Acceptance to a DO school but considering gap year for MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hihihihihsdifs

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I currently have an acceptance to a reputable DO school, however I am considering taking a gap year to make myself more competitive for MD schools. The only thing holding me back from doing so is the fact that I took my MCAT four times. My current stats are a 3.74 GPA and a 510 on the mcat, I also graduated in three years. I am worried that the number of times I took my MCAT will limit my chances of getting into a MD school. I do not want to take more than a gap year. So my question is, will MD admission committees disregard my application due the amount of times I took my MCAT? Or should I just take my current acceptance and go with that.

My MCAT scores were : 502 -> 505 -> 498 (idek) -> 510

Thanks in advance for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why did you apply there if you weren’t dead set on attending?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to MD schools already?

around 64% of students with your GPA and MCAT range matriculated into MD schools last year.

Since you were in a dual admission program, did you have to submit your application through AACOMAS? If not, I guess in your particular situation it is feasible to take a gap year and reapply MD AND DO for backup. That is, if you like to gamble with a 64% chance for MD. I do think the multiple attempts will kill your app though. Why would a school take you over someone else with the same MCAT score who took it once, or even twice?

My advice is take the acceptance and run with it.

Reactions: 2 users
I think accepting the DO offer would be the best thing for you. I don't know what kind of doctor you want to be, but I would ask them what their match list is like so you can get an idea for your chances of getting into that particular specialty. Would be more difficult to enter into an MD-preferred specialty such as dermatology, surgical sub-specialties. Know that DO graduates tend to go into primary care fields. There are many programs including some IM academic/university residencies that take DO students provided you show strong academic record (honoring clinical rotations, acing the boards like Step 1, 2 CK, research and publications). Generally cardiology and gastroenterology are considered the most difficult as they are the most competitive and they require IM residency first, so getting into a top or reputable residency program would be your goal if you are interested in IM sub-specialties.

If you were to take a gap year, what else would you do to enhance your application? The four MCAT attempts already do not look too good because in med school you will be taking a lot of exams so you want to do well and pass (the boards) on the first try.

Reactions: 4 users
I think accepting the DO offer would be the best thing for you. I don't know what kind of doctor you want to be, but I would ask them what their match list is like so you can get an idea for your chances of getting into that particular specialty. Would be more difficult to enter into an MD-preferred specialty such as dermatology, surgical sub-specialties. Know that DO graduates tend to go into primary care fields. There are many programs including some IM academic/university residencies that take DO students provided you show strong academic record (honoring clinical rotations, acing the boards like Step 1, 2 CK, research and publications). Generally cardiology and gastroenterology are considered the most difficult as they are the most competitive and they require IM residency first, so getting into a top or reputable residency program would be your goal if you are interested in IM sub-specialties.

If you were to take a gap year, what else would you do to enhance your application? The four MCAT attempts already do not look too good because in med school you will be taking a lot of exams so you want to do well and pass (the boards) on the first try.

Yea as of now I am interested in general surgery, the school I am accepted into right now has had about 6-8 students matching into this field. If I took a gap year I would probably work as an paramedic and continue doing research as well. I just don't know if this would enough to merit a MD acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea as of now I am interested in general surgery, the school I am accepted into right now has had about 6-8 students matching into this field. If I took a gap year I would probably work as an paramedic and continue doing research as well. I just don't know if this would enough to merit a MD acceptance.

I think it's definitely possible to match into general surgery as a DO as it's not unheard of. You may face an uphill battle just because of your DO status but I am sure if you work really hard and are passionate about surgery then you should be fine. Chances for MD acceptance after one year of working as a paramedic or doing research might not help much as MD schools are usually about the grades (your GPA appears to be fine already).

If you do enroll in a DO school, be sure to join a surgery interest group early, find mentors who can help you, but most importantly do well on your exams so that you can prove others that you have what it takes to be a great surgeon.

Hmm... is this your first cycle? Did you apply DO only? If yes, why not MD too?

Anecdotally, I've read cases where people turn down the DO and applied MD and got in. But that is a roll of a dice when you have a guaranteed acceptance. How risky do you feel? If I was in your shoes, I'd take the acceptance because there is no guarantee you'll get in to MD.

If you only want to take one gap year, it may not be worth it. With applications for MD schools going out in June/July, it won't include your future activities for the gap year. Common knowledge would suggest that you would need 2 gaps years, one to build your resume and then another to apply.

Hey everyone!

I currently have an acceptance to a reputable DO school, however I am considering taking a gap year to make myself more competitive for MD schools. The only thing holding me back from doing so is the fact that I took my MCAT four times. My current stats are a 3.74 GPA and a 510 on the mcat, I also graduated in three years. I am worried that the number of times I took my MCAT will limit my chances of getting into a MD school. I do not want to take more than a gap year. So my question is, will MD admission committees disregard my application due the amount of times I took my MCAT? Or should I just take my current acceptance and go with that.

Take the DO acceptance and don’t look back. The number of MCAT attempts is a red flag. The number of MCAT scores below a 505 is a huge blinking red light. At best the repeated low scores make your 510 look like an outlier and at worst like you have poor judgement for sitting for the exams 3x when you weren’t ready. To be blunt, as of now you are not a competitive applicant and a single gap year, with also being a reapplicant, will not make you a stronger applicant: full stop.

Be grateful that you were accepted (something many folks don’t ever get) and move forward with becoming a doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Take the DO acceptance and run! Considering you took the MCAT four times and still landed an acceptance

Reactions: 7 users
That would NOT lead to an MD accept. Most schools will average your MCAT scores.

You already have several red flags with the multiple exams, so take the bird in the hand. And yes, you CAN be a surgeon as a DO.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC recommends schools averaging MCAT scores together. I wouldn't like my chances with a 4-time try 503.75 including a sub-500 attempt.

An acceptance in hand is worth ten in the bush. Unless you don't want to be a DO. Then only apply MD. DOs can still get into competitive residencies. But you're gonna have to, no offense, step it up.

With that many MCAT takes you need to take the DO and run with it.

Reactions: 10 users
You are delusional if you think you will get in MD with 4 MCATs. The highest isn't even that high. Take the acceptance with a smile and you shall be a doctor. Turn it down and you probably won't.

Reactions: 7 users
Your Mcat avg is 501 which is like 55% tile. Not going to get any love from schools who average scores. If you cant deal with the DO behind your name, it's ok. Apply to MD schools again at your own risk, I'd have a very strong plan B in place, i.e., another career option. I think you are getting nervous about the match. If you have spent any time on SDN, you understand the challenges DO residency applicants might encounter. Having said that, with all the doom and gloom out there, it appears to be a solid match year for DO applicants who worked their butts off and played the match game well. I also would encourage you to accept your spot at the DO school.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone!

Please apply MD next year... You deserve better

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
You deserve better

There is absolutely nothing in OP's history that says this, and trust me, I am usually first in line to tell MD caliber applicants to go for the MD over the DO acceptance. OP is not an MD caliber applicant.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey everyone!

Your average MCAT is a 503.75...

If you reject your DO offer, then you will likely never become a physician.

Taking 1-2 more gap years is throwing away ~$500,000 in earning potential and delaying your life even further.

You were very fortunate to get the DO offer. Take it. If you don’t, you will regret it forever.

Only way you are probably getting a MD acceptance is if you get into one of those select few guaranteed post bacc programs, which are gambles in and of themselves. Just take the DO acceptance man, your mcat scores are pretty subpar for an MD candidate. The D.O. match rate this year was like 90 something % which is fantastic.

Alright, thank you everybody for the advice! I will most likely stay at my current school.

That would NOT lead to an MD accept. Most schools will average your MCAT scores.

You already have several red flags with the multiple exams, so take the bird in the hand. And yes, you CAN be a surgeon as a DO.
You can even be a Surgeon General!

yea waitlisted at 1, rejected by 1

I'm in a similar situation. Waitlisted at 1 MD school and got some DO acceptances. General surgery, emergency medicine, psychiatry, and anesthesiology are definitely doable for DO. I think its too risky dropping an acceptance and reapplying next cycle. A friend of mine dropped a DO acceptance a couple of years ago. they've reapplied to only MD this cycle and didn't get an interview. They probably won't become a doctor now. The risk is too great. Good luck on your waitlist but regardless you will become a doctor.

I know trauma surgeons that are DOs. Going to a DO school is not going to ban you from matching into competitive specialties. It will be harder, yes, but possible. You know what will ban you from matching into any residency program? Turning down your acceptance and then not getting accepted to any school, MD or DO, ever again. It's your move and your life, but the risk:reward ratio is not in your favor.

Dumb, dumb idea.

If you didn't want to go to a DO school, why the hell did you apply?

Yeah, people have gambled like this and won but if you are going to do this you are really going double or nothing. Would you be willing to risk a sizable chance of never becoming a doctor? You need to really improve your application for this to make even a lick of sense: 518+ MCAT, hundreds if not thousands of hours of clinical and nonclinical volunteering, and decent research. I'd say you are about three years out from giving this a second try as an MD applicant, if not more. You need to be a strong MD applicant, closing in on Harvard material, for this to make sense.

OP, it seems like you are going to take the DO acceptance which is the best idea. Just check out the match list thread in the DO medical student forum. DO students had an incredible match this year (in my eyes).

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that you should take the DO but people are blowing it out of proportion. You could very easily reapply to other DO schools later but you would have just wasted time.

Unless you feel very confident you can score significantly higher on a 5th MCAT (on the order of 520 / 98th %tile +), I would go with your current school. Good luck!

I agree that you should take the DO but people are blowing it out of proportion. You could very easily reapply to other DO schools later but you would have just wasted time.

Some schools on secondaries ask if you’ve ever been accepted to a medical school. Actually most of the DO ones I applied to did.

It is common knowledge to medical schools - both MD and DO - if you have ever been offered an acceptance to a medical school on that specific application.

Schools do not take kindly to rejecting an offer in hopes of reapplying. Unless you are a superstar applicant who would likely be reaccepted despite this - OP is nowhere close - then this is very, very stupid endeavor.

The bottom line is don’t apply to schools that you would not attend.

• Love
Why did you apply there if you weren’t dead set on attending?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Playing devil's advocate here... Given the recent Step 1 change, it could definitely change what people think of osteopathic medicine programs.

Playing devil's advocate here... Given the recent Step 1 change, it could definitely change what people think of osteopathic medicine programs.

To be honest, I don’t see it changing very much. Everyone is just going to use another arbitrary bs metric anyways.

80% of programs have already come out and said they will use Step 2 instead.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey OP, I have some thoughts, as I was in a similar situation last year.
Last year (cycle), I applied MD and DO. I got one acceptance at a DO school, WL at another, and no MD acceptances. However, I was not a fan of the school I was accepted to. Like, I HATED it. I went back and toured it again after my acceptance and still hated it (for no quantitative reason honestly). It just wasn't right for me. So I was in a tough situation: should I be grateful for my one acceptance and go there, even though I hated the school, or should I take the risk and reapply?
I ended up declining their offer, which I know a lot of people will say that was a bad decision. I couldn't see myself at that school for 4 years. So I reapplied this year. I ended up getting one DO and one MD acceptance, and have decided to go to the MD school.
I don't necessarily prefer MD over DO. However, I do like the MD school I was accepted to more than the DO one.
Unless you absolutely hate the school you were accepted to, I don't think it's worth the risk to reapply. There's no telling if you'll get accepted to an MD school, so you might go DO anyways, and you've also effectively ruined your chances at a school that you were accepted to. I didn't bother reapplying to the school that I declined, mostly cuz I knew I didn't want to go there, but also because I don't think they would have given me a chance since I already declined their previous offer of admission.
If possible, maybe you could defer your acceptance a year? Idk if you'd be able to apply next cycle if you do that though. Why bother applying to DO schools if you didn't want to go?

Over all, I wouldn't take the risk simply because you want to go MD. If you like the school you were accepted to, take that opportunity.

*to clarify, I legit thought I would drop out if I went to this school - that's how much I hated it. IMO, I wouldn't be a dr either way; either accept and drop out or gamble and risk applying again. I'd agree with everyone else though - it's never the recommended move. If you have an acceptance, take it!

Last edited:
You were lucky: you gambled your medical career and won. Good luck. Not a recommended move unless you are willing to take a substantial risk of never becoming a doctor, or you’re closing in on being a Harvard-level applicant. If you had stellar ECs and a 4.0 GPA and improved from 500 to 524 on an MCAT retake, you might be able to pull it off.

My schools matches 5-10 GS all the time as DO. Granted it is not always top tier but they are usually solid programs. Take the acceptance.

Stick with it, it looks like s bigger risk to reapply and hope you get in. And it'll waste your time, since you already know what you wanna do. Also, gap is closing between MD and DO as even the residencies were put together this year. So don't waste what you have.

Hey OP, I have some thoughts, as I was in a similar situation last year.
Last year (cycle), I applied MD and DO. I got one acceptance at a DO school, WL at another, and no MD acceptances. However, I was not a fan of the school I was accepted to. Like, I HATED it. I went back and toured it again after my acceptance and still hated it (for no quantitative reason honestly). It just wasn't right for me. So I was in a tough situation: should I be grateful for my one acceptance and go there, even though I hated the school, or should I take the risk and reapply?
I ended up declining their offer, which I know a lot of people will say that was a bad decision. I couldn't see myself at that school for 4 years. So I reapplied this year. I ended up getting one DO and one MD acceptance, and have decided to go to the MD school.
I don't necessarily prefer MD over DO. However, I do like the MD school I was accepted to more than the DO one.
Unless you absolutely hate the school you were accepted to, I don't think it's worth the risk to reapply. There's no telling if you'll get accepted to an MD school, so you might go DO anyways, and you've also effectively ruined your chances at a school that you were accepted to. I didn't bother reapplying to the school that I declined, mostly cuz I knew I didn't want to go there, but also because I don't think they would have given me a chance since I already declined their previous offer of admission.
If possible, maybe you could defer your acceptance a year? Idk if you'd be able to apply next cycle if you do that though. Why bother applying to DO schools if you didn't want to go?

Over all, I wouldn't take the risk simply because you want to go MD. If you like the school you were accepted to, take that opportunity.

*to clarify, I legit thought I would drop out if I went to this school - that's how much I hated it. IMO, I wouldn't be a dr either way; either accept and drop out or gamble and risk applying again. I'd agree with everyone else though - it's never the recommended move. If you have an acceptance, take it!
In this case, dump the accept and just explain as you did here (although a little more professionally) IF asked about other accepts.

A med school accept shouldn't be a suicide pact.