Acceptances Abroad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Doctora Foxy, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    Hi...since I am getting worried about getting in to a US school, I have recently completed an application to St George's, since their deadline is not till June. Did anyone else apply there? If so, do you think it's too late to apply? They already have my recs and transcript. Also, JLSRN, did u get in?

Muchas gracias in advance...

Quoting JLSRN:
    posted October 24, 2001 07:55 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, I had an interview and it went great...they interviewed me with the info from last years MCATs (which weren't stellar)...I retook in August and did about the same, and just sent them to St. George's...do I have a good chance? In the interview..they said they were interested in me for January acceptance. Thanks for any info.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    If this means anything,

I know 3 people I went to undergrad with (class of 2000) they are currently at St. Georges and they are loving it, they claim it's just like here. One of them is a resident of St. vincent so she gets to go to school for free. But they claim it's good. It's better than Ross I heard.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member

Is St. George the "best" foreign medical school? I might want to apply there to just in case. And how about tuition? More expensive than BU perhaps?

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    As far as I know, it is the best foreign med school, according to residency placements and passing the boards......i don't know how expensive it is, but i think less than BU...although plane fare is a lot

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SGU is probably the best medical school in the Carribean but I think there are probably better non-U.S. medical schools in other parts of the world. There are probably also worse U.S. medical schools than SGU.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Senior Member

This might sound controversial, but what is your opinion over osteopathic schools? Do they have better residency placements than St. George?

8. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

Hmm.. DO vs St George? Can't say you can compare the two, but if you really want to I'd say DO is "better". BUT, St George is the best Carib school. And by the way, Foxy, jlsrn DID get into St George.

9. none

none 1K Member

Ah, interesting...so what U.S. medical schools have a worse history of board scores and residency placement than SGU? I've always been told by my advisors than ANY U.S. (allopathic?) medical school is better than ANY international school. Granted, they're biased...but let's see if the stats speak for themselves.

10. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    I just decided that I'm not going to apply to St geaorge's this year. I hope to get in to a US school soon, but if I don't I'll just retake the mcat in august and reapply next year or something.....I want to have every opportunity available when I get out of med school, and I don't need a foreign degree holding me back...i'd much rather reapply...if i dont get in next year, however, that's another story.....

11. philly

philly Junior Member

those of you considering a foreign medical school, look into: Royal College of the Surgeons, University college Dublin, Trinity (all in Ireland). These are all excellent schools.