Acceptance timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oralcare123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon after the interview should one expect an acceptance/rejection notification?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on school but you can't get accepted until Dec. 1st

Members don't see this ad :)
This only means what I wrote

Reactions: 1 user
The interviewer told me, that I will get an answer in a week. It's been almost two weeks. I am well aware that that university is taking their time and is never in a hurry, but like a lot of people I am becoming paranoid with checking my emails

The interviewer told me, that I will get an answer in a week. It's been almost two weeks. I am well aware that that university is taking their time and is never in a hurry, but like a lot of people I am becoming paranoid with checking my emails

I get it....all of us all checking email multiple times a day...i started fantasy football to keep my mind elsewhere lol. Officially is Dec. 1 like they all said...but I've heard multiple schools sending "unofficial" acceptance much earlier...sometimes even the day of the interview.

Best of luck...I'm sure you'll be fine. RELAX because everything's out of your hands now! :thumbup:

I get it....all of us all checking email multiple times a day...i started fantasy football to keep my mind elsewhere lol. Officially is Dec. 1 like they all said...but I've heard multiple schools sending "unofficial" acceptance much earlier...sometimes even the day of the interview.

Best of luck...I'm sure you'll be fine. RELAX because everything's out of your hands now! :thumbup:
They can accept you on the same day you interview? Damn that's gotta be a great feeling if you got that.

what form do these "unofficial acceptance" go into? i never heard of this one before.

what form do these "unofficial acceptance" go into? i never heard of this one before.

Same here. Conditional acceptances/7 year programs aside (which is completely separate from the traditional application cycle), I've never once heard of anyone getting an acceptance in advance of the early December date. There's an agreement in place among all the dental schools to specifically not release acceptance decisions until this date.

Offering acceptances the day of the interview is complete nonsense, these things are almost always decided after collaboration among the committee about all applicants, which is not a same day process.

Same here. Conditional acceptances/7 year programs aside (which is completely separate from the traditional application cycle), I've never once heard of anyone getting an acceptance in advance of the early December date. There's an agreement in place among all the dental schools to specifically not release acceptance decisions until this date.

Offering acceptances the day of the interview is complete nonsense, these things are almost always decided after collaboration among the committee about all applicants, which is not a same day process.

someone specifically told me that since the price of the dental school is so different and the facility is also different, dec 1st is set so all the schools have the competing opportunities for applicants. He/she told me it hurts other school if admission decisions are released way too early.

acceptance on the day of interview is not nonheard off, it is assumed that some schools already know to accept the candidate before hand and unless the candidate curse in interview room, he/she is in. So it makes sense for this and i know a few people who got acceptance on the day of interview (from pharmacy programs)

I was fine to a certain point, when I could no longer by calm hearing: " Did you get your answer, did you hear from the school?". It is the same, when before the interview I was constantly asked, if I was nervous. I was not, but eventually I became

someone specifically told me that since the price of the dental school is so different and the facility is also different, dec 1st is set so all the schools have the competing opportunities for applicants. He/she told me it hurts other school if admission decisions are released way too early.

acceptance on the day of interview is not nonheard off, it is assumed that some schools already know to accept the candidate before hand and unless the candidate curse in interview room, he/she is in. So it makes sense for this and i know a few people who got acceptance on the day of interview (from pharmacy programs)

Day of interview acceptances happen all the time, yes...just not for dental school. No school is interested in violating the agreement they all hold just to let a candidate know they're in a bit earlier.

I was fine to a certain point, when I could no longer by calm hearing: " Did you get your answer, did you hear from the school?". It is the same, when before the interview I was constantly asked, if I was nervous. I was not, but eventually I became

how many interviews u get? based on that you should be confident of yourself. Anyways, 2 more months and 2 weeks to know the first wave of acceptances

Day of interview acceptances happen all the time, yes...just not for dental school. No school is interested in violating the agreement they all hold just to let a candidate know they're in a bit earlier.

well really? i heard it happens for dental school in Feb or March but not before Dec. You are right. It is a truce set by all schools or by the ADEA.

Sorry, maybe I should clarify...I have 2 friends from two different dental schools who were indirectly and verbally told they were accepted...something along the lines of "We'll see you next June..." and sure enough the email came that December for both. The more I research schools, committee's, etc. the more you you're able to remind yourself that they're humans and occasionally the "guidelines" are bent.

I'm pretty sure I've even seen somewhere among these forums about schools sending snail mail about acceptances and it arriving a day or two before the formal Dec. 1

Sorry, maybe I should clarify...I have 2 friends from two different dental schools who were indirectly and verbally told they were accepted...something along the lines of "We'll see you next June..." and sure enough the email came that December for both. The more I research schools, committee's, etc. the more you you're able to remind yourself that they're humans and occasionally the "guidelines" are bent.

I'm pretty sure I've even seen somewhere among these forums about schools sending snail mail about acceptances and it arriving a day or two before the formal Dec. 1

its not unheard of some applicants get rejected/waitlisted after hearing this same line.

I was at MWU-AZ first interview ever just last week. The dean specifically said "you guys are the elite of elite, I hope you guys choose our school", the associate dean say "you all will be accepted given you attend the first interview" and multiple professors in there say "see you next year, come and stay"

Does this mean unofficial acceptance? absolutely not ~.~

Reactions: 1 users
its not unheard of some applicants get rejected/waitlisted after hearing this same line.

I was at MWU-AZ first interview ever just last week. The dean specifically said "you guys are the elite of elite, I hope you guys choose our school", the associate dean say "you all will be accepted given you attend the first interview" and multiple professors in there say "see you next year, come and stay"

Does this mean unofficial acceptance? absolutely not ~.~

True...in the situations I was referring to, those were one on one interviews. Either way, to aid to the side of caution in my case, I'm not believing a thing until Dec. 1.

You have been a dentist for several years and you don't know how to consider people's feelings?

You are confusing "people" who walk into a dental office with faceless/voiceless/anonymous "people" who post on a predental forum.

Last edited:
You are confusing "people" who walk into a dental office with faceless/voiceless/anonymous "people" who post on a predental forum.

I generally like your comments, but I'm in complete disagreement with this one.
This almost seems like an example of "people" that feel free to put others down without shame just because of anonymity and protection behind the internet. (just look at comments on youtube....)

There is a real person behind every single comment posted anywhere on the internet with a face and a voice, even though you don't see them and probably never will.

Of course, it's obvious that you'd have more consideration for your own patients. But I personally find it a better comparison to think of people on the internet like... walk-ins to the office or a new patient on the phone.
I don't know them at all but that doesn't mean it's okay to treat them any differently than a patient I've known for a while. On SDN, it just rubs me the wrong way to see any form of sarcastic jabs against others here who are all interested in the field of dentistry. I'd only attack someone here if they'd bring down the integrity and respect that the dental community deserves.

Reactions: 2 users