Accepted to SMPs, Would Love to Hear Your Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitcoatsyndrom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I applied to a bunch of SMPs and got into a lot of places. As of right now, I am into University Cincinnati M.S. in physio., Georgetown SMP, Drexel IMS, BU MAMS, Loyola, and Tufts. I had all of my apps ready to go before I got my MCAT scores, so I had to apply to a lot of options without knowing how I did.

Stats:
Will graduate with a 3.2 GPA, 3.0 to 3.1 math/sci gpa, strong upward trend from sophomore year.
3 years biochem research, published twice
Some amount of clinical volunteer experience, plan on getting more
Lots of other volunteer experience, including leadership positions in the community
MCAT: PS: 13, VR: 12, BS:12, writing: R composite: 37R, taken one time
I have not previously applied to any medical schools.

So, clearly the dark side of my application is in a low GPA. With other stats being fairly high, an SMP-type program is what I need to display to medical schools that a few bad marks early in my undergrad career do not correctly display who I am currently.
Between all of those schools, I have pretty much narrowed it down to Georgetown, Drexel, Cincinnati, and BU. The other schools, while they all have their own set of merits, do not seem to have the correct combination of cost-effectiveness and posted positive percentages for me (although we all need to take some of those posted percentages with a grain of salt). I do not want to do a two year program, so BU is not a great fit as that program was clearly built to be completed in that period of time. However, I know of students that completed it in one year and matriculated into medical school during the next.
Drexel has the two year option but will release first semester grades quick enough for a next-year matriculation into medschool. I am very worried about the video-feed learning at Drexel, the absence of a professor at lecture is a terrible motivation to always attend. This also makes me feel like a second-class student at the university: I generally want to be in the same room as my professor, and for thousands of dollars....
Georgetown has some fantastic prestige associated with it, and I do need to take some of that into consideration. However, the cost of the program is nearly double the others when you take living in G-town into consideration...their stats are also not as good as I would hope. Can anyone comment on their G-town SMP experience with professors and classes? I come from a relatively prestigious undergrad university where I feel like a meaningless number, I do not want to enter the same environment.
Cincinnati has impressed me around every corner, and although I am not entirely gung-ho about living in the Midwest, the end goal is medschool (I'll see the library more than anything regardless). For example, I called the department and was immediately transfered to one of the directors of the program, who had no problem talking to me for over half an hour. Only 32 kids in the Cinci. program is great, allowing students to be almost fully integrated into the first year med-school curriculum (minus a few parts). They provide the masters students with their own desks, allowing for a good study place outside one's apt. and traditional libraries. The city itself seems fiscally reasonable and perhaps even responsible for someone that will be living off loans for the next part of their life. My concern about the program is that it may not be as well known to other medical schools as Georgetown or Drexel--can anyone comment on this? While they have a great number of students that go into UC med school (and I would have no problem attending that), I will of course need to consider many other schools and I want my SMP to be recognized by them.

So...please let me know if you feel I am missing some pertinent information regarding the choice. If you have experiences regarding any of the schools I'm into, please share them. I know there is plenty of this info out there on the forums, but half of it is from 2006 and doesn't hold much weight anymore. THANKS EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My decision last year came down to Georgetown vs. Cincinnati, and these are the pro-con lists I made after doing some research into both programs:

Georgetown
Pros: Prestige, oldest program, track record of success, location
Cons: Cost, class size

Cincinnati
Pros: Track record of success, class size, relative cost, Ohio residency
Cons: Location (OH winters :thumbdown:)

Both programs can get you to where you need to go, but the biggest factors for me were the OH residency and class size; coming from a state without in-state "safeties," I felt the prospects of applying as an OH resident or getting in-state tuition (possibly saving you up to $100k in the long run) were too good to pass up. Also, coming from a school with about a billion undergrads, being in a class of 32 was a nice change.

Finally, having finished most of the UC program, I feel SMP location doesn't matter as much as med school location because your time will be spent holed up in the library/study rooms anyway.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I forgot to address the name-recognition issue. The UC program, while much younger than the Georgetown program, has had a comparable, if not superior, track record of success in getting people into medical schools. Next year, the Masters students will be taking nearly identical courseloads with the M1s, giving adcoms no room to doubt the rigor of the program. Yes, Georgetown is likely to be better known, but how much that name-recognition/prestige will matter on your application is unquantifiable. The same cannot be said of the value of OH residency or the differences in cost/class size.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for the information! Does anyone else have anything to chime in regarding this stuff? All the advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you are concerned that people from UC get into only OH schools... that is not the case. UC MS students have gotten into Case Western, OSU, Toledo, Wright State, NYMC, Wayne State, UW-Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin, and lots of other schools I can't think of off-hand. The name recognition is there just as much as G-town.

I'm not an expert at this so you may want to seek other opinions, but honestly I don't think you really need an SMP...

Post your info on the What are My Chances and see what people have to say. I know you're GPA is a little low, but with such a high MCAT score they usually look at one or the other and go from there and you seem to have a TON of ECs and stuff..

you may want to just save your money and apply super early (like now!) you could save close to $60,000!

I'm not an expert at this so you may want to seek other opinions, but honestly I don't think you really need an SMP...

Post your info on the What are My Chances and see what people have to say. I know you're GPA is a little low, but with such a high MCAT score they usually look at one or the other and go from there and you seem to have a TON of ECs and stuff..

you may want to just save your money and apply super early (like now!) you could save close to $60,000!

This. I have a similar application and did pretty well this cycle. And I didn't do an SMP.