Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Acceptance Defer and Re-Apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mcjay, Apr 27, 2004.

1. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hypothetically, let's say one gets accepted to a school they would not rather attend, and they choose to defer their offer for a year. But, they want to reapply again in the next cycle (2005) to see if they get into a different school. Is this a kosher operation?

Can you defer an acceptance and re-apply or are there gudlines against this?

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find it using the search function (aka: being lazy).

2. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, this HAS been talked about before.

No, you CANNOT do it.

3. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Nope, this cannot be done. If it could, that would add another degree of unfairness to the admissions process IMHO.

4. SurgeryRA

SurgeryRA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can't because the school you deferred at makes you apply early decision through AMCAS the next cycle. There is no way for you to apply to other schools while you apply early decision. So essentially there is no way to cheat the system.

5. Alexander99

Alexander99 Ghetto Fabulous
    7+ Year Member

Is that how it works? If you deferred admission, you still have to reapply? (I assume you're automatically granted an acceptance). Doesn't it suck how you have to spend more money?

6. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  7. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually, deferment is set-up so that you do not have to actually pay any fees again to "re-apply." They make you a re-apply as a record-keeping measure only. I deferred this year and the school has sent me very specific instructions on how to apply through AMCAS to avoid paying the fee and to make sure everything goes through, so yes, you are automatically granted an acceptance...you just have to jump through a couple minor hoops.

To the OP, the school I have deferred at said that my guaranteed spot in the class entering 2005 is contingent upon my NOT APPLYING anywhere else this cycle...if I do than I am free to re-apply to the school I am already accepted to and will have to go through all the interviews again. Chances are...this would not result and a re-acceptance ;)

I think conventional wisdom states that it is not a wise idea to re-apply after you have deferred. Check out the re-applicant forum for a couple of posts on this issue.

8. Benjo

Benjo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

While I trust the other posters and ther advice against this practice (why did you apply to a school you didnt want to go to in the first place, *******?), I must say that I personally know somebody who did this. There may have been special circumstances, but he successfully deferred admission for no reason other than the desire to take some time off, and then decided he wanted to go somewhere else. Unfortunately, that didn't uite work out for him, and he'll be back at the original school in the fall. This may be an aberration, but it is worth noting that it is possible at some schools. But, check and re-check and make sure it is copasetic.

9. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    mcjay,
    go if you get in, or i will walk up to your apartment and pummel your face! :scared:

10. mcjay

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Damn Wire, you try and I will smack you up and take the Pdog for a ride. If you know what I mean. :thumbup:

Thanks for y'alls input.

11. wire

wire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    oooo..them fighting words. now might be the best time to tell you that karisa kept my entire apartment complex up lastnight. :smuggrin:

12. blz

blz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a friend who applied and got in but didn't like the school he got into (NJMS). So he applied again the next year and got into PENN.

13. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    it's a lot easier to do that than it is to defer from a school that accepts you (and holds a place for you in their class) and apply to another school the following year. most people that i know that have deferred are not allowed to re-apply to another school the following year.

14. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on the school.