Accepted but Missing Pre Req

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I was on a waitlist and I didn't think I was gonna get accepted. I had planned on taking a pre req this summer but the classes got filled. Well now I got a call saying I have been accepted and guess what? I don't have Ochem II and lab on my transcript because I still need to take it. Any idea what I should do? I am contacting the school to see if they can work with me on this. Do they let people start in january at some schools by any chance? Help me :(

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, there is no US allopathic medical school that lets students start their first year in January.

Because all other applicants are required to complete the standard prereqs, which includes Ochem II w/lab, you may have to defer the acceptance. It's a bit hard to believe that the school would let you matriculate without a year of orgo (assuming you didn't take Biochem either), but who knows.

Some schools do let you substitute Biochem for Organic Chemistry II, so just a heads up.

Find someplace else to take it. Anywhere. Don't lose this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Community college is your friend

They may be willing to let it slide. I mean, they let you in without it anyway, so give them a call and ask them what to do.

And let us know how it works out. I'm sure this could benefit someone doing a search someday.

Hello all,

So I was on a waitlist and I didn't think I was gonna get accepted. I had planned on taking a pre req this summer but the classes got filled. Well now I got a call saying I have been accepted and guess what? I don't have Ochem II and lab on my transcript because I still need to take it. Any idea what I should do? I am contacting the school to see if they can work with me on this. Do they let people start in january at some schools by any chance? Help me :(

Calling them is the thing to do. Rarely, exceptions are made about taking pre-reqs, but they aren't unheard of.

If it comes down to having to take it and the local classes haven't begun, you may be able to beg your way in. If you can't get in there, do like aaj said and find a class someplace, anyplace, even if it means you have to live out of a motel room for a month.

The last option would be to request a deferral. Those requests aren't always granted, but there's a chance that it would be.

There are summer classes all over the country that haven't started yet. Find one and take it, even if you have to move to a different state for a month or two. It's worth it.

Beg, borrow, steal a spot.

You better take the course this summer anywhere in the U.S. Otherwise, you will lose your spot!! Check sfsu.edu in SF, CA, its orgo II and lab does not start until July. So, that's a chance right there. Even if the class fills up already, you can talk to the professor and come on first day of class. Most people get in and professor usually understands they you need it for med school this august. and oh, it's cheap, too. it's a state school, you only pay $200 something extra/credit as an OOS. Berkeley extension also has summer courses. Go register, quick.

I'm pretty sure that wtih enough money, that "full" class will become empty. And given the circumstances and if no other spots open (even though someone JUST linked you an online course....), I would definitely try that or anything to get in. It's not over yet, so don't give up.

Hi guys thanks for your advice. I called them and they let me defer till next year off of the waitlist! How awesome is that? I can defer till 2009. This works out great because this gives me a chance to save some money with my job for med school and take the class too :) This is awesome!

Hi guys thanks for your advice. I called them and they let me defer till next year off of the waitlist! How awesome is that? I can defer till 2009. This works out great because this gives me a chance to save some money with my job for med school and take the class too :) This is awesome!

That's cool, but you really could get it done in the summer at a CC. I took O Chem 2 and lab last summer in July. It was over by early August. It's doable.

If you want to take a year off, that's great, but you do have the option to start this fall if you want it.

Also note that most if not all schools will not let you defer if you are accepted off the waitlist. Tell them about your situation and let them know you will have it completed by matriculation. Go to some state or community college anywhere (even if you have to move for a few months) and get this done! It could be a fun experience since you will only need to do mediocre in the classes.

edit: I just read your post. Congrats!