Accepted students, when do you move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organdonor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do other accepted students plan to move? I live about a 3 hour drive away from my school and will be moving there this summer. I suppose if you are living on campus the move in days are relatively set, but I plan on living offcampus either in a house or apartment.

My school has traditionally started in mid august and I plan to move in July. I figure this will allow me some time to get settled in the area, find out where I can shop/workout/study. The flipside of this is that I have a part time job, with the opportunity to pick up full time hours. Of course the longer I stay here the longer I can earn a paycheck. But will this matter if all my money is going to be gone (to med schools) no matter what I do?

Is this on par with what others are thinking? Especially those without a job, are you moving as soon as your undergrad ends?

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what school I get into, I'll be moving at least 3 hrs away. I was planning to work until mid july or so and then move out there a week or two before class starts. A
ny sooner and I'd probably be lonely or bored, plus I'm probably not going to have too much money for groceries and bills until my fin aid comes through.

If I pick the school I'm heavily leaning towards, I should be moving end of April/early May? I'm psyched. I'm the type of person that needs to be completely settled in and adjusted to the area before classes start. Luckily, I telecommute, so I can still work after I move :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of the schools I'm accepted at so far begin orientation near the beginning of August, so I'm planning on starting a lease in July so I can move in a week or two before orientation. I would like to stay at my current job for as long as possible to make as much $$ as possible, though...my goal is to avoid taking out loan money for personal expenses and travel, at least for the first year. Dunno if this will be possible, but I'mma gonna try! :xf:

If I pick the school I'm heavily leaning towards, I should be moving end of April/early May? I'm psyched. I'm the type of person that needs to be completely settled in and adjusted to the area before classes start. Luckily, I telecommute, so I can still work after I move :)
wow April? My undergrad lasts until the first week of may. Of course, if you telecommute why the heck not?

For me there is always that marriage/honeymoon thing this summer :rolleyes: that I have to plan around.

J/k she rules :love:

wow April? My undergrad lasts until the first week of may. Of course, if you telecommute why the heck not?

For me there is always that marriage/honeymoon thing this summer :rolleyes: that I have to plan around.

Congratulations!

If I get in next year, as luck would have it our lease is up at the end of July, so I figured that's when we'd move, if we need to.

Congratulations!
Well thanks! Ya my life is about to get really real, really quick. Graduate-> work full time-> get married-> move->help her find a job to support us-> start medical school
all this summer :scared:

Eh, nothing really holding me back from moving and getting settled in. Plus, cost of living is much cheaper and I can start on my MPH a bit early.

Congrats on the upcoming marriage!!! What a blessed thing to have to plan around lol

I would probably move in a week before school starts, or if there is rez, as late as possible. I wanna tour the world and spend more time with my family and friends first.

With a mandatory orientation (7 business days total I believe) starting towards the end of July, I plan to try to get moved in by the beginning of June.

Well thanks! Ya my life is about to get really real, really quick. Graduate-> work full time-> get married-> move->help her find a job to support us-> start medical school

Good luck! I wish you guys all the best.

Where are you going on your HM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well thanks! Ya my life is about to get really real, really quick. Graduate-> work full time-> get married-> move->help her find a job to support us-> start medical school -> start a wonderful new life together

Fixed that for ya.;)

Same here as pretty much everyone else...I'm hoping to move mid or late July.

Are you guys looking for places now?? i have not begun to start. i suppose i also need to decided where i will be attending and if i would like a roommate.

With a mandatory orientation (7 business days total I believe) starting towards the end of July, I plan to try to get moved in by the beginning of June.
I haven't heard of anything like this? Our white coat is right in the middle of Aug, and although it is mandatory, I don't think there is any other "orientation." I understand the whole "this building is here, this is where you will eat" thing, but what do they show the the other 6 days?
Good luck! I wish you guys all the best.

Where are you going on your HM?
Hopefully Puerto Rico. We would love to go somewhere tropical but like the fact that it is technically the U.S. ergo no passports.

Hopefully Puerto Rico. We would love to go somewhere tropical but like the fact that it is technically the U.S. ergo no passports.
You haven't booked yet? Are you waiting for a last minute deal like at Apple Vacations or something? Hop to it!

PR would be good. You could also go to the US Virgin Islands without a passport, though if I were you, I'd just get the passport and go somewhere in the area that's a little more affordable (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Aruba... I've heard Roatan is supposed to be awesome, too).

Or you could do a cruise. I don't know where you are but there are some that leave from places other than Florida (NYC, Philly, Baltimore, I think some places along the Gulf, too) that will take you to the caribbean, or at the very least, Bermuda. Everything's included and you don't have to pay for airfare. If you have a port of call that's close to you, I mean.

Sorry, I'm derailing your thread!

I haven't heard of anything like this? Our white coat is right in the middle of Aug, and although it is mandatory, I don't think there is any other "orientation." I understand the whole "this building is here, this is where you will eat" thing, but what do they show the the other 6 days?

It's like a welcoming week: meet and greet your classmates, meet your professors, socials, organized team activities showcasing the area, make smores together, etc.

I will probably try to move the middle-end of july. Which gives me a month after graduation to relax and travel.... :)

I haven't heard of anything like this? Our white coat is right in the middle of Aug, and although it is mandatory, I don't think there is any other "orientation." I understand the whole "this building is here, this is where you will eat" thing, but what do they show the the other 6 day.

One of the days is a trip to their other campus to check things out there, apparently an entire day dedicated to learning some things about fancy software on the new laptops, the white coat ceremony is one of the days, other than that I am not entirely sure.

Speaking of moving and loans...does anyone know when loans are usually distributed? I don't have very far to move (only 10 minutes :rolleyes:) but would like to get my own place asap. Ideally I'd like to move sometime in July. I'll probably be working full time up until our orientation in the beginning of august.

When do other accepted students plan to move? I live about a 3 hour drive away from my school and will be moving there this summer. I suppose if you are living on campus the move in days are relatively set, but I plan on living offcampus either in a house or apartment.

My school has traditionally started in mid august and I plan to move in July. I figure this will allow me some time to get settled in the area, find out where I can shop/workout/study. The flipside of this is that I have a part time job, with the opportunity to pick up full time hours. Of course the longer I stay here the longer I can earn a paycheck. But will this matter if all my money is going to be gone (to med schools) no matter what I do?

Is this on par with what others are thinking? Especially those without a job, are you moving as soon as your undergrad ends?

If I were you, OP, I'd stay at that job for as long as I could before leaving.

I'll be moving in as soon as I can. Settle in a little, meet some hunnies out and about (because I'll not have much time for that once school starts), etc.

OP so glad you made this thread...this was something I was seriously thinking about. I think I have decided that I am moving a month before to get settled and familiar with the new place because looks like no matter where I end up it will be new to me. So it looks like July for me. My last day at work will be when my current lease is up in May and travel until July yay!!! Ive been saving so I should have like 4 grand saved to help with moving and living expenses before the loans kick in when school starts in August

I was thinking August 1st.

Some of the schools I'm interested in do have students living in dorms... anyone know when the dorms for any particular schools open?

Last year, I moved in Aug. 1 since I didn't have to set anything up (lived in the dorms). This year, I came down in late July to get all my utilities turned on and house basics bought.

My year started August 1st; I was settled into my new place by mid-June.

I moved about 2 weeks before orientation. That was plenty of time.

One factor you may need to consider is that the financial aid might not kick in until the semester starts, which could be as late as the week AFTER orientation. That's a lot of moving, rent and utilities and general living expenses you'll need to be paying for out of pocket. Budget that first month appropriately.

I was planning on quitting my job at the end of July and moving in the first week of August. I'm used to starting classes right away after I move (like that day or the next), so I figure a few days to get settled will be ideal, and both schools that I'd potentially go to don't start orientation until the second week in August.

I am hoping to move about a month before school starts... figure the time will help me get familiar with the new area. Still tryna decide whether to go with on campus housing or off campus. Does anyone know if graduate school housing is similar to undergraduate dormitory life? cause if it is I will probably stay off campus. In regards to financial aid, how r u all dealing with expenses prior to when that comes in. My school requires a hefty deposit ( couple thousand) and other obvious moving expenses before financial aid comes through. I barely have anything saved :( application process drained me!

I am hoping to move about a month before school starts... figure the time will help me get familiar with the new area. Still tryna decide whether to go with on campus housing or off campus. Does anyone know if graduate school housing is similar to undergraduate dormitory life? cause if it is I will probably stay off campus. In regards to financial aid, how r u all dealing with expenses prior to when that comes in. My school requires a hefty deposit ( couple thousand) and other obvious moving expenses before financial aid comes through. I barely have anything saved :( application process drained me!

A MONTH BEFORE!!!!! I was planning to move in like a day or 2 before orientation this August... looks like I will have to re-plan haha....

how many of you plan to have room-mates? I went through undergrad surrounded by 4 of my frat brothers..... I studied in the library throughout the entire day, and would get back at home at night and go out with my frat then.. so we all got along very well... no one of us really studied at home, and all of us studied in the library primarily

but i heard med school it is better to stay single because despite staying in the library all day, thats usually not enough and med students decide to study till late at night and sometimes the study schedule may annoy your room-mates.... so just wanted to get an idea about whether people are going to be rooming or not...

and if most of you are going to be living a lone, does the loneliness factor become a problem?

Last edited:
A MONTH BEFORE!!!!! I was planning to move in like a day or 2 before orientation this August... looks like I will have to re-plan haha....

how many of you plan to have room-mates? I went through undergrad surrounded by 4 of my frat brothers..... I studied in the library throughout the entire day, and would get back at home at night and go out with my frat then.. so we all got along very well... no one of us really studied at home, and all of us studied in the library primarily

but i heard med school it is better to stay single because despite staying in the library all day, thats usually not enough and med students decide to study till late at night and sometimes the study schedule may annoy your room-mates.... so just wanted to get an idea about whether people are going to be rooming or not...

and if most of you are going to be living a lone, does the loneliness factor become a problem?

anyone?? this is important for me to know.

Hey! Sweet! I have the exact same summer goin on :) It's gonna be great!!! :thumbup:

yep i too am curious about the roommate situation. I cannot decide what is the better move

yep i too am curious about the roommate situation. I cannot decide what is the better move

I've lived alone before and didn't like it much because it turned me into a hermit. But I'm thinking that might be a good thing in med school when my free time will be limited anyways. That combined with the fact that I probably won't be going to lectures if they aren't required, prefer studying at home, and am easily distracted, I'm going to just be living by myself and seeing how it goes. I have dogs, so hopefully that will mitigate any twinges of loneliness I might feel while adjusting to a new city/school. I think it's all based on personal preference though.

And moving in 2 weeks prior to the start of orientation sounds about right.

Last edited:
If you plan on living alone, I'd make sure to get in with your class somehow so you have people to go to dinner with or something. Med school has a way of amplifying loneliness. I've always been really independent - almost a loner - but that changed last year.

I hate living alone, so I definitely want to live with someone next year. Having at least one other person to talk to face-to-face when the day is done is nice.

If you plan on living alone, I'd make sure to get in with your class somehow so you have people to go to dinner with or something. Med school has a way of amplifying loneliness. I've always been really independent - almost a loner - but that changed last year.

:(...and then :)

Hey! Sweet! I have the exact same summer goin on :) It's gonna be great!!! :thumbup:

Congrats! and I'm sorry! lol. It is a strange mix of emotions we will be headed for no?

Oh so NOW PR is good enough for SDN premeds?? :laugh:
haha I will have to make a thread something like this
title: (therefore what people see before clicking)

So I decided to go to Puerto Rico

Body: (what they see AFTER clicking)

For my honeymoon :p

for those moving in a month before school starts, what would you do for that month? seems like a powerful long time to be lonely if you don't know anybody around your school

haha I will have to make a thread something like this
title: (therefore what people see before clicking)

So I decided to go to Puerto Rico

Body: (what they see AFTER clicking)

For my honeymoon :p

Doooo it...although it won't be nearly as good since you announced it here but I'm sure it'll still get plenty of laughs. :)

:(...and then :)
Uh...actually, that's all :(. I guess I should've been more clear. I've always been able to entertain myself and get by just fine on my own despite being really social when I had the opportunity. Last year is the first time I've ever felt like I was getting less contact than I needed.

Congrats! and I'm sorry! lol. It is a strange mix of emotions we will be headed for no?

Haha yeah it will be! But it's going to be great!! I am really looking forward to the support that she will give me!! She's always been awesome at that!

If I stay in-state, I will move as soon as I possibly can because if I'm living in New Orleans, I would rather have my own place ASAP instead of staying with my parents for the summer. :laugh:

If I go OOS, 2 weeks before orientation sounds good. Unless it's Houston, then I'll cut the time down since it's not too different.

Ugh. This totally touches on my biggest dilemma right now. I thought my world would be all happy and shiny when I got my first acceptance...but now I'm just a giant stress-ball over other stuff :(. I really don't know where I'll be going right now--probably won't know until the very end of this application season, but in all likelihood, I'm moving cross country. In the meantime, I'm gutting through a job I hate to pay the bills (sooo done with lab work). I wanted to take a couple months off and travel before moving, say quit may-->travel may-june-->move july...but the closer I get to leaving the more I realize I'm really going to miss my home and my people here, and I kinda wanna make the most of the time I have left here. I'm really close to the community I taught in, and my students are seniors this year; it's a huge year and the biggest time of year to be leaving them. And my bf and I still aren't sure what we're doing, so I have to get that junk resolved before I can merrily fly off around the world on my own (he can't go with me). But if I stay, I have to keep working the daily 9-5 grind in my boring job, which makes me want to cry--is it too much to ask to be an unemployed hippie before med school?? Besides that, I have a giant, time/money/energy consuming dog that I can't just abandon, which also further complicates my living situation for next year. Aaaggghh.

Sorry for that ridiculous ramble...not actually looking for help, just venting. Or maybe just wasting time at work/taking up valuable forum space. Sorry :p

Ugh. This totally touches on my biggest dilemma right now. I thought my world would be all happy and shiny when I got my first acceptance...but now I'm just a giant stress-ball over other stuff :(. I really don't know where I'll be going right now--probably won't know until the very end of this application season, but in all likelihood, I'm moving cross country. In the meantime, I'm gutting through a job I hate to pay the bills (sooo done with lab work). I wanted to take a couple months off and travel before moving, say quit may-->travel may-june-->move july...but the closer I get to leaving the more I realize I'm really going to miss my home and my people here, and I kinda wanna make the most of the time I have left here. I'm really close to the community I taught in, and my students are seniors this year; it's a huge year and the biggest time of year to be leaving them. And my bf and I still aren't sure what we're doing, so I have to get that junk resolved before I can merrily fly off around the world on my own (he can't go with me). But if I stay, I have to keep working the daily 9-5 grind in my boring job, which makes me want to cry--is it too much to ask to be an unemployed hippie before med school?? Besides that, I have a giant, time/money/energy consuming dog that I can't just abandon, which also further complicates my living situation for next year. Aaaggghh.

Sorry for that ridiculous ramble...not actually looking for help, just venting. Or maybe just wasting time at work/taking up valuable forum space. Sorry :p

Aw, Taco. :( *hug* for you. I can totally relate. I felt fine with moving across the country as well when I was just applying, but now that I'm accepted, the fact that I'm likely going to have to uproot and start anew is just beginning to sink it. You're not alone and things will be okay. I have a parasite of a dog as well, which is one reason I'm thinking of living alone my first year. Would be easier just to find a dog-friendly living arrangement as a single occupant than trying to do so while simultaneously finding a cool roommate. But yeah, just try to take it one step at a time. :) It's only February, still early. Got plenty of time for things to work themselves out.

Uh...actually, that's all :(. I guess I should've been more clear. I've always been able to entertain myself and get by just fine on my own despite being really social when I had the opportunity. Last year is the first time I've ever felt like I was getting less contact than I needed.

Oh, ok. I interpreted the original statement a different way. In that case, then, it is :( and :(. Cheer up with the Best Thread Ever:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=565169

My plan is to move in a month early if I have to move far from home, and two weeks early if its within driving distance (8hrs). I have three dogs, a cat, and a fiance (who has one more year of undergrad after I graduate). I will definitely need a house with a yard. And I would love a roommate, but I can't imagine anyone else wanting to live with the zoo Im bringing along with me.

Are you guys planning on flying/driving down to your school at some point to look for apartments before you move? I hate the idea of having a few days or a week to look at apartments/houses. And how do we find out which are nice neighborhoods to live in?

I'm going with a roommate if I can swing it. 1) It's usually a little cheaper, and every little bit helps, and 2) I hate living alone. It gets so lonely, and I'm not one to really go out and actively seek entertainment. I don't care that I might not have any free time, I want to be able to kick back with another semi-sane human at the end of the day, or even have someone to complain to when studying becomes too much.