accepted urm's -- where did you get in and what were your stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djipopo

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this year and am curious to know where my fellow urm's have succeeded in being accepted to medical school. Did you apply to any historically black medical schools? If you don't mind posting them, what were your stats? Did you have any unusual interviews -- did anyone ask questions regarding your race/ethnicity and how it relates to medical school? Lastly, what did you think of the admissions process as a whole, compared with your majority counterparts?

Members don't see this ad.

3.7, UCLA, 35 (13bio, 12phys, 10vr, Q),white, male, california resident

My interviews were fairly normal, and I did not get asked too much about race/ethnicity. I felt snubbed by my home state of Cali, but they lost me, not the other way around. Good luck with everything and spend the money on lots of apps if you think you are a borderline candidate--applying is a serious pain!

So where are you headed Sirjosh? Best wishes.

Originally posted by SirJosh:
•3.7, UCLA, 35 (13bio, 12phys, 10vr, Q),white, male, california resident

My interviews were fairly normal, and I did not get asked too much about race/ethnicity. I felt snubbed by my home state of Cali, but they lost me, not the other way around. Good luck with everything and spend the money on lots of apps if you think you are a borderline candidate--applying is a serious pain!•

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I forgot to include that--I am about to start my second year here at the University of Pittsburgh. :)

sirjosh, since when are white males considered URM's?

I don't usually place too much emphasis on color, ethnicity, gender, etc. and I don't feel like I have to fit into any of those molds either. Nobody had posted a response to serendipity475's post and I thought some information would be better than none. Plus, when I was at UCLA, I was the minority--the asian population surpassed 50% while I attended. Was I not the minority then, or do white males not ever count as a minority? What is the importance of my actual status--I did not lie and say I was something I wasn't--I knew that I did not fit the so-called norm of URM, but other people did not mind so much. Plus, I believe in meritocracy and think very little of anyone who's only question of someone else is, as you have so nicely queried, "since when are white males considered URM's?". Things are in such a sad state because of exclusionists like yourself.

Hey now, first of all, I am a white male. White men are not unrepresented minorities by definition, and URM's is what the poster asked for. No, white males are not ever considered urm's. The definition of a URM is a person who's (race ect.) percentage of the population is greater than that of the students in that school's academic population. I did not make the rules, and I am not an exclusionist. You may not want to place emphasis on race, ethnicity ect. , but if you want to be a urm, than you must do exactly that because that is the definition of a urm. Don't get upset at me.

The poster asked for urm stats. You posted yours. As a white male, you are not a urm. I was just pointing that out, nothing more.

You say you do not feel like you need to emphasise race, gender ect. to fit the mold of a urm, but doing that is, by definition, what a urm is, so I don't understand your statement.

By admissions standards, asian males are considered whate males, so no you were not a minority there either.

I am not saying this practice is right or wrong, but by definition you are not a urm, so if somebody asks for urm stats in the future, they are not referring to you. You are a represented majority.