Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jap212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any medical students out there that were accepted to an American Medical School (or Off-Shore Medical School) and had a low MCAT score? Does this exist???? OR does anyone know someone that has been accepted with a low MCAT score? Is this possible? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it depends on how low you're talking and what the other parts of the application look like.

How low you can go depends a lot on your state school and any modifying factors in your application. The lowest I know of is an MCAT of 24, and I know of two others with 25s who got accepted to allo schools (state of Illinois).

Members don't see this ad :)
Low meaning below 25, but higher than 20. I was just curious if there were any individuals accepted to an American Medical School with a low MCAT score. Do you believe that other factors play a role in the admission process? Like high GPA, ECs, Research, Clinical Work... or do you think that an applicant will be rejected solely based on his or her MCAT score?
Thank you.

The individuals I referred to above were extraordinary in every other way. All the factors you mentioned were key to their getting accepted despite their low MCAT scores. And yes, an applicant can be rejected soley because their score does not meet a school's cut offs. In such a case, the rest of the application is never looked at.

Low meaning below 25, but higher than 20. I was just curious if there were any individuals accepted to an American Medical School with a low MCAT score. Do you believe that other factors play a role in the admission process? Like high GPA, ECs, Research, Clinical Work... or do you think that an applicant will be rejected solely based on his or her MCAT score?
Thank you.

It can happen, although it's quite rare. Other factors definitely play a role in the process, but as Stratego said, the rest of the application must be phenomenal in order to compensate for the very low MCAT score. GPA must be great, ECs must be phenomenal (think setting up a free clinic for HIV positive children in Botswana or something), and there should probably be some sort of reason why the MCAT was so low.

There are also some schools who have automatic cutoffs for very low scores, although not all do.

Are there any medical students out there that were accepted to an American Medical School (or Off-Shore Medical School) and had a low MCAT score? Does this exist???? OR does anyone know someone that has been accepted with a low MCAT score? Is this possible? Thank you.

Use the search function on the website- there is a thread out there where students posted their stories about that.

A friend of mine had a 26, retook and got a 23... She got into an allopathic school that only looks at the most recent... I don't know how that happened. But yes, all other parts of her application were amazing. It definitely only happens VERY rarely.

I know of two low MCAT and arguably lower gpas. One was a 25 MCAT and 3.4 GPA, the other was a 24 MCAT and 3.5 GPA.

It is possible... but both of these students applied EDP and blew the interviewers away... :thumbup:

I know of two people that had a 22 and got into allo.

The first got in back in 2003, had a 3.9, and great ECs (non URM)

The second got in back in 2007, had a 3.7, great ECs, but was in a linkage program of some sort (URM)

It depends on lot other variables.
1. Some schools use cutoff for GPA and MCAT. No matter how best your other parts, you will be screen out.
2. Some schools evaluate case as a whole. If your MCAT is low but you have very strong rest of the thing, still you have chance. MCAT has around 30% to 40% weightage for most of the schools.
Here is the answer of Dean Michigan Medical school
http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/2005/med07132005_mich.aspx

3. It is most critical factor that where you live (Your home state). If your home state have more than one low tier public medical school who favor state students heavily, you have chance.

thank you very much to all that replied. I really appreciate it. :)