Accepted nontrads; did you freak tf out about going to med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nobaddays

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering for those that left traditional, full time jobs to go back to school (MD, DO, etc.) .. did you have like a mini panic attack as it got closer and closer to matriculating?

I feel like as a traditional student its just another step in the process, but as a nontrad it's kind of a huge leap of faith. The closer I get, the more the reality of taking on $200k+ in debt seems to hit me. I'm still really excited about it, but as I get closer to applying it seems like less of a pipe dream, and it's definitely a daunting prospect.

Did/does anybody else feel like this? Did an acceptance relieve or amplify these feelings?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
$200k seems like a big number, but it's really not. Many people spend multiple times that on houses and take 30 years to pay it back. When you look at the cost of medical school next to your future expected salary, it's honestly not so bad. The first few years should be a little lean due to making payments on those loans, but after that it's not so bad. Once you're paid off, it's all gravy and you have plenty of disposable income for having a little more fun.

On the flip side, the stress you're feeling now is a good thing. The first year of medical school is a big adjustment. If you don't have that optimal level of stress to push you, you might not perform as well as you'd like. But at some point during your first year, probably in the 2nd semester, you'll adapt to the load and the stress and it won't feel nearly as hard.

Reactions: 1 users
$200k seems like a big number, but it's really not. Many people spend multiple times that on houses and take 30 years to pay it back. When you look at the cost of medical school next to your future expected salary, it's honestly not so bad. The first few years should be a little lean due to making payments on those loans, but after that it's not so bad. Once you're paid off, it's all gravy and you have plenty of disposable income for having a little more fun.

On the flip side, the stress you're feeling now is a good thing. The first year of medical school is a big adjustment. If you don't have that optimal level of stress to push you, you might not perform as well as you'd like. But at some point during your first year, probably in the 2nd semester, you'll adapt to the load and the stress and it won't feel nearly as hard.

Yeah, I mean 200k is a big number, but it's all risk-reward/return-on-investment... I'm not feeling deterred or less interested, but when I first made this plan, I definitely didn't fully grasp the gravity of the lifestyle change or financial undertaking. Just wondering if others (particularly nontrads) felt this gradual buildup of pressure as they approached their first round of applications.

I just remember like when I first started taking prereqs being like "Ok well I think I really want to do this, and I can take these classes, and if I don't like them or don't do well, maybe it's just not for me." And now, the closer I get, and the more I accomplish, the more "real" it all starts to seem. Not a bad thing, just that kind of nervous excitement I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted very late in the cycle. My wife was pregnant and we were driving between 2 properties deciding on a house when I got the call. We moved within 2 weeks, which was crazy, and my youngest was born a couple months later. There was so much transition that I didn't have time to freak out about the change, but the lack of money (and health insurance) was pretty hard to miss. 6+ years later I regret nothing. This was the right choice and the loans really are small compared to lifetime income potential.

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted very late in the cycle. My wife was pregnant and we were driving between 2 properties deciding on a house when I got the call. We moved within 2 weeks, which was crazy, and my youngest was born a couple months later. There was so much transition that I didn't have time to freak out about the change, but the lack of money (and health insurance) was pretty hard to miss. 6+ years later I regret nothing. This was the right choice and the loans really are small compared to lifetime income potential.

Haha awesome. Glad to hear it all worked out and you’re happy with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I´m in the same position. I´m a non trad and just got accepted. My wife and I will be leaving good jobs(not saying we´re wealthy or anything!) and a city that we have really enjoyed for me to attend medical school in another state. On top of that, we are planning on starting a family within the next year or two. So yeah, I´m with you, part of me is a little scared of the change and the debt, but the bigger part of me is pumped to get started. This has been my dream for years and I think I would regret it if I settled and stayed where I am which is a place in my life where I am comfortable, but no where near satisfied. But anyways, trust me, you are not alone! Good luck to you!!

I´m in the same position. I´m a non trad and just got accepted. My wife and I will be leaving good jobs(not saying we´re wealthy or anything!) and a city that we have really enjoyed for me to attend medical school in another state. On top of that, we are planning on starting a family within the next year or two. So yeah, I´m with you, part of me is a little scared of the change and the debt, but the bigger part of me is pumped to get started. This has been my dream for years and I think I would regret it if I settled and stayed where I am which is a place in my life where I am comfortable, but no where near satisfied. But anyways, trust me, you are not alone! Good luck to you!!

Nice! Congratulations! Sounds like a really similar situation to my own. I live with a significant other and it’s been great, but we’ve talked in depth and are both still totally on board with med school. Both of us giving up good, full-time jobs if we relocated We would like to get married before med school which will likely mean first kid during late school/early residency. I’m definitely excited but glad to hear I’m not an anomaly in feeling the weight of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was almost in this situation but it all worked out and didnt have to move. With that being said, had we moved, Im not sure it would have actually worked out long term knowing what I know now after having started. Its a commitment and consider if moving from a place you enjoy is worth it. Don't underestimate the contribution to your mental health that living in a good environment makes.

I was almost in this situation but it all worked out and didnt have to move. With that being said, had we moved, Im not sure it would have actually worked out long term knowing what I know now after having started. Its a commitment and consider if moving from a place you enjoy is worth it. Don't underestimate the contribution to your mental health that living in a good environment makes.
I think that´s a valid concern, but it really depends on the person IMO. Personally, I´ve lived in quite a few different places. Even the city we are living in now, we have only been here a few years. At first, it was a little bit of a rough adjustment because I am not from a big city, but now I love it. For me, if it is between not moving and not going to medical school or moving and going to medical school, I would heavily regret it later on if I didn´t move. Living in a place for a few years that I may or may not be in love with is worth it, for me at least. I think it´s part of what you sign up for because you can´t always count on medical school and residency being in the same area.

But again, that is just my personal opinion. But that is what makes SDN great! We all have different experiences to share from different points of view. I think there is no problem at all going to school in a place you love if it works out like that.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the geographical situation. I've lived in the same general area my whole life. Went to school locally. It'd be nice to stay but a change of scenery would be awesome too.

I may not be understanding you or perhaps I'm just dense. Could you clarify why you feel nervous about getting closer to medical school?

I may not be understanding you or perhaps I'm just dense. Could you clarify why you feel nervous about getting closer to medical school?
It's not even really a problem I guess... just coming to terms with the reality of borrowing a few hundred grand and quitting what many consider to be a "good job" to go back to being a student for 4 years and then basically working for minimum wage for a few more years.
I guess I'm just wondering if other nontrads ever second guessed their choice or had reservations. Emphasis on nontrads, just because I feel like people going straight from undergrad to med school may not have had to struggle with the idea of leaving a secure, pretty well-paying job.

Yeah, that totally clarified it for me, thank you. I know exactly what you're talking about now.

Basically, you're leaving your comfort zone. You could have a mediocre job with a decent salary and live out the rest of your days in mediumville with your wife and 2.4 kids and live a perfectly medium life. On the other hand, going to med school is a huge investment in both real cash and lost income, all while you push yourself to your mental and sometimes physical limits. It's the difference between a small but immediate payoff (safer) vs. a long term investment and payoff later (risky).

But money isn't the only factor. Would you be satisfied doing what you do for the rest of your life, or would you always feel unfulfilled? I had a decent job with a lot of perks and it was SO. BORING. I was so far below my potential that I wasn't motivated to do anything. If I had to live that life, I'd have most likely become a professional criminal just to keep myself occupied.

The only thing I can tell you is that it all depends. Do you love learning and at least the idea of helping people, even when it takes away from your life? Are you risk averse? Could you live with getting so close to your dream, only give it up for fear? I certainly couldn't do it, nor did I ever think about it. As Timothy Oliphant so eloquently said: "Is the juice worth the squeeze?"

Yeah, that totally clarified it for me, thank you. I know exactly what you're talking about now.

Basically, you're leaving your comfort zone. You could have a mediocre job with a decent salary and live out the rest of your days in mediumville with your wife and 2.4 kids and live a perfectly medium life. On the other hand, going to med school is a huge investment in both real cash and lost income, all while you push yourself to your mental and sometimes physical limits. It's the difference between a small but immediate payoff (safer) vs. a long term investment and payoff later (risky).

But money isn't the only factor. Would you be satisfied doing what you do for the rest of your life, or would you always feel unfulfilled? I had a decent job with a lot of perks and it was SO. BORING. I was so far below my potential that I wasn't motivated to do anything. If I had to live that life, I'd have most likely become a professional criminal just to keep myself occupied.

The only thing I can tell you is that it all depends. Do you love learning and at least the idea of helping people, even when it takes away from your life? Are you risk averse? Could you live with getting so close to your dream, only give it up for fear? I certainly couldn't do it, nor did I ever think about it. As Timothy Oliphant so eloquently said: "Is the juice worth the squeeze?"

Yes! That’s exactly what I mean! Haha.. I’m in the same boat right now. Completely unfulfilled/unsatisfied/bored with my job.. I do nothing that could ever possibly evoke any semblance of emotion. Everyone I work with who’s done it for years just works to see their 2-day weekend and hopefully pay off their house before their forced into retirement. Just not where I want to be in 35, 45 years.. Definitely leaving my comfort zone, but I’m also really excited about it. And I’m definitely not turning back now.

Better to be at the bottom of a ladder you want to climb than half way up one you don’t!

Thanks for the feedback!

Although it does depend on your lifestyle factors (marital status, kids, tax bracket) there is also the component of how long you have been at your other profession. We do tend to identify ourselves with our profession, as well as the other things I listed, but you lose your professional identity when you step into your 1st class of medical school. Not only is there a loss of salary, but there is that identity and the anxiety of what that causes. I was single, no kids, in that middle class tax bracket when I started, but as a long time pursuer of the dream, that was actually a part of my identity too. My family and close friends always included "who is trying to go to medical school" as my "identifier" and then BOOM, that's gone.

And what I had anxiety over as this issue, I suppose because I didn't have to worry much about wife/kids, you get this new "identity" as older medical student that hangs on you for 4 years! THEN (all things go well) you get yet another identity as "the older resident". And now I have a new "label" as "the guy who is a doctor as his second career".

Congrats. Becoming a doctor is like descending into different levels of hell, like Dante was a doctor. I take PM's so any of you who have questions about the road, you can hit me up and I'll get around to it. I do tend to gravitate towards helping others/mentoring.

- GFLIP

Reactions: 2 users