Acceptance chances for specialty programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billiken10

I hated headgear.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying to dental school this year while I'm doing some post-bacc work to shore up my Sci GPA from undergrad studies. My stats:

DAT: 19/20
Sci GPA: 2.84
GPA:3.32

I guess I have just two main questions.
1) Do these stats make me a competent dental school applicant as is? (I am retaking the DAT in a week)
2) If I want to specialize after DDS, (ie. Orthodontics), approximately what ranking in my D-school class would I need to be a viable candidate? Top 10%? Top 5%?

I really hope that I can get in first of all, before I really start worrying about this stuff. Is it true, at least today, that the hardest part about becoming a dentist is simply getting accepted into a program?

Any advice or commentary would be appreciated!!!

Billiken10
Class of 2009 - Somewhere Univ. (I hope!)

Members don't see this ad.

To become a dentist the most difficult part is probably going to be just getting into a school. There will be other bumps along the way, but nothing you can't at least pass to graduate.

As far specialization, you need to be Top 5-10% in your class and have excellent board scores and well as an excellent GPA.

This is just my random opinion, but somebody who has a mediocre undergrad GPA probably won't be able to change themselves sufficiently to get a top 5-10% class rank. That doesn't mean you can't try, though, but your undergrad GPA isn't anything to be too excited about.

Your DAT score is actally pretty decent, the thing that jumped out to me was your science GPA. It's not horrible, but it would be better if it was above a 3.0. If you interview well, and show motivation, you should have a pretty good chance of getting in somewhere. Plus if you do get an awesome score on the DAT when you retake it, that would be helpful.

No, the hardest part of dental school is NOT just getting in (for most people it isn't the hardest part, but for some it may be) some people I know with very low stats getting into dental school, did VERY well once they got into dental school, but I would say that is the exception, not the rule.

Traditionally, if you want to do ortho, you have had to be in the top 10% of your class. There are exceptions to this though, so don't look at it as a rule, just a guide.

Good luck with you apps.

grtuck

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
This is just my random opinion, but somebody who has a mediocre undergrad GPA probably won't be able to change themselves sufficiently to get a top 5-10% class rank. That doesn't mean you can't try, though, but your undergrad GPA isn't anything to be too excited about.

I don't think that this is true - Look at Yah-e. I wouldn't discourage anyone from exploring any avenue of education; although this persons worries are a bit premature. I would concentrate on trying to get into dental school. Once your in dental school, then explore the specialties. No sense in worrying about specialties if you can't get a DDS.

I disagree with the statement that the hardest thing about becoming a dentist is getting into dental school. Being a good dentist is hard!

I agree with DrRob. But for my own reasons.

If you are not going to be happy being a general dentist, don't bank on the idea of specializing. It would not be worth it to go through four years, then "forced" into not specializing. Plus, an insanely high number of predents want to go into ortho, and considering the number that end up going after four years, for most this is not a reality. Yes, the thrill of not getting your hands dirty but still making good income is enticing to many, many predents. (I had to throw in an orthodontist joke because of my extreme jealousy!! :D ) Not to knock down your dreams, but everyone in dental school is EXTREMELY SMART, especially with science. Your lower science grades aren't competitive. Even if you think you are amazing, there will be people who amaze you when you get in. As said before, get into dental school first, then worry about specializing. (It sure is okay to have goals.)

These are all very fair estimates of my stats and of my chances. However, my experience as an undergrad, just like yours, is unique to me. I understand the difficulties and complexities of specializing, especially considering the state of dental schools today. One of my goals is to have the option of specializing, and if that requires that I prioritize my life to orient it to that goal then so be it. I am not at all against becoming a GD, in fact that would be more than wonderful. I just like to know what my options are. Thank you everyone for your input!

John

DrRob said:
I disagree with the statement that the hardest thing about becoming a dentist is getting into dental school. Being a good dentist is hard!

But being a good dentist and becoming a good dentist are two different things.

I agree with what you said about Yah-E, though. :D

Billiken10...I wouldn't pay much attention to individuals who say your undergraduate science GPA will prevent you from attaining your goals or somehow predict your likelihood of doing well in dental school. I never studied in undergrad...basically I spent my first two years of college partying 6 nights a week. I was very close to being dismissed on grounds of academic probation. Unfortunately, I took the majority of my pre-health classes during my first two years. My science GPA was dismal. To make a long story short...I recently graduated among the top 5 of my dental school class, I scored 97 overall on Part I boards, 95 overall on part II, 100's across the board on the NERB, and I'm currently in my first year of ortho training. If you wan't something bad enough...you'll get it. Best of luck with everything.

Billiken, take what these so called experts have to say...for what it is worth, and in this case not anything. I believe undergrad grades are not completely indicative of ability (for multiple reasons). I for example had a 2.4 gpa (2.1 sci), and I have EARNED all A's in my science courses. Not because I am brilliant, but because I work my ass off. If you want to be an orthodontist you can. You just need to outwork and outperform all of your competition.

Billiken,

If it make you feel any better, I know a 2nd year ortho resident in one of the top programs in the country who had like a 1.8 something science gpa in undergrad and arguable only got into dental school on a whim (and maybe multiple years of applying). Then he finished top 10% in his DDS program, went into ortho, and th rest became irrelevant history. Obviously this is a huge exception, not a rule, but it shows undergrad is/can be no reflection of dental school.

Heck, I've even done quite a bit better in dental school. ..just takes work and effort like Frank Bama says.