Acceptances after May 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadow

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand, May 15 is the magic day upon which everyone holding more than one acceptance has to give up all but one. But what happens if you get accepted after May 15? Is there a certain number of weeks that you are allowed to hold more than one acceptance if you were notified after May 15?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

its up to the school that sent you the acceptance (well thats what i think; i dont really know). at yale i believe you have 3 days to decide. hahaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
May 15 is the day that applicants are expected to give up all but one acceptance, but they are not necessarily required to. Schools are allowed to penalize students holding multiple acceptances as of May 15, meaning that they can withdraw their offer, but many instead simply penalize financially (i.e. you forfeit your deposit if you withdraw after that date), so theoretically you can hold multiple acceptances after that date if specific school policies do not prohibit it. This means that after May 15 all bets are off and acceptance policies (response time allowed, rules on holding multiple offers, etc.) are decided by the schools themselves, so you should check directly with the schools you're interested in. You can follow this link to see the official AAMC acceptance procedures:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm

After May 15th you are supposed to drop your previous acceptance if you get a new one that you are more interested in. So, at that point you should have "ranked" your schools and decided, "If I get accepted to X than I will drop Y" and otherwise, it'd be curtious to withdraw from waitlists that you know you are not higher on your list than your current acceptance.

i dont understand. i just called a school and they said we wouldnt like you to keep more than one acceptance after may 15. but it didnt seem like there was any penalty??

Originally posted by docmemi
i dont understand. i just called a school and they said we wouldnt like you to keep more than one acceptance after may 15. but it didnt seem like there was any penalty??

there will be tho. schools are pretty serious about trying to play them after the 15th.