Accepted Old Guy, needs words of encouragement

Started by farmman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

farmman

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I am 29 years old, been out of school for a while, and I am so nervous about pharmacy school. To be honest I didn't think I would be accepted on myfirst year attempting to get in. It's been about 4 years since I was in college and I really don't remember alot. My question is do you feel that you would have been succesful in pharmacy school with little knowledge of organic chemistry, and physics, etc. I have heard that there is so much material to memorize, I can handle that, it's just organic I was not a fan at all. Any guidance on your experience would be great
 
Well, I am 29 years old, been out of school for a while, and I am so nervous about pharmacy school. To be honest I didn't think I would be accepted on myfirst year attempting to get in. It's been about 4 years since I was in college and I really don't remember alot. My question is do you feel that you would have been succesful in pharmacy school with little knowledge of organic chemistry, and physics, etc. I have heard that there is so much material to memorize, I can handle that, it's just organic I was not a fan at all. Any guidance on your experience would be great


Dude.. pharmacy school aint nothing. You'll get through it just fine...
 
Well, I am 29 years old, been out of school for a while, and I am so nervous about pharmacy school. To be honest I didn't think I would be accepted on myfirst year attempting to get in. It's been about 4 years since I was in college and I really don't remember alot. My question is do you feel that you would have been succesful in pharmacy school with little knowledge of organic chemistry, and physics, etc. I have heard that there is so much material to memorize, I can handle that, it's just organic I was not a fan at all. Any guidance on your experience would be great

I was a "non-traditional" student in pharmacy school and had been out much longer than you have... Don't worry about organic and physics! Time management is the key to pharmacy school. If you were accepted, chances are you have what it takes to be successful. If it makes you feel any better I struggled in organic and physics but graduated near the top of my class from pharmacy school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
29? you're not old, older than the bulk of your student colleagues, but not old. I think the average age of pharm school students is around 24-25.

I think the only main subject you'll want to brush up on is basic chemistry/basic organic chemistry. Keyword is basic. Anatomy, depending on the school, is also an assumed topic. Again, just general knowledge, not the name of every little bump and fissure on the body.
 
Congrats on being accepted. I'm always happy to hear about "mature" students being accepted, being one myself.

I was definitely worried about organic chem, as is has been about 4 years for me. As others have said, the organic chem involved in first year (can't speak for upper years) is quite basic. I had to do some brushing up, but was able to get to the level needed for pharmacy quite quickly (hybridization, functional groups). We haven't done any crazy reactions just yet.

Good luck!
 
Well, I am 29 years old, been out of school for a while, and I am so nervous about pharmacy school. To be honest I didn't think I would be accepted on myfirst year attempting to get in. It's been about 4 years since I was in college and I really don't remember alot. My question is do you feel that you would have been succesful in pharmacy school with little knowledge of organic chemistry, and physics, etc. I have heard that there is so much material to memorize, I can handle that, it's just organic I was not a fan at all. Any guidance on your experience would be great


29 is not old. I will turn 29 next month and will be entering my first year of Pharmacy School this coming Fall. I know some people in their 40s and one 50 year old man who is attending pharmacy school. Now that's old. By the time I finish pharmacy school, I will be 32-33 years old. That mean I will be have 30 more years left in me before I retire. So please don't say you're old because you're beginning to make me feel old. Organic Chemistry was my worst subject. I hated Physics but managed to do well. Like the other poster said, graduate school is all about time management and utlizing an effective and efficent learning style. It requires alot of commitment and focus.
 
We have several people in their 40's and 50's in our class (and the 3 classes before us as well). Your worrying really isn't justified. All being out of school for a while means is that you may have to spend some extra time studying. It's definitely do-able!
 
I think the older you are, the better you will do in pharmacy school. As you get older, you become wiser and your critical thinking skills improve. All of this is important in graduate school.
 
I think the older you are, the better you will do in pharmacy school. As you get older, you become wiser and your critical thinking skills improve. All of this is important in graduate school.

Not to rain on your parade, but if you've got a mortgage, husband/wife, kids, and a residence necessitating a commute (vs. moving into a little dorm/studio on campus), you're gonna face more extraneous challenges not intrinsic to the academics of school.

Keep that in mind if you're an older student... putting in extra hours at the library when you need to pick up kids and commute from campus isn't going to be a viable option.
 
I had a 58-year old woman in my pharmacy school graduating class...this was >10 years ago, mind you.

You're DEFINITELY not old.😉

You're old when:

1. You realize that you could have been the parent of ANY of your classmates.
2. Students mistake you for faculty.
3. You find out that more than one of your major professors graduated high school the same year as you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to turn 40 about a month after I start pharmacy school. I'll be 42 when I'm out. I know I'm going to do fine. I was nervous about returning to school too. (I updated my prereqs before I applied.) It turned out that I am a better student now than I was back when I was younger. I'm way more serious now because I know this is what I want. Also I study differently. I care more about actually learning the material and the grades just follow. In the past, I was more focused on what I had to do to get a certain grade. You really aren't that old and you will do just fine. If you could handle things in the past, you can handle it now.
 
I turned 30 the day after class started this year. The average age was 26. The youngest person in my class is 20. The oldest are in their 40s.

Age is a state of mind. Physically and mentally, I actually feel much stronger than I did when I was in my early 20s. There is something to be said about maturity. A lot of the youngsters in my class are still consumed with maintaining their undergraduate binge-drinking and partying habits. Many of these kids have very poor dietary habits as well--- I won't be too suprised if a bunch of them gain tons of weight over the next four years.

I am glad I don't have kids yet though, because I think that would make the whole school thing harder.

Classes in pharmacy school aren't that hard. I have not felt overwhelmed yet. Time management goes a long way.

I will make a statement for you however. Don't talk about your age anymore. Don't even let yourself think it is a limitation in some way. It really isn't. Everyone has their own unique set of circumstances they enter pharmacy school with. Some people are encumbered with financial problems, marital problems, health problems, or even dependency issues. Age is really nothing in comparison.

One thing I have noticed is that many of these youngsters have abused their bodies with drinking and poor eating habits and they actually look older than I do. Keep yourself fresh, find ways to relax, eat healthy food, exercise, and do whatever it takes to stay rejuvenated.

Stay strong mentally and you will succeed. Don't let minor distractions such as concern about your age or being out of school get in the way. I hadn't take organic chemistry in 8 years, general chemistry in 12 years, and I didn't miss a beat going into pharmacy school. You will be fine. Good luck.
 
I turned 30 the day after class started this year. The average age was 26. The youngest person in my class is 20. The oldest are in their 40s.

Age is a state of mind. Physically and mentally, I actually feel much stronger than I did when I was in my early 20s. There is something to be said about maturity. A lot of the youngsters in my class are still consumed with maintaining their undergraduate binge-drinking and partying habits. Many of these kids have very poor dietary habits as well--- I won't be too suprised if a bunch of them gain tons of weight over the next four years.

I am glad I don't have kids yet though, because I think that would make the whole school thing harder.

Classes in pharmacy school aren't that hard. I have not felt overwhelmed yet. Time management goes a long way.

I will make a statement for you however. Don't talk about your age anymore. Don't even let yourself think it is a limitation in some way. It really isn't. Everyone has their own unique set of circumstances they enter pharmacy school with. Some people are encumbered with financial problems, marital problems, health problems, or even dependency issues. Age is really nothing in comparison.

One thing I have noticed is that many of these youngsters have abused their bodies with drinking and poor eating habits and they actually look older than I do. Keep yourself fresh, find ways to relax, eat healthy food, exercise, and do whatever it takes to stay rejuvenated.

Stay strong mentally and you will succeed. Don't let minor distractions such as concern about your age or being out of school get in the way. I hadn't take organic chemistry in 8 years, general chemistry in 12 years, and I didn't miss a beat going into pharmacy school. You will be fine. Good luck.

Thanks alot, you are right, pharmacy school here I come 😀
 
Many of these kids have very poor dietary habits as well--- I won't be too suprised if a bunch of them gain tons of weight over the next four years.

Right now I have gummie bears, pizza and a PBR in front of me while I study. All brain food I tell you! If I notice some love handles I will have to switch to PBR Light, a sad day that will be...
 
I think the older you are, the better you will do in pharmacy school. As you get older, you become wiser and your critical thinking skills improve. All of this is important in graduate school.

I agree. The older you get, the more developed your brain gets. When I was in my early 20s, my brain was like a bowl of jello. When I studied for tests, it was about trying to memorize and cram all the info into my head. Now I'm in my late 20s, I think a little differently. I start to question the information entering my mind. Pharmacy school isn't all about memorzing. You have to think critically. The best time to fully grasp what you are learning and to enter pharmacy school is in your late 20s.
 
I agree. The older you get, the more developed your brain gets. When I was in my early 20s, my brain was like a bowl of jello. When I studied for tests, it was about trying to memorize and cram all the info into my head. Now I'm in my late 20s, I think a little differently. I start to question the information entering my mind. Pharmacy school isn't all about memorzing. You have to think critically. The best time to fully grasp what you are learning and to enter pharmacy school is in your late 20s.

That explains why I'm smarter today than maybe 3 years ago.:laugh:
 
well, I look at learning as 2 different kinds of flavors: intelligence and wisdom.

When I was in undergrad, had a near photographic memory and got A's, but didn't know how anything I learned from the books worked in real life. Now I'm older, memory is just average, but I can see possibilities and applications beyond what's taught.

Too bad wisdom takes time to acquire and couldn't really be taught. By the time you have it, your intelligence has long since peaked.
 
I was 22 when I entered pharmacy school, I might as well have been 42, I did not remember Ochem/Genchem all that well .. at all. If you know how to study and can manage your time, I'm sure you will be fine 👍
 
Just in case you haven't had enough encouragement and affirmation that you can do it...here's one more person who thinks you'll be fine. 🙂

I actually sit next to a guy who's in his 40s in class all the time, he is a great motivation because he really tries to apply all the knowledge we are getting instead of cramming stuff in. He's got a family and sometimes I'll ask what he did over the weekend, and it will be something like "painted my house" or "yard work" and I wonder how he can do it all. Then I remember that I spend lots of time on sdn and facebook that I could probably be putting towards yard work too....if i had a yard that is. :laugh:

Anyway, point being, you'll be fine! Best of luck.
 
I'd also encourage non-traditional students with kids. It is definitely doable with a three-year-old son. It may not be the ideal way to go through a PharmD program, but I get a reasonable amount of time with my son and I'm making almost all As.
 
Wow, this is so encouraging. Thank you for starting this thread and for everyone that contributed. I turn the big 3-0 next week and I will be starting Pharm school in September. I have been working full-time and going to school on nights/weekends for the past six years... so I'm actually hoping once I start it will be a relief, ha ha!

I start to get down on myself, comparing myself to others, worried that I won't fit in (ugh, like high school all over again), and that my brain has slowed down a bit and I get tired earlier. On the flip side, I can't believe that anyone entering Pharm school would be concerned about parties, hanging out, and social clubs ect. -- that just seems SO young and immature to me. I certainly wouldn't want my future doctor or pharmacist to have that kind of attitude.

Ultimately the insight and life experience that I have gained has gotten me to where I am today. Obviously I was able to put that across to the admission committee as well - so if they can have faith in me, I definitely have to have it in myself. I will get through the next 4 years by putting one foot in front of the other - and I will kick some ass :ninja:
 
I wondered why the average age of the people at the school I'm applying to was 27. now i know. I'm a young boy, but if i will be going to school with students with that level of maturity and experience, i will have to up my game!! 👍

Dreezy10
 
You're old when:

1. You realize that you could have been the parent of ANY of your classmates.
2. Students mistake you for faculty.
3. You find out that more than one of your major professors graduated high school the same year as you.

lmao!! :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a 58-year old woman in my pharmacy school graduating class...this was >10 years ago, mind you.

You're DEFINITELY not old.😉

You're old when:

1. You realize that you could have been the parent of ANY of your classmates.
2. Students mistake you for faculty.
3. You find out that more than one of your major professors graduated high school the same year as you.


Crap. That means I'm old! 😱
 
I'm 26, and while I'm not old by any means, I feel much more capable of handling upper level coursework than I did 3 years ago.

I returned to school this past fall after 2.5 years away. I left school pulling B's, and since returning have a 4.0.

My time management and dedication is MUCH better than it was when I was younger.