Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

acceptance to top tier schools

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by pompompurin, Dec 19, 2005.

1. pompompurin

pompompurin Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey

has anyone been accepted to or know someone who has been accepted to a top tier medical school even though they had low undergrad grades or were postbaccs for academic-enhancement reasons (basically their undergrad gpas were not high enough)?

if so, what factors do you think got you accepted? did you need an extremely good reason as to why your grades were subpar? was it a long and difficult process?

just curious...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Scottish Chap

Physician PhD Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

I was accepted to a top 30 last year with less-than-stellar numbers - substantially below the average for that school. However, I had an insanely strong background in research and several other accomplishments. Most top schools value research greatly. That was my 'in'. I ended up attending a school ranked several notches lower for a number of reasons. I am delighted with my decision and the quality of my educational experience thus far.

Generally, academic excellence is expected by all schools and the best way to prove this is via the GPA and MCAT. However, you'll find that some 'big' schools seek diversity more than certain standard state schools whose priority is generally to pump out as many primary care docs as possible - hence they are funded by the state and the tuition is much less. In the former case, you 'pay for it' with massive tuition. In the latter case, you 'pay for it' with a more rigorous pre-interview screening process, often based on numbers. Of course these are generalizations and, in this case, anecdotal, but you get the gistÂ…. In spite of what people say or what is posted on SDN, it really is hard to say for certain what will make you attractive to a particular school in a given year and thatÂ’s why I always advise people to apply widely.

I think it's a very bad idea to make too many excuses for a less-than-stellar performance early on. I don't think schools like that. This usually breeds discontentment and a lot of stress, IMHO. Instead it's better to focus on what you can do you improve your application. In the end, an M.D. is an M.D. (or a D.O. is a D.O.); all U.S. schools are LCME-accredited and your ability to get into a great residency program really rests on how well you do once you are on the other side of the admissions process, again IMHO. Hope that helps, and good luck! :thumbup: