Accepted with a 30?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgal555

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-
I got a 30 last year on the MCAT (10P, 9V, 11B) and am kind of concerned about it...I'm registered to retake it this April, but am starting to have second thoughts. I feel like I can do better (did better on my practices prior to the last test, but definitely need to go up a little more this time around), but I'm wondering how much better I can do. I have a pretty busy next few weeks at school, am pretty busy with work stuff, and don't want to be stressed for the next two weeks for like 1-2 points. Anyway, my question is whether or not any of you guys have gotten into top schools (like top 15-20) with 30's. I've got about a 3.85 science and overall, really good clinical experience, and will spend the next year (maybe two) taking time off and working in a lab. I think my recommendations will be above average, but probably not superior. What do you guys think....I don't want to be so limited when I'm applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

since when did a 30 become a questionable score? good job.

dude, you're trippin over nothing. You'll get in, probalby multiple schools. A 30 is above the average matriculant, and a 3.85 is well above athe average matriculate SciGPA. Dont retake it unless you're sure you'll do better.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you are my twin....
i had a 29R MCAT, 3.85 Science/3.9 Overall GPA, an awesome clinical experience, research, and some good letters.
i applied to 12 medical schools and 8 MD/PhD programs, interviewed at 7 med schools/accepted at 5. Interviewed at 4 MD/PhDs/accepted to 3.
I think you are golden. Don't sweat retaking the MCAT unless you have your heart set on a particular school that would reject you on numbers alone....

Unless you're convinced you can pull a 33+ this time around, I wouldn't bother taking it again. There's not much difference between a 30 and 31, 32.

mean mcat scores for MATRICULANTS:

2000 29.7
2001 29.6
2002 29.7
2003 29.6

SD 1.7-1.8

that means plenty of people get in with lower scores. i know you were asking specifically about top 15-20 schools, but you have a pretty good chance of getting in at several schools, at various "tiers."

i thought i saw it all...but then i see this.

you are trippin over a 30??

look a 30 is a good score. you combine that with a good gpa and good ECs and research experiences and you won't really be limiting yourself.

that being said having all that or even a slightly higher mcat doesnt guarantee anything from any school...esp the schools that you are looking at 15-20. but you will be competitive and if you interview well will prolly have good results.

good luck.

I had a 31 then a 35 then got a 30 on the real test. Don't take it again. There are better things to do with spare time. Do something useful and meaningful!

Originally posted by jlee9531
my bad. and she actually kinda sounded serious. whats this world coming to? haha at least sns was aware of the reaction he would get haha.

Word on that, J... there was another thread a while back where someone was whining about a 38, but I was too lazy to run a search in pre-allo. :smuggrin:

multiple acceptances with a 29, lower science and cum GPA. You are A, OK!

Good grief, RELAX!!!!

I know lots of folks who would kill (literally) for a 30. You've got a good GPA and experience. MCAT is just on facet of your app. Don't retake unless you know that you can do better. You'll get in.

I got a 30 (breakdown being 12V, 10Bs, and 8Ps). I have good ECs, great letters, 3.5GPA, and worked for a world class research team. I completed 15 applications, 8 interviews, and no acceptances. I am still scratching my head. I have been told that going to a small school is killing me.

The 30 won't keep you out of medical school, that's for sure. Your GPA is fine. However, you might come off as a bit crazy. Work on your interview. Find that balance of presenting a compassionate, caring individual with a person committed to excellence. Right now, you come off as a typical premed.

A 30 is solid. It won't open doors and it won't close them. You'll get past any cutoffs. It's going to now come down to the rest of your application. Write a killer essay. Get some strong recommendations.

you should feel pleased. Move forward, there's always a chance that you could drop. People assume that a retake means an increase. It doesn't. You don't read about it often, but there are plenty of students that drop in scores.

Originally posted by W222
I got a 30 (breakdown being 12V, 10Bs, and 8Ps). I have good ECs, great letters, 3.5GPA, and worked for a world class research team. I completed 15 applications, 8 interviews, and no acceptances. I am still scratching my head. I have been told that going to a small school is killing me.

I do not mean to sound harsh at all, so don't take this the wrong way, but if you got 8 interviews I doubt that it has anything to do with your application. Sounds like you need to work on your interviewing some.

I agree with what you are saying (not offended at all actually) and I think that next time around I will do alot more practive interviews. But I have had interviewers basically tell me at the end, "you are perfect for this school and I think you would do great here ....and then some have added "but your application needs some work. " I have asked some interviewers where I need work and they usually give me stock answers like, that is something you have to figure out. I really am getting tired of this but I also am persistent and want to practice medicine. I guess the one area I could improve would be relavent clinical exposure, I want to head into internal med but have done all my shawing in anethesia, cardiology, surgery, or endocrinology. I basically say that getting a look at all these specialties has led me to pic IM because it encompases so many of the things I am interested in. Sorry to carry on.

Overall, I think you're fine for getting in. BUT, since you asked about top schools specifically (top 15-20 I believe you said), if you want to make your chances better, take it again. A 30 will look somewhat weak when applying to those schools, and with the other things you listed, it will probably be seen as a definite weak point in your application. So if those schools are your goal, and you're sure you can do better, take it again. If you aren't so sure, you can still apply to those schools, but don't get really high hopes about it.

But aside from that, what's the reason for going specifically for top 15-20 schools anyway?

i got multiple interviews and a uc acceptance with a 29. don't re-take. your gpa is strong and it sounds like the rest of your app will be too. just apply early and turn your secondaries around quickly and you'll be fine.

reconsider taking it again.....since you said you're really busy the next few weeks before the test, you might even do worse the 2nd time, and as far as i know, most school look at your most recent test, regardless which one had the better score....why risk it for a 30....that's awesome!! I got a 27 and had several interviews at great schools...most schools look at more than your numbers.