Acceptances Abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...since I am getting worried about getting in to a US school, I have recently completed an application to St George's, since their deadline is not till June. Did anyone else apply there? If so, do you think it's too late to apply? They already have my recs and transcript. Also, JLSRN, did u get in?

Muchas gracias in advance...

Quoting JLSRN:
posted October 24, 2001 07:55 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I had an interview and it went great...they interviewed me with the info from last years MCATs (which weren't stellar)...I retook in August and did about the same, and just sent them to St. George's...do I have a good chance? In the interview..they said they were interested in me for January acceptance. Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

If this means anything,

I know 3 people I went to undergrad with (class of 2000) they are currently at St. Georges and they are loving it, they claim it's just like here. One of them is a resident of St. vincent so she gets to go to school for free. But they claim it's good. It's better than Ross I heard.

Is St. George the "best" foreign medical school? I might want to apply there to just in case. And how about tuition? More expensive than BU perhaps?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, it is the best foreign med school, according to residency placements and passing the boards......i don't know how expensive it is, but i think less than BU...although plane fare is a lot

SGU is probably the best medical school in the Carribean but I think there are probably better non-U.S. medical schools in other parts of the world. There are probably also worse U.S. medical schools than SGU.

This might sound controversial, but what is your opinion over osteopathic schools? Do they have better residency placements than St. George?

Hmm.. DO vs St George? Can't say you can compare the two, but if you really want to I'd say DO is "better". BUT, St George is the best Carib school. And by the way, Foxy, jlsrn DID get into St George.

Ah, interesting...so what U.S. medical schools have a worse history of board scores and residency placement than SGU? I've always been told by my advisors than ANY U.S. (allopathic?) medical school is better than ANY international school. Granted, they're biased...but let's see if the stats speak for themselves.

I just decided that I'm not going to apply to St geaorge's this year. I hope to get in to a US school soon, but if I don't I'll just retake the mcat in august and reapply next year or something.....I want to have every opportunity available when I get out of med school, and I don't need a foreign degree holding me back...i'd much rather reapply...if i dont get in next year, however, that's another story.....

those of you considering a foreign medical school, look into: Royal College of the Surgeons, University college Dublin, Trinity (all in Ireland). These are all excellent schools.