Volunteering abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noworwhen

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are under no obligation to include this in your application if you think that it might be held against you. You may choose to list it in addition to your work in the US. In all likelihood, in my opinion, it is likely to neither hurt nor help to included it or to leave it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, I don't think this is likely to help or hurt you.

I would not consider this voluntourism - it is a country/culture you are familiar with and part of, it is longer than spring break, and you are doing things you would be permitted to do in the US with the same level of training. I don't think this would be viewed unfavorably.

However, unless this is in the context of a long history of service and advocacy related to this community and other underserved communities in your own back yard, I don't think it is likely to help you either. I don't think most folks place much value on non-US clinical experience unless it is part of a larger picture of a commitment to global health work including multiple other experiences.

You are under no obligation to include this in your application if you think that it might be held against you. You may choose to list it in addition to your work in the US. In all likelihood, in my opinion, it is likely to neither hurt nor help to included it or to leave it out.

Awesome. Thank you!

I agree, I don't think this is likely to help or hurt you.

I would not consider this voluntourism - it is a country/culture you are familiar with and part of, it is longer than spring break, and you are doing things you would be permitted to do in the US with the same level of training. I don't think this would be viewed unfavorably.

However, unless this is in the context of a long history of service and advocacy related to this community and other underserved communities in your own back yard, I don't think it is likely to help you either. I don't think most folks place much value on non-US clinical experience unless it is part of a larger picture of a commitment to global health work including multiple other experiences.
I do have other activities involved over quite a long period of time! I have also been volunteering back and forth since high school but just wasn't able to do it recently due to the pandemic. But in any case, thank you for the advice!

What you describe is not "voluntourism." However it is also of very limited value of your ultimate goal is to practice in the United States.

A lot of South Asians spend time at their heritage country, and their families find them opportunities to shadow there. Most drop a mention in their essays thinking it gives them something to stand out on. I anticipate this is where you see value.

It depends who reads your essays whether this is a great experience or not. Some will not look at it with high regard but others will care (irrelevant to US, could have done the same in the US).

I gave you the article because you need to know why we should know about your activity. Why is it important for your growth as a professional? The "volun-tour" answer is different than the global health answer and how the latter is supported. It's not clear that global health is your purpose to be a physician from what you have described.

What you describe is not "voluntourism." However it is also of very limited value of your ultimate goal is to practice in the United States.

A lot of South Asians spend time at their heritage country, and their families find them opportunities to shadow there. Most drop a mention in their essays thinking it gives them something to stand out on. I anticipate this is where you see value.

It depends who reads your essays whether this is a great experience or not. Some will not look at it with high regard but others will care (irrelevant to US, could have done the same in the US).

I gave you the article because you need to know why we should know about your activity. Why is it important for your growth as a professional? The "volun-tour" answer is different than the global health answer and how the latter is supported. It's not clear that global health is your purpose to be a physician from what you have described.
Oh, sorry for the late reply Mr. Smile! I missed your reply and thought it was an automated message (my first time being in sdn :( )
Thank you for your reply. I guess my answer is a mix. I am not 100% sure if I want to go into global health. That being said, I had some very personal experiences in that country that shaped why I wanted to go into medicine in the first place. I also like being in the country and volunteering (which I have done throughout my life). However, given the time constraint, I need to be doing something I can add to the application. I was trying to see if going this upcoming winter is fine or whether I should delay it until I finish my med school application journey. Thank you so much for your input!

Oh, sorry for the late reply Mr. Smile! I missed your reply and thought it was an automated message (my first time being in sdn :( )
Thank you for your reply. I guess my answer is a mix. I am not 100% sure if I want to go into global health. That being said, I had some very personal experiences in that country that shaped why I wanted to go into medicine in the first place. I also like being in the country and volunteering (which I have done throughout my life). However, given the time constraint, I need to be doing something I can add to the application. I was trying to see if going this upcoming winter is fine or whether I should delay it until I finish my med school application journey. Thank you so much for your input!
We know nothing about the rst of your application. One experience is not enough to get you into a medical school if you don't have the bases covered. I get you have choices but we don't know your priorities or motivation other than you want to be busy while you are visiting family for a month or two.

If you have done this throughout your life, what is the value of adding more exposure over your clinical research position? I am not saying you shouldn't do it, but you need to keep everything in perspective.

Understand that your trips back to your heritage country may be curtailed once you start medical school. It can be done, but it won't be the same. It's not to say you can never go back, but just consider carefully how important that connection is for you when figuring out what you really want to do.

Last edited:
  • Love
We know nothing about the rst of your application. One experience is not enough to get you into a medical school if you don't have the bases covered. I get you have choices but we don't know your priorities or motivation other than you want to be busy while you are visiting family for a month or two.

If you have done this throughout your life, what is the value of adding more exposure over your clinical research position? I am not saying you shouldn't do it, but you need to keep everything in perspective.

Understand that your trips back to your heritage country may be curtailed once you start medical school. It can be done, but it won't be the same. It's not to say you can never go back, but just consider carefully how important that connection is for you when figuring out what you really want to do.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I also think my explanation was a little lacking. I am not too comfortable sharing my personal stories on an open forum, so I just went as vague and general as possible (which is not the best when I am asking for advice). But I definitely see your point in keeping everything in perspective!

I appreciate your (and every other's) advice on this matter! Thank you again.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I also think my explanation was a little lacking. I am not too comfortable sharing my personal stories on an open forum, so I just went as vague and general as possible (which is not the best when I am asking for advice). But I definitely see your point in keeping everything in perspective!

I appreciate your (and every other's) advice on this matter! Thank you again.
There is also a confidential forum frequented by the adcoms and attendings who also hang around here. You can post there and get a response and if the question and response are eventually shared, your handle (screen name) will not be included.

There is also a confidential forum frequented by the adcoms and attendings who also hang around here. You can post there and get a response and if the question and response are eventually shared, your handle (screen name) will not be included.
I never knew that was a thing. I found the confidential forum! Thank you for this information!