ACCEPTED!!!!!!Thank God!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesonStokes

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA. I am ecstatic and cant wait to begin medical school. Ive wanted to become a physician for most of my life and I finally have the opportunity. I am starting in late June of 1999. I need feedback, any hints or experiences from first years, accepted applicants, or any upper classmen. MSM is an allopathic school. I hope to get feedback on what I will experience during med school during the first year and what I can purchase now to help me get a jump on the hard work. Thanks for the feedback...

Members don't see this ad.

The only anatomy atlas I recommend is the Netter. You don't need fantasy CD rom, just the atlas text is good enough.

For physical examination buy a some handy spiral book with the title:

Rapid Access guide to physical examination. 2nd edition, by Donals W. Novey

Your first year is basic science, such as anatomy biochem, histology, cell bio molecular bio, genetic, physiology, neuroanatomy, microbiology, embroyology, etc. The one that take most of your time is anatomy. You will need to go to the lab and study the cadavor for many hours before the lab exam. You may like it, but mostly likely hate the lab.

You will studying for about 4 hours at least per day. But still alloacate one nigth each week to go out. That's what I did and I am doing very well in my first year.

Second year, I don't know much yet but it will much more load than first.

Imagine, your first semester may have 22-26 creidts. Your second may be 28-32 creidts.

Good luck. If you want to travel, do it this summer before you enter 7 years of hardship. You will enjoy medical school, but you need to work for it.

Jameson,

Congrats on getting into Morehouse!!!! You are part of a select group of people, I believe they only have a class of 50 students? It is refreshing to hear how excited people get when they finally fulfill their dreams, I myself was accepted to an osteopathic medical school in California in October. A good buddy of mine just got an acceptance from Meharry Medical College, and he is just as excited as you. Don't worry too much about studying anything before med school. My med school friends now (one is a 1st year) tell me to chill and enjoy some party time before the big day starts in the fall. Have fun!

EDGAR

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me just second Edgar's congrats - you will love Atlanta. Getting into med school is quite an accomplishment.
Good luck
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

Congrats, I heard it is really difficult to get into Morehouse or Meharry. That is why in US News they don't even list stats such as GPA and MCAT. They must be really high and they don't want to scare anyone off.

U.S. Medical School Applicants, New Entrants for 1994-1995.
Morehouse: 3,034 applicants - 34 new entrants
Meharry: 5,548 applicants - 80 new entrants
Howard: 5,878 applicants - 122 new entrants
Baylor: 1,524 applicants - 167 new entrants
Johns Hopkins: 3,658 applicants - 118 new entrants
Yale: 2,867 applicants - 100 new entrants

It seems to me that it is difficult to get into ANY medical school, so an additional congrats to Jameson! Ignore what "DOGBOY" had to say.

I don't think you read DOGBOY's comment closely Doreen.

On the contrary, JonM, I think Doreen knew exactly what DOGBOY was trying to say. None of us are really interested in getting involved in another one of your people bashing stints.

Renee

Renee, I'm not sure what you mean. Could you clarify your previous statement for me.

All I meant was that what DOGBOY said was very mean, inconsiderate and low as many of his comments usually are. Your comment that Doreen didn't understand that comment led me to believe that you wanted to keep that line of thinking going. If that was not your intention, forgive me. I was only using the past autocrine vs. paracrine postings that you made as reference.

Congrats on Morehouse,

This is the beginning of the next stage of your life. I remember the moment that I learned I was accepted, I am sure you will too.

I lived in Atlanta for 5 years. It is a nice city.

Please ignore the idiots who are jealous of your success; people will always be jealous of people who succeed. Unfortunately there are people who are attracted to medicine who are petty in this way. Perhaps more unfortunately, med school admissions committees don't always weed these people out. This is one of the reasons I am trying to get on the admissions committee at my school.

Best of luck

Johan Aasbo
MS-1 CCOM

Hey MS1-CCOM, as it turns out I was accepted at your school, along with 6 others so I must really have fooled them all since I am petty and need to be weeded out. I am sure you will be the magic wand that weeds out all undesirable candidates just by looking at them. Anyways my point is that the facts remain that the average MCAT at Morehouse is around a 7. I am sorry but it is graduates from schools like this that have condescending attitudes about DO's that get my goat. Obviously I am not singling out Jameson because I don't know him and he very well may have higher MCAT, etc. than me, however when you have people with inferior qualifications that have MD after their name and discriminate against DO's I have a problem. Besides Jameson pointed out that Morehouse was an allopathic school so it sounded like he was relieved he didn't have to "settle" for osteopathic medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to the above tirade,

very convincing argument.

Grades and numbers have always been effective measurements of a person's worth.

You certainly have revealed a lot about your finer qualities to us all.

I don't think that anybody who reads your post will come away with the opinion that admissions committees are doing good jobs of selecting the physicians of tommorrow.

I am sorry, but I am scared for anybody who is unlucky enough to have you as their doctor, regardless of how many people you snowed to get into school.

Johan Aasbo
MS-1 CCOM

That is such a typical osteopathic student response. Grades and MCAT's are not indicative of the type of doctor one will be. You forgot to throw in that it is compassion that makes a good doctor and we all know osteopathic students have more compassion than any other profession on this planet Also I feel unlucky to be the patient that you will treat one day. Blah, blah, blah! Can't you use any other response? I have seen that exact post in about 1000 other posts in these forums. Oh yeah I forgot to mention that another characteristic that many osteopathic students, especially in this forum, share is intolerance to anyones views but their own. Well they do tolerate responses such as congrats!, it will be a pleasure studying medicine with you, I knew you could do it, etc., etc., but God forbid somebody says something that isn't politically correct and you guys pounce.

How can you possibly say that a person snowed admissions committess to get in? Give me a break. If you read my post I mention that Jameson may very well have better paper credentials than I. I did qualify my remark. I made a general statement, which does not pertain to any one individual.

By listening to postings in this forum it appears to me that all one needs to do to gain acceptance to medical school is be a caring, compassionate individual. So what if you got a 2.9 GPA and a 19 on the MCAT, that's not going to show how good of a physician you will be. So what if you have below average reading comprehension or lack the motivation to adequately study for such an important test, or better yet just haven't mastered the basic concepts in biology, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. You're only going to be responsible for the well being of other people. As long as you care and are compassionate, the MD or other doctor will do the intellectual aspect. No wonder DO's don't get as much respect as they should.

They are not everything, but they are a measuring stick to some extent and when someone busts their behind to improve these aspects and does and then people with vastly inferior paper qualifications are accepted and receive the same status, it is insulting, no matter how great a person they may be. DO's do have good grades and MCAT's and these need to stay that way or improve in order to garner the respect the profession deserves.

Sorry everyone has a voice

[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited 04-01-99).]

Nick, what would you like DOGBOY to do, suppress his opinions just because future students may visit this site? Give me a break. Why would you care if someone doesn't like what they may read on this site? Are we trying to advertise something here? I don't have time for political correctness. If DOGBOY has something on his mind, he should be able to express it. If you don't like what he has to say then just say you disagree.

I applaud DOGBOY for telling us what he thinks. I would imagine DOGBOY is the kind of person you can trust. I do, however, have doubts about people who don't speak their mind just because they are afraid of what someone else may think.

Don't slam the door on someone just because they don't want to be as nice as you with their comments.

I think we should all focus on the original questions or comments within these threads.

Congratulations should go out to anyone who gets accepted to medical school. And to be honest, everyone can stick their MCAT and GPA from undergrad. where the sun doesn't shine. It's a whole new ball game now. Whether you want to compete or whether you just want to do the best you can, it doesn't matter anymore. Like I've said all along, it's not about us anymore, it's about doing things for others. This is the business we have chosen.

JOHNM-- That's right - It's not about us anymore - remember that and try to keep in mind that whatever you say reflects not only on YOU but on all of us in the DO community.
Also, there is nothing wrong about advertising the DO profession anyway we can and yes I do mind some of the stupidities posted in this tread.
--Nicolas--
WesternU'03

Nick, who made you so intelligent and the rest of us so ignorant?

Please be considerate on this forum. I appreciate everyone's view point and will not tolerate bashing of our fellow colleagues. Sarcastic view points will be deleted. If someone has a problem please directly contact me and I will try and resolve the issue.
Have a great weekend
smile.gif
Diane E

------------------

See, Diane made a very good point in a manner that was kind, even if she doesn't agree with my or anyone elses opinion. It is evident that she will tolerate them as long as they are not out of line. I don't think pointing out facts is derogatory in any manner and expressing my opinion is my right. Thank you JONM. I am sure JONM hasn't agreed with many of my views, however he respects my right to voice my opinion. I am glad Nick that you are now sorry and realize that everyone has a voice!
smile.gif

My final word on this thread:

DOGBOY, this was your initial comment:

"Congrats, I heard it is really difficult to get into Morehouse or Meharry. That is why in US News they don't even list stats such as GPA and MCAT. They must be really high and they don't want to scare anyone off."

That's not derogatory? What do you call it?

sarcastic, cynical maybe, not derogatory enough to warrant editing like Nicks comment to me did. I will miss you Renee

although i do disagree with his tact, i believe DOGBOY does have the right to express himself and those who do frequent this message board also have the right to view the opinions of all, not only the "chosen" opinions of some. people should realize that his cynicism is a hoax in a feable attempt to gain a rise out people. don't even sweat it. to shelter readers of any opinions on this board is to breed ignorance. take care, rene

I think the basic problem here is a lack of respect and professional
courtesy. When it comes to voicing an opinion, all are welcome.
However, please remember that the main purpose of this BB is to help
each other. Sarcasm is seldom helpful and only serves to antagonize
those to whom it is directed.

Also, on the subject of numbers (grades and MCATs), please realize
that institutionalized racism in our educational system (kindergarten
to college) is still a problem, which is why SOME minorities are
allowed to matriculate with lower numbers (no, I'm not a minority,
I studied the issue in grad sch). But rest assured, any favoritism
that might have gotten someone in the door, ends there as well. ALL
med students and physicians must pass the same boards and certifying
exams. NO ONE is given a medical degree unless they have earned it.
Also, just because someone has stellar numbers does NOT mean they'll
be a med school stud (one of the TOP students at my undergrad school
had to repeat the entire first year).

So...let's use this area for it's intended purpose and stop attacking
each other. Say anything you want, but please don't say things you
wouldn't say to someones' face.

I love the replies here. "say anything you want", but if it is sarcastic or offends anyone don't say it. That's an interesting way of allowing free speech. I also love the comment that some people are admitted with lower credentials but THEN the favoritism ends there. That's all fine and dandy except to the people who can't pursue their dream because their place has been taken. Some people can't apply year after year until they get in.

It is always mentioned that just because you have good credentials before medical school it doesn't mean that you will become a good physician. No it doesn't, but since when does having subpar qualifications mean that you WILLl become a good physician? Too many people defend applicants who shouldn't have been accepted by saying that they will be good physicians. How do we know? If that is the case then why not just reject all the top students becasue they won't be good physicians. Puzzling

Reactions: 1 user
I never said don't be sarcastic, I said it is seldom helpful. And give
me a break!!!!!! I can't name a SINGLE person who didn't eventually get
into med school if they really wanted to and had even mediocre numbers.
I also can't name a single person who wasn't able to reapply if necessary
(low income students are eligible for financial assistance). The idea
that small numbers of "low MCAT" matriculants are preventing others from
gaining admission is laughable. By the way, a DME once told me that those
with 7's and 8's were entirely capable of becoming good physicians. It
wouldn't be easy for them but they could certainly make it. Once you are
actually in med sch you will see that many qualities are required, not just
intelligence. Then you can talk about who will or will not make a good
physician.

[This message has been edited by Deb (edited 04-04-99).]

I hate to open your eyes to reality but some people do have situations in their lives that may prevent them from continuallly reapplying to medical school. They are different for each person. Just because YOU don't know anyone surely doesn't mean that there aren't people like that out there.