Accepted off waitlist at a school after starting classes at another school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

everythingthat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question.

So there are two schools that I applied to. School 1, I've been accepted to - School 2, I've been waitlisted to. The problem is that School 1 starts classes before School 2 even makes a decision to accept me or not. While I've got nothing against School 1, for me School 2 is the school, pretty much my dream school. Is there any possible way that I can start classes at School 1 and still remain on the waitlist/be accepted to School 2?

That's the situation I face right now, as I've started classes at School 1, but was honestly still waiting to hear from School 2. I didn't realize that it might be the case that I wouldn't be able to be accepted to School 2 if I started classes at School 1. (I know, I probably should have realized this..) If I had known that, I might have taken a different course of action.. ah well. Does anyone know for sure if this is possible in anyway? (As in, being accepted off a school's waitlist while having started classes at another school)

Members don't see this ad.

If it were possible to do this, I bet it would be really fun for the kid who either gets no spot(idk if schools would accept people off of a waitlist a week in if someone abandons a spot) or gets to start a week late at the school you are currently attending.

Members don't see this ad :)

So there are two schools that I applied to. School 1, I've been accepted to - School 2, I've been waitlisted to. The problem is that School 1 starts classes before School 2 even makes a decision to accept me or not. While I've got nothing against School 1, for me School 2 is the school, pretty much my dream school. Is there any possible way that I can start classes at School 1 and still remain on the waitlist/be accepted to School 2?

That's the situation I face right now, as I've started classes at School 1, but was honestly still waiting to hear from School 2. I didn't realize that it might be the case that I wouldn't be able to be accepted to School 2 if I started classes at School 1. (I know, I probably should have realized this..) If I had known that, I might have taken a different course of action.. ah well. Does anyone know for sure if this is possible in anyway? (As in, being accepted off a school's waitlist while having started classes at another school)

You should've communicated that in a letter to the school, in order to encourage them to make a decision on your application PRIOR to school 1 starting. That being said, see below for AAMC Traffic Rules regarding your issue.

Information from: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html

I would not think back about it--be happy that you're in school and enjoy! Good luck! It's a a tough process to simply "forget", but it's over and done with! :)

I thought there was some description of this in AAMC's traffic rules? Maybe I'm mistaken.

I wouldn't switch at this point. Pretend you never got accepted off the waitlist and continue accordingly.

There ARE AAMC traffic rules regarding this issue. I believe the rule is that School 2 CANNOT let you off the waitlist once you start orientation at any other school.

Relevant rules:

8. After June 1, May 15 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, any school that plans to make an acceptance offer to an applicant already known to have been accepted by another school or program for that entering class ensure that the other school or program is advised of this offer at the time that the offer is made. This notification should be made immediately by telephone and promptly thereafter by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods. Schools and programs should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to minimize inter-school miscommunication and misunderstanding, as well as the possibility of unintended vacant positions in a school's first-year entering class.

9. No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class.

I think that ship has sailed by this point...

I didn't realize that it might be the case that I wouldn't be able to be accepted to School 2 if I started classes at School 1. (I know, I probably should have realized this..) If I had known that, I might have taken a different course of action.. ah well.

A different course of action? You mean turning down your guaranteed acceptance at School 1 for the possible acceptance off the waitlist from School 2 (largely unlikely due to how late it is right now). Attend your classes and be glad you didn't make a stupid decision.

you're a medical student congrats!
run with it, even if you get into the other school, it's not like you're going to have different letters behind your name when you graduate

I've never heard of school 1 and school 2.

What's with the secrecy?

So, essentially the OP would like to hog two spots for his own personal gain, screwing over one other person desperately waiting to be taken off of the waitlist as well. How incredibly selfish...

Alright, thanks everyone who replied with a constructive, helpful statement! You guys are right, I'm here now and I'll make the best of it. Appreciate it!