Accepted, but have doubts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goatsie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Lets get to it: I am one month away from starting pharmacy school and I am having doubts about whether pharmacy is what I really want to do.

No need to tell me "should have thought about this"; because I did and I thought it was the right move, but in the time span of 4 months I have come to weigh more heavily the cost and benefits. The tradeoffs don't seem so great anymore.

Before I got into alternatives, I just want to ask: if you have had doubts and decided to proceed with pharmacy school, how has that worked out? If not, please elaborate, too. What are your thoughts? Is the time, effort and debt a good investment to the satisfaction of the occupation? I know everyone (and that occupation as a pharmacist can vary vastly as well, but, perhaps if I illuminate some of my interests that may identify with you, it may give you more insight into the type of career you and I may be looking for....

Look, I just want some opinions on why you did or didn't choose pharmacy!

So, here's where I'm coming from: I recently gave up my job as a research assistant; I worked at a major health research institution and really enjoyed doing research. The problem was that I wasn't getting paid enough (what researcher is?!) and I would like to have more control, stability (funding), and directionality in future investigations. Not only that, but the job tended to exploit my work ethic (I'm a hard worker, and in my position, as an assistant, there is not much reason to work more than the standard 40 a week) and I didn't like the fact that I didn't feel rewarded often enough. I enjoyed the work environment I was in: intense research but relaxing as far as time management and work-like things (boss doesn't breath down my neck, I pretty much have freedom into planning how I want to do a particular experiment, I get to present my data and receive feedback, etc.) I like all these things, but I also wanted more. I wanted my work to be more practical. I want to be rewarded quickly and frequently and I wanted to be due to my efforts. I know this sounds very selfish, but who isn't? I guess I'm just a person who needs to see my results for my efforts.

Though I would like to fulfill all these things in a job, do you have any opinions and suggestions as to what might fulfill a lot of these? Obviously I'm looking for suggestions in different sectors of pharmacy (because I'm already in).

If you are anything other than a community pharmacist (i.e. working at a pharmacy) please let me know, so that I can think about that area of pharmacy, too? It would be greatly appreciated. How many people are involved with industry and in what capacity? Who is involved or on an academic track and what are your plans? If you are doing research, what kind of research are you doing? Is there such a thing as pharmacist consultant jobs?

Thanks in advance for any constructive feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a P2 and in the first year of pharm school I've learned about so many opportunities pharmacists have which I had no idea before. I was leaning towards pharmacy bc I want to be in healthcare and pharmacists seem to have a good amount of patient contact. If you don't want to do that, pharmacists working in the industry (for drug companies or insurance) don't have personal contact with people. There are such thing as consultants, you would have to have experience in pharmacy before you can be a consultant though. You can participate in residencies after graduation and become a clinical pharmacist in which you check pt charts and change treatment plans. As far as satisfaction, that will depend on the company you work for, but there is the option of becoming an owner which can give you much gratitude. You should follow pharmacynerd.wordpress.com it will give you an idea of what a pharmacy student does currently

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been feeling a bit nervous lately about my upcoming application to pharmacy school.

After seeing that someone named "Goatsie" has been accepted to pharmacy school, I now have had a boost of confidence.

Thanks Goatsie...

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm a P2 and in the first year of pharm school I've learned about so many opportunities pharmacists have which I had no idea before. I was leaning towards pharmacy bc I want to be in healthcare and pharmacists seem to have a good amount of patient contact. If you don't want to do that, pharmacists working in the industry (for drug companies or insurance) don't have personal contact with people. There are such thing as consultants, you would have to have experience in pharmacy before you can be a consultant though. You can participate in residencies after graduation and become a clinical pharmacist in which you check pt charts and change treatment plans. As far as satisfaction, that will depend on the company you work for, but there is the option of becoming an owner which can give you much gratitude. You should follow pharmacynerd.wordpress.com it will give you an idea of what a pharmacy student does currently

These opportunities represent less than 5% of the options out there. You ate the bs your pharm school fed you. The competition is very high for these unicorn jobs. Best of luck.

These opportunities represent less than 5% of the options out there. You ate the bs your pharm school fed you. The competition is very high for these unicorn jobs. Best of luck.

But I want to spend two years in a residency so that I can do med rec. C'mon!

I would think with your research background that would help if you are interested in working research as a pharmacist. My boyfriend's sister works for Baxter and they employ pharmacists on the research end of things to bridge the gap between research and clinical/retail setting. She's a PhD chemist so if you have cold feet about pharmacy and love research have you considered that route? Or toxicology?

If you are anything other than a community pharmacist (i.e. working at a pharmacy) please let me know, so that I can think about that area of pharmacy, too? It would be greatly appreciated.

Bro, community definitely isn't the only thing out there. I mean, hospital is another one and, at the pharmacy I volunteered at, you can either do rounds or stay in the inpatient pharmacy and review the doctor's orders. Then you can also work the apothecary (community) that's right outside.

And I'm currently really looking at and interested in nuclear pharm.

GTFO, job market is horrible, check how many job advertisement for retails only (CVS, WAG, RAD posted: it used to be the entire ****ing page is filled with job posting from retails), that should be enough to tell you something. Switch to DDS or MD: more pay, more prestige, more option.

Hi everyone,

Lets get to it: I am one month away from starting pharmacy school and I am having doubts about whether pharmacy is what I really want to do.

No need to tell me "should have thought about this"; because I did and I thought it was the right move, but in the time span of 4 months I have come to weigh more heavily the cost and benefits. The tradeoffs don't seem so great anymore.

Before I got into alternatives, I just want to ask: if you have had doubts and decided to proceed with pharmacy school, how has that worked out? If not, please elaborate, too. What are your thoughts? Is the time, effort and debt a good investment to the satisfaction of the occupation? I know everyone (and that occupation as a pharmacist can vary vastly as well, but, perhaps if I illuminate some of my interests that may identify with you, it may give you more insight into the type of career you and I may be looking for....

Look, I just want some opinions on why you did or didn't choose pharmacy!

So, here's where I'm coming from: I recently gave up my job as a research assistant; I worked at a major health research institution and really enjoyed doing research. The problem was that I wasn't getting paid enough (what researcher is?!) and I would like to have more control, stability (funding), and directionality in future investigations. Not only that, but the job tended to exploit my work ethic (I'm a hard worker, and in my position, as an assistant, there is not much reason to work more than the standard 40 a week) and I didn't like the fact that I didn't feel rewarded often enough. I enjoyed the work environment I was in: intense research but relaxing as far as time management and work-like things (boss doesn't breath down my neck, I pretty much have freedom into planning how I want to do a particular experiment, I get to present my data and receive feedback, etc.) I like all these things, but I also wanted more. I wanted my work to be more practical. I want to be rewarded quickly and frequently and I wanted to be due to my efforts. I know this sounds very selfish, but who isn't? I guess I'm just a person who needs to see my results for my efforts.

Though I would like to fulfill all these things in a job, do you have any opinions and suggestions as to what might fulfill a lot of these? Obviously I'm looking for suggestions in different sectors of pharmacy (because I'm already in).

If you are anything other than a community pharmacist (i.e. working at a pharmacy) please let me know, so that I can think about that area of pharmacy, too? It would be greatly appreciated. How many people are involved with industry and in what capacity? Who is involved or on an academic track and what are your plans? If you are doing research, what kind of research are you doing? Is there such a thing as pharmacist consultant jobs?

Thanks in advance for any constructive feedback.

If you want to partake in research still, You can Partake in a career in pharmacy Industry... Plenty of research opportunities.

strong username to professional goals ratio, OP.

sorry didn't mean to bump such an old thread.

GTFO, job market is horrible, check how many job advertisement for retails only (CVS, WAG, RAD posted: it used to be the entire ****ing page is filled with job posting from retails), that should be enough to tell you something. Switch to DDS or MD: more pay, more prestige, more option.

True, lol. Looking right now at my expensive diploma and the job postings in my area. No positions available.