Accepted into both Ferris and Midwestern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon32

Reaction score
So I need to decide which school to accept within the next few days and was wondering if i could get any advice on which school to choose. Here's my pros and cons to each school, any advice or personal experiences will be helpful.
Ferris pros
  • 10 thousand a year cheaper
  • Established school with a high board pass rate
  • Small class size
  • Top optometry school
Ferris cons
  • Location of the school
  • Biochemistry pre-requisite needed
  • Little diversity in class
Midwestern pros
  • Able to take train home instead of driving
  • Diverse class in a better area
  • Newer equipment
  • Enjoyed the tour more
  • Friend will be in my class
Midwestern cons
  • More expensive
  • Quarter system
  • Unknown board pass rate
  • Newer school

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, both schools will give you a good education. I know CCO is new but Midwestern has a good reputation (and AZCOP is under the same school too). I think it's going to come down to how you feel about each school and if you can fit in--the area, friends, and of course the faculty/students. I think CCO requires biochemistry though so I would look into that.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above statement. Midwestern Glendale (AZCOPT) has had a good track record on board scores. However, because Midwestern Chicago is new, there is no track record of preparing its students for success on boards. You are taking a risk by going there as a new student. Ferris State has smaller class sizes and has a track record of excellent preparation for boards. If I were you, I would choose Ferris.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My vote is Ferris for two reasons..
1. more established schools likely means better professors (often more experienced)
2. 10K a year = 40K over 4 years.. with interest it turns into 45K. If your optometry earnings are 120K annually, after taxes that's 90K.. 45K is a lot! --> that's a good half year of income!

Reactions: 1 users
So I need to decide which school to accept within the next few days and was wondering if i could get any advice on which school to choose. Here's my pros and cons to each school, any advice or personal experiences will be helpful.
Ferris pros
  • 10 thousand a year cheaper
  • Established school with a high board pass rate
  • Small class size
  • Top optometry school
Ferris cons
  • Location of the school
  • Biochemistry pre-requisite needed
  • Little diversity in class
Midwestern pros
  • Able to take train home instead of driving
  • Diverse class in a better area