programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radhopeful2023

Reaction score
US MD student wondering if I should be sending 8/12 of my signals to BWH, mass gen, yale, penn, cornell etc... or if it would be a waste.

Background
4th year med student at unranked but respected school in the NE. We do match to ivy schools every year but not necessarily in rads. I decided on rads in second year but was originally going for a surg subspeciality so kept up some of my research in those so I have some non rads publications and activities.
step 1: pass
step 2: 271
Grades: honored every clerkship, only the top 25% can honor at my school. Class rank is top 15% in my class they give you a special distinction on your MSPE. All of my comments are wonderful
Letters: 1 surg, one family med, one radiology, 1 chair medicine letter for prelim years that's more generic
AOA: not sure yet; being announced soon, but I'm hopeful.
Research:
  • 10 online peer reviewed radiology cases (RSNA/ Radiopedia type things)
  • One online review paper that I'm second author not in rads
  • 2nd author on a non rads abstract published in a real journal
  • a few blog posts
  • one online first author real case report not in rads
  • 4 posters, one rads
  • 2 oral presentations, non rads
Leadership:
  • I have some club leadership and volunteer leadership
Work experience
  • took some time off before med school and worked a real job
I will have 10 activities here just trying to be a little vague

My only concern is my unranked school holding me back. I would appreciate any feedback and also any suggestions for some schools in the northeast that would be considered safer matches than the powerhouse programs I mentioned above. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Signal all those top 10's so you can save some spots for the rest of us!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re not an applicant for top 10 programs then who is? Chill, you’ll match just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably but maybe a bit low on the research side for top 10 as I don’t believe the online articles are indexed

Reactions: 1 user
Probably but maybe a bit low on the research side for top 10 as I don’t believe the online articles are indexed
Nahh they'd still certainly interview. They have some research, they have a strong continuity of interest and contributions to radiology, and have stellar stats.

Anecdotally from how my friends and peers matched last cycle - he has enough research and contributions to interview at programs they listed.

Though for signaling - check their websites, some of those places may say they accept signals on ERAS but their application sites may say otherwise. In those cases it'd be a wasted signal since they do not filter by them and won't even see if you signaled or not. You see this more commonly at top programs since they know any one would want to go there and they want to collect the best applicants they can

Do top rads programs care a lot about clinical grades?

Nahh they'd still certainly interview. They have some research, they have a strong continuity of interest and contributions to radiology, and have stellar stats.

Anecdotally from how my friends and peers matched last cycle - he has enough research and contributions to interview at programs they listed.

Though for signaling - check their websites, some of those places may say they accept signals on ERAS but their application sites may say otherwise. In those cases it'd be a wasted signal since they do not filter by them and won't even see if you signaled or not. You see this more commonly at top programs since they know any one would want to go there and they want to collect the best applicants they can
Thanks I didnt even realize about some not accepting signals. Will check it out!