You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ACCEPTED medical students DO/MD. How many prereqs you took at CC
Started by SN1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There was no option to vote "none" for the poll so I didn't vote... 😕
👍
i don't think to many people took the pre-reqs at a CC. personally all the CC's around here are crap and most people who transfer into the uni with a decent GPA end up dropping out or just making it by.
LOL I hope that doesn't happen to me. I have straight A's at cc so far.
LOL I hope that doesn't happen to me. I have straight A's at cc so far.
It will not happen to you because you are a committed student with a good work ethic. My Friend that is the key to academic success "Work ethic".
There was no option to vote "none" for the poll so I didn't vote... 😕
Seriously why wasn't none an option?
i don't think to many people took the pre-reqs at a CC. personally all the CC's around here are crap and most people who transfer into the uni with a decent GPA end up dropping out or just making it by.
If that were the case your CC's would be revised or lose vital transfer agreements. No university will want to accept transfers from a college when their students cannot function at that level.
Inb4 "this is why statistics will be on the new Mcat."
Seriously why wasn't none an option?
He likely forgot... or is by not having people answer none creating a comfortable cushion for his ego.
My first thought was "oh boy, this is my fault" when seeing this thread but I'm actually glad to see some results. So far it's leaning towards "none" or "very little" but that doesn't exactly validate what I had said in the other thread. I was just going on what I had heard from others

He likely forgot... or is by not having people answer none creating a comfortable cushion for his ego.![]()
You are very SMART.
I don't want any answer from people who took NONE of their prereqs at CC.
I voted for for "all". I took all of them except orgo at a CC
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are very SMART.
I don't want any answer from people who took NONE of their prereqs at CC.
I think knowing how many people didn't take their prereqs would help when considering those who did; that is if you want a more accurate representation of those on this website.
They typically don't have a choice. It's usually four year state universities/colleges taking transfer students from (mostly) state funded community colleges. Upon having set the transfer criteria, the state schools are obligated to take students who complete the required programs to qualify to transfer. But the four year schools are not obligated to graduate them if they can't handle the more demanding work. As you say, many do struggle.No university will want to accept transfers from a college when their students cannot function at that level.
I took all of my prereqs at a CC before transferring to a university. The only prereq I took at university level was organic chemistry.
I really think it doesn't matter, as long as you rock your upper division classes (especially science-related classes) at a university.
I really think it doesn't matter, as long as you rock your upper division classes (especially science-related classes) at a university.
I took all of my prereqs at a CC before transferring to a university. The only prereq I took at university level was organic chemistry.
I really think it doesn't matter, as long as you rock your upper division classes (especially science-related classes) at a university.
+1👍
Ok. It seems like the general consensus is that it is ok to take prereqs at CC as long as you do well in your upper division classes. I know this has been asked many times but I wanted an accurate representation therefore I decided to conduct this poll.
Thanks.
Thanks.
They typically don't have a choice. It's usually four year state universities/colleges taking transfer students from (mostly) state funded community colleges. Upon having set the transfer criteria, the state schools are obligated to take students who complete the required programs to qualify to transfer. But the four year schools are not obligated to graduate them if they can't handle the more demanding work. As you say, many do struggle.
4 year colleges/universities have transfer agreements based on previous performance of students at their college based on their corresponding CC's. Many of these colleges with transfer agreements are not just the state colleges, but many private schools like JHU & Georgetown, both of which have transfer agreements with the CC near my home and agree to transfer all their credits because they deem them equivalent and have seen their students manage the rigors. If the CC was doing as mentioned above the 4 year universities would be flaming their asses and they would be required to revamp their curriculum. But maybe that's just my conceded view of CC as the ones in my state are nationally rated to be the highest in the country and basically try to be harder than 4 year colleges.
Last edited:
I think knowing how many people didn't take their prereqs would help when considering those who did; that is if you want a more accurate representation of those on this website.
Without a doubt. Since he didn't include a none choice, he effectively made the data worthless as there could be an extreme high ratio of CC'ers with no pre-reqs to CC'ers with some pre-reqs. Thus implying that it could be statistically better not to take pre-reqs at CC's.
Without a doubt. Since he didn't include a none choice, he effectively made the data worthless as there could be an extreme high ratio of CC'ers with no pre-reqs to CC'ers with some pre-reqs. Thus implying that it could be statistically better not to take pre-reqs at CC's.
And then concluded a consensus with 2-3 people's opinion. 😀
Wasn't there an ADcom here? Perhaps you could PM them.
All of them -- every last bit of science pre-req I took at CC. My LOR came from there too.
did you get accepted somewhere?
did you get accepted somewhere?
The thread title said "ACCEPTED medical student"
zero. had to do the prereqs anyway as part of my major.
All of them -- every last bit of science pre-req I took at CC. My LOR came from there too.
2 of my 6 LORs were from community college instructors (not PhDs).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The thread title said "ACCEPTED medical student"
he/she might have missed the ACCEPTED students part
You are very SMART.
I don't want any answer from people who took NONE of their prereqs at CC.
Then you should have asked "Accepted people who have taken prereqs at a CC..." instead.
Last edited:
he/she might have missed the ACCEPTED students part
yes -- I was accepted
Just curious, what was the average gpa of those who took all their pre reqs at a community college?
I took ALL my prereqs at community college.
If you plan to take prerequisite at a CC, I would strongly suggest you get bachelors in a major that requires you to take upper level science courses. Mine was biochemistry. I think it would hurt your chances if you do not take any science courses at a university. It would also be bad if your sGPA drops significantly in a university. Mine actually went higher and people say universities are harder.
If you plan to take prerequisite at a CC, I would strongly suggest you get bachelors in a major that requires you to take upper level science courses. Mine was biochemistry. I think it would hurt your chances if you do not take any science courses at a university. It would also be bad if your sGPA drops significantly in a university. Mine actually went higher and people say universities are harder.

Last edited:
I took ALL my prereqs at community college.
If you plan to take prerequisite at a CC, I would strongly suggest you get bachelors in a major that requires you to take upper level science courses. Mine was biochemistry. I think it would hurt your chances if you do not take any science courses at a university. It would also be bad if your sGPA drops significantly in a university. Mine actually went higher and people say universities are harder.![]()
I agree. I am planning on majoring in biological sciences which will require me to take classes such as biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, physiology, anatomy, etc.
Isn't it tough if you already have a 4.0 in CC?
I am positive that my GPA will drop at the 4 year university. sighh.. I should have achieved a 3.2-3.3 at the CC...
Mine actually went higher and people say universities are harder.![]()
Just because you did better at the university doesn't make CC harder
.
4
45408
This was a stupid poll then.You are very SMART.
I don't want any answer from people who took NONE of their prereqs at CC.
4
45408
The stats are useless.I'm liking the stats. I have taken most of my premed at CC but then went on to doing a BS in Biochem at a 4 year.
gen chem I
gen chem II
this poll is weird (read: pretty useless).
> 1
half
all
??
what if only 1, or none, or all but 1?
OP you crazy.
gen chem II
this poll is weird (read: pretty useless).
> 1
half
all
??
what if only 1, or none, or all but 1?
OP you crazy.
gen chem I
gen chem II
this poll is weird (read: pretty useless).
> 1
half
all
??
what if only 1, or none, or all but 1?
OP you crazy.
Does it make any difference if it is ALL but one? Seriously man. You are just trying to be an ass hole. I am truly sick and tired of people like you on this website. I seriously should NOT have posted ANY thread or ask any question. There will always be 99% possibility that I will encounter piece of **** like you. I don't give a **** if i get banned. You think you are cool that you can be an ******* in front of your computer? I applaud you for that.
If it is none of the above then just reply to the thread and say how many you took. It is as simple as that.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just because you did better at the university doesn't make CC harder.
I don't understand why you are not on the side of people who took their prereqs at CC. You took some prereqs at CC so you shouldn't be supporting those who took theirs at 4 year universities. Do you know how many of those love to insult us who took our prereqs at CC? Man I don't know what to say.
Does it make any difference if it is ALL but one? Seriously man. You are just trying to be an ass hole. I am truly sick and tired of people like you on this website. I seriously should NOT have posted ANY thread or ask any question. There will always be 99% possibility that I will encounter piece of **** like you. I don't give a **** if i get banned. You think you are cool that you can be an ******* in front of your computer? I applaud you for that.
If it is none of the above then just reply to the thread and say how many you took. It is as simple as that.
whoa, whoa, spaz. cool it. i still played along w/ your poll. look, it's almost summer time, how about taking a walk and chilling out, man.
whoa, whoa, spaz. cool it. i still played along w/ your poll. look, it's almost summer time, how about taking a walk and chilling out, man.
Played along with my poll? I was being serious you dick. Not everyone is an ******* like you.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 663
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 354