Acceptance Deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShakaZulu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I?m currently active duty military and I?m almost certain that I will not be able to attend dental school in 2005. Has anyone ever heard of a dental school deferring your acceptance for one year? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

one of my under grad friends had her acceptance to NYU deferred for a year. or so she told me. i am not totally sure but i have heard of other schools who do that too.

I think the best advice we can give you is to go ahead and call schools in which you would be interested in applying too and asking them. Get it straight from the horses mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you stuck in "stop loss" or is your actual DOS after fall 2005? I could understand if your stuck in "stop loss" and just don't know when you will be out but why apply if your actual DOS is after fall 2005? What are the advantages? This was actually a problem for me for undergrad. I was suppoosed to start school in like two months and I was stuck on "stop loss" and overseas. I found out I was going to be let out, got home, outprocessed and moved my family across country 2 days before school started. I had called the school when I wasn't sure if I was going to make it and they said that I would have reapply if I couldn't make it. Dental school maybe a different beast but it just seems like a real headache to go through all that work with even the possibility that you may not be able to attend.

It has nothing to do with stop loss. I've already applied to dental school but something has come up that might prevent me from attending in 2005. Therefore, I will have to submit a special request to start in 2006 if accepted. There are a lot of dental students with military relationships (Reserve, National Guard...) so I suspect this to be very common.

Well, I guess if you've already done all the work and paid the money all you can do is pray for the best! Good luck. Just think how good you will be at applying next year with all this practice. :D