Acceptance on Hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeGuy92

Undergrad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

So I have a question and may not be able to accurately ask it. If I got accepted by optometry school "A " but wanted to wait until I heard back from other schools, how long do I have until that accepted seat at "A" gets revoked? Could I hypothetically wait for weeks/months until making my decision? Sorry if the question is too vague and thanks for the advice everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Could you call the admissions office and ask if acceptance will be revoked if you don't commit within a certain amount of time? I think that's your best bet.

Call and ask, you might be granted an extension or have to pay the deposit to hold a seat until further notice. Better to have a back up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually they require you to put down a deposit within 15 days after they send you the offer of admission

Oh I see, does anybody know the approximate range of how much the deposit would be?

They can range from $500-1500. I saw you were interested in SCCO, AZCOPT, and Western.
Just fyi, SCCO's is $1500, AZCOPT is $1000, and Western is $500 (I was accepted to all 3. Those were the deposit fees for this year). Also, some deposits are partially refundable, some are not-it depends on the school. When you start receiving interview invites, it's generally a good idea to try and schedule them close together so you can try and avoid paying deposits at multiple places while you're waiting to hear back from another school.

Reactions: 1 user
They can range from $500-1500. I saw you were interested in SCCO, AZCOPT, and Western.
Just fyi, SCCO's is $1500, AZCOPT is $1000, and Western is $500 (I was accepted to all 3. Those were the deposit fees for this year). Also, some deposits are partially refundable, some are not-it depends on the school. When you start receiving interview invites, it's generally a good idea to try and schedule them close together so you can try and avoid paying deposits at multiple places while you're waiting to hear back from another school.

Thanks a lot for the info, it's very helpful. If I paid the deposit, how long would the schools hold the seat?

Thanks a lot for the info, it's very helpful. If I paid the deposit, how long would the schools hold the seat?

Generally that deposit holds your seat until tuition for the school year is due. For most schools, your deposit is applied toward your upcoming tuition fees.

Last edited:
Generally that deposit holds your seat until tuition for the school year is due. For most schools, your deposit is applied toward your upcoming tuition fees.
Thanks for the info optohopeful2!

Thanks I'm reading this thread a bit late but I made a terrible mistake picking interview times , and all the schools I currently have interviews at do not offer me interview dates close to each other. They're all about a month apart which really sucks and isn't the best situation. Is it possible to accept multiple schools, say put down 2-3 deposits? If this is possible, is it looked down upon? Can this action cause a school anger and make them revoke my acceptance ? Also, is there anyway for them to know where else I have put down deposits ?

Thanks for your help

Thanks I'm reading this thread a bit late but I made a terrible mistake picking interview times , and all the schools I currently have interviews at do not offer me interview dates close to each other. They're all about a month apart which really sucks and isn't the best situation. Is it possible to accept multiple schools, say put down 2-3 deposits? If this is possible, is it looked down upon? Can this action cause a school anger and make them revoke my acceptance ? Also, is there anyway for them to know where else I have put down deposits ?

Thanks for your help

No, putting a deposit down at multiple schools is not looked down upon. It's completely understandable that you are trying to ensure you have a seat somewhere. Just because you put down a deposit at one school will not cause another school to revoke your acceptance. I do believe there is a function within OptomCAS for schools to view of you are holding seats at multiple schools. Once you have decided where you want to go, it is courteous to let your backup schools know asap so they may open your seat to other applicants.

Do be aware though that many schools will not return your entire deposit. Therefore making deposits at multiple schools can hurt your wallet. For example, SCCO only returns $750 of your original $1500 deposit. My friend is a 1st year at Berkeley and she had her SCCO interview beforehand so she had to make the $1500 deposit to secure her seat at SCCO. After she got accepted to Berkeley, she withdrew from her seat at SCCO and received her $750 back.

So overall, while it is wise to schedule your interviews together to save money when it comes to deposits, it's better to put down a deposit to secure a spot instead of being cheap and ending up without a seat.

No, putting a deposit down at multiple schools is not looked down upon. It's completely understandable that you are trying to ensure you have a seat somewhere. Just because you put down a deposit at one school will not cause another school to revoke your acceptance. I do believe there is a function within OptomCAS for schools to view of you are holding seats at multiple schools. Once you have decided where you want to go, it is courteous to let your backup schools know asap so they may open your seat to other applicants.

Do be aware though that many schools will not return your entire deposit. Therefore making deposits at multiple schools can hurt your wallet. For example, SCCO only returns $750 of your original $1500 deposit. My friend is a 1st year at Berkeley and she had her SCCO interview beforehand so she had to make the $1500 deposit to secure her seat at SCCO. After she got accepted to Berkeley, she withdrew from her seat at SCCO and received her $750 back.

So overall, while it is wise to schedule your interviews together to save money when it comes to deposits, it's better to put down a deposit to secure a spot instead of being cheap and ending up without a seat.

That's good that another school wouldn't revoke your acceptance for accepting another school but would schools be less likely to offer you an interview if you had already accepted another school?

That's good that another school wouldn't revoke your acceptance for accepting another school but would schools be less likely to offer you an interview if you had already accepted another school?
As far as I know, now schools can see which schools you have been accepted to, because they have shared acceptance report. Also, call optomcas to find more info.

As far as I know, now schools can see which schools you have been accepted to, because they have shared acceptance report. Also, call optomcas to find more info.

Yeah I know they can all see what schools you have been accepted to and but I don't know if other schools will be less inclined to invite you for an interview once you've accepted another school...

Thanks! Can they also see where you put deposits?

Yeah I know they can all see what schools you have been accepted to and but I don't know if other schools will be less inclined to invite you for an interview once you've accepted another school...
I don't think they will be less inclined to offer an interview (may or may not play a role). When someone is accepting multiple schools, that person is holding spots from other students. However, if someone is qualified then that should be receiving an interview, because school do want business from more students. At the end of the we're still taking about education for students and money for schools.
Also, I know that school expects students to decline other acceptances once they put down deposit for other schools. To be on the safe side, call the school and see what they have to say about this kind of situation!
One of my friend was accepted to Temple medical school, but was wait listed for SUNY downstate. So, he put down the deposit at Temple just to be on the safe side. Eventually he got into SUNY but lost the deposit which is still better because tuition is much cheaper at the SUNY downstate medical school. I guess it's one thing if you hold only one position vs many!

Thanks! Can they also see where you put deposits?
I am really not sure about that. I'd assume they would be able to see it if they can see the acceptance report. We will never know, OptomCas is constantly changing so are their rules! I'd its okay to hold only one positing to be on the safe side instead of multiples.

I don't think they will be less inclined to offer an interview (may or may not play a role). When someone is accepting multiple schools, that person is holding spots from other students. However, if someone is qualified then that should be receiving an interview, because school do want business from more students. At the end of the we're still taking about education for students and money for schools.
Also, I know that school expects students to decline other acceptances once they put down deposit for other schools. To be on the safe side, call the school and see what they have to say about this kind of situation!
One of my friend was accepted to Temple medical school, but was wait listed for SUNY downstate. So, he put down the deposit at Temple just to be on the safe side. Eventually he got into SUNY but lost the deposit which is still better because tuition is much cheaper at the SUNY downstate medical school. I guess it's one thing if you hold only one position vs many!

Thank you! You were very helpful !!

I am really not sure about that. I'd assume they would be able to see it if they can see the acceptance report. We will never know, OptomCas is constantly changing so are their rules! I'd its okay to hold only one positing to be on the safe side instead of multiples.

Thank you !! I hope they don't see haha

Hi
I recently got accepted at an out of state school and have an interview scheduled for SCCO on Nov 1st. The outof state school wants me to let them know by Nov 3rd on my decision to go there or not. Should I just pay the $500 to secure the seat and then if I get in to SCCO, just let it be? Do schools generally give an extension? Also, does it look bad if I pay my deposit as late as possible say like nov 3rd?

Hi
I recently got accepted at an out of state school and have an interview scheduled for SCCO on Nov 1st. The outof state school wants me to let them know by Nov 3rd on my decision to go there or not. Should I just pay the $500 to secure the seat and then if I get in to SCCO, just let it be? Do schools generally give an extension? Also, does it look bad if I pay my deposit as late as possible say like nov 3rd?
Hey, congrats! I believe I know what school you're talking about (I saw your comment on my other thread). With that school, I actually had an interview for another school about 2 weeks after, so I didn't reply to them at all. But they were really nice about it and contacted me just to see my status and how I felt about everything. I felt really confident with my second school interview so I didn't pay the deposit, but if you're not sure, I would put down the deposit. I know some schools allow an extension if you ask and I don't think it looks bad if you wait until the last day to pay- schools know you're applying elsewhere and that you're a competitive candidate. They should understand. Hope this helps!

Hey, congrats! I believe I know what school you're talking about (I saw your comment on my other thread). With that school, I actually had an interview for another school about 2 weeks after, so I didn't reply to them at all. But they were really nice about it and contacted me just to see my status and how I felt about everything. I felt really confident with my second school interview so I didn't pay the deposit, but if you're not sure, I would put down the deposit. I know some schools allow an extension if you ask and I don't think it looks bad if you wait until the last day to pay- schools know you're applying elsewhere and that you're a competitive candidate. They should understand. Hope this helps!
Yeah you're right, I think I will just contact them for an extension and see what they say. Thank you so much for your help!!