Accepted to PT School, have noticeable hand tremor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Actually92

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I am currently enrolled at Azusa Pacific for this coming February! Awesome!

I do have a slight concern...

I have a noticeable hand tremor in both hands that I have had my entire life. Does anyone have any advice or experience with a PT student in a similar situation? I am curious how significantly it is going to effect me.

Thanks in advance!
 
Hi All,

I am currently enrolled at Azusa Pacific for this coming February! Awesome!

I do have a slight concern...

I have a noticeable hand tremor in both hands that I have had my entire life. Does anyone have any advice or experience with a PT student in a similar situation? I am curious how significantly it is going to effect me.

Thanks in advance!

You should be fine, they'll work around it.
 
I too am also curious on this topic. I have hand tremors in both hands and would be interested in other's thoughts in this area as a student in a DPT program. Would this be an issue?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
perhaps if you get to doing sharp debridement haha but your program should find a way to let you work around it. it isnt something that should prevent you from becoming a PT
 
I've noticed one of my professors who is also a practicing PT has a hand tremor. Ive never asked him about it but he's been practicing for quite awhile.
 
Thanks for all the replies!

I feel like once I am confident in what I am doing with my hands it will be a non-issue. I think I was just feeling a little discouraged and nervous from comments made by therapists that are teaching/letting me practice basic hands on techniques about my shakey hands. Glad to here people have met some people with similar problems.

Thanks for the encouragement!