Accepted, Then Life Happened

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1013752

*registers for SDN and reads several "rejected acceptance" threads*

I was accepted as a DO a few years ago while completing a post-bacc and declined. I started working in the EHR field, completed an MS (3.9, social sciences), and had a few more kids. My primary reason for declining was the perceived impracticality of producing multiple children with two med student parents. My wife is an MS4. She has been successful and will be finished soon, so I've had some space to consider what I'd like to do.

I've had a front-row seat to the med school process and am still interested (call me crazy). My focus the past several years has been pretty much head-down, put a roof over everyone's head, and get through. It has worked, in a way. But an EHR consultant is never what I set out to be so I'm on SDN at 11 pm on a Sunday at age 33.

I'm not concerned about timeline - I'm going to keep getting older anyway. I'm not worried about money - my current job is extremely easy and well compensated. I don't intend this as a WAMC thread - really just looking for some perspective from outside my immediate circle.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a student in my class who is about 36 with 2 kids.

As long as your wife is okay with it and you’ve talked about what’s to come, and you’re positive this is what you want to do, all power to you!

As long as your wife is okay with it and you’ve talked about what’s to come, and you’re positive this is what you want to do, all power to you!

Yep she's the one who brought it up. Residency will be the first time she's earning an income since 2012, so really my first opportunity to do something besides work full time. Plus the kids are a bit older and 2/3 will be school age before I'd start in 2021, and #3 would be before rotations start.

As for being positive I want to do it, I feel that sort of clarity/certainty is behind me, for better or worse. No matter what my career decisions are, they come with a whole bag of varied outcomes. Very different from when I left active duty to take 12 credits a semester and had to make really tough decisions like "Chicken or beef?"

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a great video I just watched with my wife. The title makes it sounds like it might be dissuading older people from pursuing medical school, but it's not. It's really positive (and I related to the guy cause my background is in engineering).

Reactions: 3 users
*registers for SDN and reads several "rejected acceptance" threads*

I was accepted as a DO a few years ago while completing a post-bacc and declined. I started working in the EHR field, completed an MS (3.9, social sciences), and had a few more kids. My primary reason for declining was the perceived impracticality of producing multiple children with two med student parents. My wife is an MS4 headed for EM. She has been successful and will be finished soon, so I've had some space to consider what I'd like to do.

I've had a front-row seat to the med school process and am still interested (call me crazy). My focus the past several years has been pretty much head-down, put a roof over everyone's head, and get through. It has worked, in a way. But an EHR consultant is never what I set out to be so I'm on SDN at 11 pm on a Sunday at age 33.

I'm not concerned about timeline - I'm going to keep getting older anyway. I'm not worried about money - my current job is extremely easy and well compensated. I don't intend this as a WAMC thread - really just looking for some perspective from outside my immediate circle.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
If you don't apply, your rejection rate will be 100%

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't apply, your rejection rate will be 100%
Can't argue with that. What I'm vetting here is the notion that the reasons one pursues medicine are time and context-sensitive. There's an alternate version of my life where I accepted and continued, but I'm not living that version and I'm okay with that. I'm wondering if I will continue to be okay with that.

Can't argue with that. What I'm vetting here is the notion that the reasons one pursues medicine are time and context-sensitive. There's an alternate version of my life where I accepted and continued, but I'm not living that version and I'm okay with that. I'm wondering if I will continue to be okay with that.
I think that you'll be OK

I think that you'll be OK
Reasonable. But if I don’t apply, the five minutes I spent on my clever profile photo is wasted. That’s not one but TWO png images from the google.