Acceptance Guidelines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

necee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the AOA have guidelines for students accepting med school offers? Can you accept more than one offer (and pay the deposit fees) while interviewing at other schools? Is there an exact date according to the AOA you have to proclaim a certain school? Those letters of intent to attend a school are binding or not?

Please comment.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No notification of acceptance by a medical school is binding, unless it was an early decision program. I'm not sure if there's an exact date for AOA schools, but for LCME schools it's May 15th.

Holding more than one acceptance, I'd imagine, is fine with the AOA, but it sure is gonna cost you a bunch of money. As far as I know, AOA schools don't refund your deposit to hold a place in the class. The Director of Admissions once told me why, but I don't think that's necessarily the reason for the other 18 DO schools.

In any event, yes, you can hold more than one acceptance, but you should probably hold no more than two in the interest of giving other deserving medical students a shot.

Tim of New York City.

Tim's right,

You can hold all the spots you want. Just try to pick your favorite and go, LOTS of people are planning their future's around their acceptance.

Good Luck!

Bryan