Accepted with low DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hp2898

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are applying to dental schools, I would like to say congrats! The application cycle is going to be super long, and hopefully for this cycle, you will have chances to go to different campuses for interviews :). I applied to 18 dental schools and got 4 acceptance offers, with 7 interview invites. And I will be sharing my journey with all of you!

I started working on my ADEA AADSAS application starting on 5/12/2020 and submitted the application on 6/16/2020. I recommend you to start working on your application ASAP because:
1) It takes a long time to send and verify transcripts
2) You need to gather 3-4 recommendation letters (Sci professors, dentist, research PI, Non-Sci Prof, etc) and have to ask them to be uploaded to AADSAS
3) You need to answer short answer questions on each dental school you picked to apply to (some are like secondaries)
4) If you get any score lower than 17 (any section) on your DAT, you will need to retake it
5) Meet with others to double check your personal statement

My DAT score was 18AA and 18TS, and this was extremely devastating for me. I took DAT during the peak of COVID, and within this time, school workload/assignments increased due to the classes being transitioned to online. Of course, I have no excuses because I know that I should have studied harder. Also, I have been reading SDN posts about Low DAT score, and how not a lot of students get accepted to dental schools. *PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS AND LOSE HOPE* To be honest, I ALMOST DID NOT apply to dental schools because I wanted to retake the DAT but, I was supported by my family, friends, profs to apply. Even before I know it, I already chose the dental schools that I really like, completed my application and submitted them. Like they said, the HARDEST part of this journey is to get one acceptance letter from a dental school, and we can worry about everything else later on.

For few months, I continued to shadow dentists, work, volunteers, etc so I can update my application/ hours when available. I worked on my SECONDARIES (know that, for some schools, you need to go to their official school website to work on the secondaries. They will not send you any email). Just like that, I received my first interview invite on 9/10/20 from WesternU, as well as my first rejection. My advice to you is, reach out to current dental students (I cannot thank them enough for everything they have done to help me do well in my interviews) and ask them questions! Use SDN for past interview questions and practice for your interview with friends/family. FYI, all the interviewers were super friendly and nice! After WesternU, I got interview invites from UMBSOD (My #1 choice), USC, MOSDOH, Roseman, OHSU, and RSDM.

WAITING PERIOD OFFICIALLY STARTS HERE since no one heard back from schools until December 15! I will always remember 12/15 as I cried after checking my email at 7am to see acceptance offers from dental schools!

Dental schools will look at your application holistically so if dat score is low, you can strengthen your EC and GPA (don't forget Personal Statement!). Get along with professors who will write LORs :) My professors and dentist let me read the LORs before they uploaded them.

DAT Score: 18 AA 18 TS (20 RC 17 BIO 17 GCHEM 20 OCHEM 19 QR 19 PAT).
GPA: Overall 3.88 SCI 3.86
EC: When I do EC, I am very committed and do them for a long time.

2 research labs (1 yr/ 2.5 yrs)
CHEM teacher assistant (2.5 yrs)
OCHEM/CHEM grader (2.5 yrs)
non-certified dental assistant (1 yr)
shadowing (1 yr)
STEM Tutoring (8 yrs)
Student assistant at lab (2.5 yrs)
Volunteer at optometry clinic (1 yr)
PHHS club member (2 yrs)
Justice at University (0.5 yr)
Non-profit organization officer (9 yrs)
Bio Peer mentor (0.5 yr)
Volunteer at Hospital (1 yr)

Good luck on your application cycle and feel free to share your experience as well!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful success story . It will help a lot of students during a most stressful time.

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer

Reactions: 1 user
I can add, I got accepted this cycle with 19 AA/20 TS with 15 QR. Was told to retake it with the 15 QR, used this DAT score for two cycles, got 6 interviews the first cycle (went to 3 of them, waitlisted at 3), then this cycle I got 5 interviews, went to 3 of them (waitlisted at 1, other still no answer, and an acceptance).

Also wanted to add, my first DAT was 18 AA/18 TS with 15 QR. I got a 15 in QR TWICE.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I can add, I got accepted this cycle with 19 AA/20 TS with 15 QR. Was told to retake it with the 15 QR, used this DAT score for two cycles, got 6 interviews the first cycle (went to 3 of them, waitlisted at 3), then this cycle I got 5 interviews, went to 3 of them (waitlisted at 1, other still no answer, and an acceptance)
Congrats on the acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can add, I got accepted this cycle with 19 AA/20 TS with 15 QR. Was told to retake it with the 15 QR, used this DAT score for two cycles, got 6 interviews the first cycle (went to 3 of them, waitlisted at 3), then this cycle I got 5 interviews, went to 3 of them (waitlisted at 1, other still no answer, and an acceptance)
Congrats!!! I am so happy for you :) Which school will you be attending?

Hello,

I've been a spectator of this network for years, but this post is what made me start an account so I could reply.

I have been in dentistry my entire adult life, working as an EFDA for 19 years! I have always wanted to go back to school to pursue my dental degree but life always stopped me somehow. In 2016, I decided it was time to start the journey. I enrolled in undergrad to gain my BS and have been taking classes ever since, with the exception of taking 2020 off when the world halted due to Covid. I just started taking classes again this January. I have never been "good" at science.... bio is not an issue.... it's chemistry.... Organic chemistry to be precise!! I got a low C the first time I took oChem, so I am retaking it now but I swear it feels likes the first time I have ever seen this stuff. Even though I took it in Highschool and college, twice (facepalm)... I am getting so discouraged about even taking the DAT.... I feel like with a 3.2 GPA I must break a 24 at least.......

This forum gives me hope, as I think with all my experience 'chairside" as well as clinically, I may still be able to get into dental school even with a not-so-good DAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I've been a spectator of this network for years, but this post is what made me start an account so I could reply.

I have been in dentistry my entire adult life, working as an EFDA for 19 years! I have always wanted to go back to school to pursue my dental degree but life always stopped me somehow. In 2016, I decided it was time to start the journey. I enrolled in undergrad to gain my BS and have been taking classes ever since, with the exception of taking 2020 off when the world halted due to Covid. I just started taking classes again this January. I have never been "good" at science.... bio is not an issue.... it's chemistry.... Organic chemistry to be precise!! I got a low C the first time I took oChem, so I am retaking it now but I swear it feels likes the first time I have ever seen this stuff. Even though I took it in Highschool and college, twice (facepalm)... I am getting so discouraged about even taking the DAT.... I feel like with a 3.2 GPA I must break a 24 at least.......

This forum gives me hope, as I think with all my experience 'chairside" as well as clinically, I may still be able to get into dental school even with a not-so-good DAT score.
With a 3.2, I’d say you need a solid 20 AA. I had 3.5 with 19 AA and got accepted. Hope this helps.

Also, Ochem was actually the easiest section for me even though I pulled C’s in orgo classes. DATDestroyer orgo section prepared me with all I need for orgo along with chads videos.

Reactions: 2 users
With a 3.2, I’d say you need a solid 20 AA. I had 3.5 with 19 AA and got accepted. Hope this helps.

Also, Ochem was actually the easiest section for me even though I pulled C’s in orgo classes. DATDestroyer orgo section prepared me with all I need for orgo along with chads videos.

I think you will do great! You will never know whether you will get into the dental school or not unless you apply :). Personally, Ochem was a hard subject while I was taking it during university, but for some reason, I was able to remember more information on DAT.

Hi I will be applying to dental school this summer and was wondering what a good DAT score to shoot for will be. I have a 3.9 GPA with a 4.0 in science and should maintain this GPA this semester. Thanks!

Hi I will be applying to dental school this summer and was wondering what a good DAT score to shoot for will be. I have a 3.9 GPA with a 4.0 in science and should maintain this GPA this semester. Thanks!
Shoot for 20+, preferably in all sections.

Wow, great GPA, put in the time and effort in your DAT Prep and you should easily be able to get in to the mid to upper 20's in the sciences. Your high GPA combined with high DAT scores will get you interviews at most schools in the country.

Wishing you the best...Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer

I agreed with everyone! Aim for 20+ in all sections so you will get more interview invites from dental schools.
Use resources like DAT destroyer, DAT bootcamps & notes, Feralis's biology notes, Chad videos for Ochem and Chem.

The PDF for Feralis's biology notes can be found here: Feralis Biology Notes?