Accepted to Medical School. What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stumped2011

Reaction score
So I was accepted back in October, but now that we're in 2020 and about 6 months out from school starting, I'm wondering what the timeline for preparing to attend medical school in the fall should look like. At what point should I start looking at housing in the city I would be attending school? At what point do people typically make the move? Are their any steps I should be taking now to make sure I'm well prepared?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Attend second look if you can. I'll be waiting then until I start looking for roommates and places to live. If you can't swing that, I'd join the class Facebook group/make one to find roommates.

Reactions: 4 users
So I was accepted back in October, but now that we're in 2020 and about 6 months out from school starting, I'm wondering what the timeline for preparing to attend medical school in the fall should look like. At what point should I start looking at housing in the city I would be attending school? At what point do people typically make the move? Are their any steps I should be taking now to make sure I'm well prepared?
Most med schools start in July or August so be sure to know the dates for your school! I would start looking for housing 2-3 months prior to your desired moving date. Most apartments want 60 days notice from current renters moving out so by then you can get a good idea of vacancies available.

Members don't see this ad :)
check with your school I'm sure they have a list of things to do before. Some common things are..
  • Complete financial aid and budget
  • Visit your doctor and get all your health screening/vaccinations/records in order
  • Complete any required pre-matriculation training (CITI/HIPPA)
  • purchase any required materials/books
As others suggested above attend second look and network look for roommates etc., If chances are that you're in the running for another school you should probably hold off on locking down a place to live until may/june imo.

Most importantly if I was you I would be planning a trip. Personally I'm quitting my job the first week of July and going on a 3 week road trip before I start school the first week of August.

Reactions: 1 user
check with your school I'm sure they have a list of things to do before. Some common things are..
  • Complete financial aid and budget
  • Visit your doctor and get all your health screening/vaccinations/records in order
  • Complete any required pre-matriculation training (CITI/HIPPA)
  • purchase any required materials/books
As others suggested above attend second look and network look for roommates etc., If chances are that you're in the running for another school you should probably hold off on locking down a place to live until may/june imo.

Most importantly if I was you I would be planning a trip. Personally I'm quitting my job the first week of July and going on a 3 week road trip before I start school the first week of August.
Thanks for the info! I want to make a trip in maybe June to look at potential places. I'm still on the waitlist for three other schools, but I will no for sure by May 15th (or so) if they're extending an offer.

Also, good luck on your trip! I already have a bucket list trip booked for Tokyo in May!

Attend second look if you can. I'll be waiting then until I start looking for roommates and places to live. If you can't swing that, I'd join the class Facebook group/make one to find roommates.
Luckily, I have a husband who will be working so I doubt we will need a roommate. The cost of living is pretty low where I've been accepted.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Luckily, I have a husband who will be working so I doubt we will need a roommate. The cost of living is pretty low where I've been accepted.

Hey if you are really sad about not having a roommate I could send my 5 and 1-year-old kids to live with you. They aren't willing to contribute to your rent/house payments, unfortunately. Little moochers.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Oh I see! If your husband is coming with you, I think March is a good time to start looking

Enjoy life and read this:

Hey if you are really sad about not having a roommate I could send my 5 and 1-year-old kids to live with you. They aren't willing to contribute to your rent/house payments, unfortunately. Little moochers.
As much as I would love to take them off your hands, our two Resident Moocher positions are filled by our dog and cat!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh I see! If your husband is coming with you, I think March is a good time to start looking
The huge planner in me wants to go that early, but I'm also paranoid about buying plane tickets out there just to get off a watilist to a school somewhere else.

My wife and I moved in April because of a job offer. If you are moving to a new area with a partner, make sure to include them 100% in these decisions. You have a built in network of potential new friends and contacts with school, while they'll be out on their own.

My wife and I moved in April because of a job offer. If you are moving to a new area with a partner, make sure to include them 100% in these decisions. You have a built in network of potential new friends and contacts with school, while they'll be out on their own.
Yeah I have a lot of guilt surrounding that. He will have to leave his job at his dream Big Four accounting firm in a major city that he has been busting his ass of at four years to move to a fairly rural area. He tells me that he doesn't care where he is as long as there's high speed internet, but I can't help but to feel some guilt over potentially damaging his career to further my own.

Yeah I have a lot of guilt surrounding that. He will have to leave his job at his dream Big Four accounting firm in a major city that he has been busting his ass of at four years to move to a fairly rural area. He tells me that he doesn't care where he is as long as there's high speed internet, but I can't help but to feel some guilt over potentially damaging his career to further my own.
That’s the game unfortunately. I’ve told every class below me, you’re becoming the doctor, but both of you are in med school.

That’s the game unfortunately. I’ve told every class below me, you’re becoming the doctor, but both of you are in med school.

Does this apply to pets as well? The 1st question I've gotten asked everytime I've told people I was going to medical school is "What are you going to do about your dog?".
I'm so confused by this bc I thought the default was to bring him.
I now reply with "He's coming with me, WE'RE going to medical school!"

Sorry he's having to leave his dream job, but he'll be very marketable with his current experience and ALSO with the experience he will be able to get in a smaller firm. Small companies can offer a lot of variety and opportunity. Having worked at both large and small companies, I'd never go back to large. He might be pleasantly surprised...