Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for applicants without interviews:
I was fortunate to recently be accepted into a non-match residency. I am grateful to have a position in my dream specialty in a great program. However, the program I was accepted into costs about $250,000 and requires that I withdraw from the match. Up until now, this wasn’t a major concern since the other interview invites I had were for programs with similar costs and in similar locations.
This past week, I was invited to interview at my top choice program, which is a match program. It would essentially be tuition-free, within driving distance of my home, and close to family. The challenge is that in order to interview, I would have to decline the non-match position I already hold at a program I genuinely like and that has strong clinical training. It is a really good program, the only negative is the cost and farther from family (have to fly home).
So, I’m looking for advice: would you accept the secured spot, be grateful to have a position, and move forward with your dream specialty? Or would you take the risk of giving it up in hopes of matching into a free program closer to home and family?
Thank you in advance for your advise!
I was fortunate to recently be accepted into a non-match residency. I am grateful to have a position in my dream specialty in a great program. However, the program I was accepted into costs about $250,000 and requires that I withdraw from the match. Up until now, this wasn’t a major concern since the other interview invites I had were for programs with similar costs and in similar locations.
This past week, I was invited to interview at my top choice program, which is a match program. It would essentially be tuition-free, within driving distance of my home, and close to family. The challenge is that in order to interview, I would have to decline the non-match position I already hold at a program I genuinely like and that has strong clinical training. It is a really good program, the only negative is the cost and farther from family (have to fly home).
So, I’m looking for advice: would you accept the secured spot, be grateful to have a position, and move forward with your dream specialty? Or would you take the risk of giving it up in hopes of matching into a free program closer to home and family?
Thank you in advance for your advise!
Last edited: