Accepted to PA school... but having doubts.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The human psyche and its ability for mental gymnastics never cease to amaze me.
Olympic level, non stop.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I actually found out there’s a bridge program but honestly, I’m starting to like the idea of being able to learn and work in different areas of medicine (like I’ve always done).

If you want to get a move on with your life/career, I think you should just go to PA school. They have seriously sweet gigs, regularly get paid paid 100k+ (sometimes close to 150k if you enter a surgical department), get to provide direct patient care, amazing shift schedules in many specialties without the hellhole that is residency etc. There are much worse situations to be in in life OP.
I know. I seem to dwell on the small things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard no. The OP's posts reek of ignorance and outright arrogance. The OP would be wasting the taxpayers' money (assuming its a state school), the faculty's time and energy, taking a seat from someone who's dying to get in, and is acting very selfishly. "Look at me, I have it so hard! I have to start PA school in 4 months but I'm going to try taking the MCAT after only a month of studying so that I can noncommittally attempt to feel less inferior to all the doctors!! Maybe I'll try out therapy too? LOL." Bruh...come on.

The OP needs to grow up before they're ready to enter medicine or PA. They lack respect for their peers, faculty, school, and the medical training process in general. Could you imagine turning to your classmate/professor/parents on the first day of PA school and telling them that you wish you weren't in PA school because you wanted to be a doctor instead? If I was a PA student, I'd hate to have them as a classmate. Act like this and you'll be ostracized by EVERYONE so flippin' fast...

The decision to enter these professions can't be wishy-washy. If there's anything I've learned (admittingly, sometimes painfully) in my 1st year of med school is that this is a life-altering decision. Additionally, you will not succeed without drive. Sorry, but the OP but ain't got the right stuff yet. Give up your seat, take a gap year or two, prepare for the MCAT like you mean it, then apply to medical school. OR go to PA school and be freakin' stoked.
Typical SDN poster... During one of my interviews the students there directly told us they wanted to be doctors but because of their age and time commitments it would take, they chose not to. Arrogance? Idk but not having the confidence to study or do well has held me back. Literally thought everyone was smarter than me in undergrad so why even bother..

Again, typical SDN interpretation and convolution of what I said. If I can’t study for the MCAT, for things I am working on mentally (therapy), I shouldn’t even bother. Not sure what the not feeling inferior to doctor thing means.
You know lots of PA schools accept the MCAT right?

Last edited:
Don't worry about the judgemental comments on here, that's just SDN but maybe try premeddit. Imo, I think you should do PA because there's no guarrantee you will get into medical school, so having a PA degree will really allow you to fall back on something. You don't want to end up burnt out from getting rejected by medical schools and ending up with no MD/DO degree or PA-C degree. If you decide to go that route make sure you do well in your PA school classes as PA school is very tough. You're very lucky to have gotten an acceptance, it's a wonderful career.

Another tip is to imagine yourself in 5 years, would you want to work, and leave work at work, and travel, spend time on hobbies and enjoy life/settle down? If yes, then definitely stay away from medical school. If you count the years in trying to get into medical school with post bacc's or SMP's and then the application cycles, then 4 years med school, 4+ years of residency, plus years of attending salary going fully towards student loans then that's like at least 12 years from now.
Thank you, I agree. I could care less about traveling and I like the cheaper things in life luckily. Being super poor growing up, I’m just happy to not have shoes with holes in them anymore. I’ll be comfortable either way. The one thing that does hold me back is the impact on my future (hopefully) family.

Another II.😍 I think PA is the right choice but still gonna try the MCAT. I won’t lose anything but $300.

Thank you all (the kind people)
❤️

I could have sworn someone recommended the book "What Color Is Your Parachute" to me and mentioned knowing me a few years back. Anyways, to you, thank you. <3

I could have sworn someone recommended the book "What Color Is Your Parachute" to me and mentioned knowing me a few years back. Anyways, to you, thank you. <3

It was me in The Lounge. :) It makes me so happy to hear that it was useful to you. :)

Best of luck to you. <3 I am excited for your future!

It was me in The Lounge. :) It makes me so happy to hear that it was useful to you. :)

Best of luck to you. <3 I am excited for your future!
OH DUR! I clicked notifications, bought the book, and then the ADD kicked in and I couldn't find it.

Thank you again! <3

Just a last question.. sGPA of 3.4 (from like 3.0ish in undergrad) too low for MD? cGPA probably 3.6++

Just a last question.. sGPA of 3.4 (from like 3.0ish in undergrad) too low for MD? cGPA probably 3.6++

I think because your grade trend is good, you should be fine for MD if you get a very good MCAT. If your MCAT is not so good, I wouldn't risk it.

DO is a very safe bet. :)

ETA: Do I understand correctly that the 3.4 is your science GPA all together, so all of the undergrad grades are included in that 3.4? Alternatively, is the 3.4 from your post-baccalaureate courses?

Last edited:
Kind of crazy how out of the 200 something odd PA programs that 25 are under probation and 60 are provisional.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Kind of crazy how out of the 200 something odd PA programs that 25 are under probation and 60 are provisional.
Yeah, lots of new schools opening up. The probation seems to often be for reasons that aren’t that serious (IMO) when I would check accreditation for the schools I was applying to. For example, class size or not having some specific information on their website.

My top choice I’ve been accepted to is one of the oldest programs and seems to really care about the PA profession and their students. Unlike another school I interviewed at that was ALL about money (IMO) by opening up new locations every year, no cadaver lab, Zooming in classes, and rushing to increase their class size after just getting approval. I can’t even imagine how some of the newer programs are..

Last edited:
I think because your grade trend is good, you should be fine for MD if you get a very good MCAT. If your MCAT is not so good, I wouldn't risk it.

DO is a very safe bet. :)

ETA: Do I understand correctly that the 3.4 is your science GPA all together, so all of the undergrad grades are included in that 3.4? Alternatively, is the 3.4 from your post-baccalaureate courses?
So my PostBacc (almost 2 years full time) is 4.0. Did all retakes or upper level science except for like Med Term and Psych which PA required.

The 3.4 is cumulative BCPM. Might be closer to 3.5, need to double check my Excel.

Wow I love PA school! I wish I knew more about it before I was accepted.:laugh:
Didactic is SO stressful but I love all of it...
Not having spring/summer break kinda sucks but I haven't burnt out yet.
I don't always get the best grades, but I've made ADHD/anxiety my bitch and do way better now with 11 classes than when I was a struggling 20 year old with 2 science classes.

I am finally learning what I dreamed of my whole life (but obviously a bit different due to some bumps in the way).
I get taught by doctors or PAs who really know their **** in that subject.
You also have so much autonomy as a PA, especially if you want to do more and put in more work/training.

Still kinda want to be a doctor but that indecisiveness of mine is suited for lateral mobility.

I know SDN isn't a fan of PAs and I'm on two days of little sleep.:laugh:
Thank you to the people on here who were often my only support system during very difficult college years.
<3

• Love
Reactions: 2 users