Accepted with Low GPA, but High MCAT, but what if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daveyjwin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation. I was accepted to LECOM-FL with a 2.84 Cum, 2.81 Sci, and 29N (B7P11V11) MCAT. Thing is I am taking 12 credits of 400 Level science this term and next term. None of these classes are med school prerequisites though. So assuming I pass them all, they have to let me in after I've paid the deposit, right? So theoretically I could 2.0 all my classes (not that I am going to, but just in case I guess), get a 2.0 GPA the next two terms, and still go to med school next year?

I guess I am just getting kinda worried about what-ifs now that I have finally been accepted. As of now I am on track to get about a 2.5 in my science classes this term, and I just want to make sure that I will still be able to go.

Soothe my worries please... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you take that course load if you are already in? Take it easy and change your schedule around to classes you will enjoy and can relax in, unless that is the fact for these upper level science classes and then there is no issue.

I don't believe they would take away your acceptance for doing poorly on non-req classes.

They are required for my major, to get my BS degree, but not for the school. The classes I am taking are Biochem I and II, Nueroscience, Immunology, Eukaryotic Cell Biology, Immunology, Pharmacueticals, and Orgo II (the only required one, they want me to get at least a 2.0 in it).

All of these classes are required for my Human Bio major, and I have to cram them all in at the end because I transferred, and had to fit all my requried science classes into 3 years instead of the usual 4 years.

Should I even worry about getting my degree? I mean, the only degree that matters is my DO, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nearly EVERY school requires you to have a bachelor's degree upon entering medical school. In fact I don't know of any that don't require you to have a bachelor's degree, but of course I could be wrong.

Yup you need the degree, just do your best and think of it as practice for med school. I am sure you will be fine if you are accepted then you can do it.

Fermata said:
If there's a similar degree that has easier requirements that you can finish on time then why not switch into that.

I just looked... looks like I am SOL in that regard.

So, if I get my degree, but my GPA drops a point, that shouldn't matter? Is that right?

daveyjwin said:
So here's my situation. I was accepted to LECOM-FL with a 2.84 Cum, 2.81 Sci, and 29N (B7P11V11) MCAT. Thing is I am taking 12 credits of 400 Level science this term and next term. None of these classes are med school prerequisites though. So assuming I pass them all, they have to let me in after I've paid the deposit, right? So theoretically I could 2.0 all my classes (not that I am going to, but just in case I guess), get a 2.0 GPA the next two terms, and still go to med school next year?

I guess I am just getting kinda worried about what-ifs now that I have finally been accepted. As of now I am on track to get about a 2.5 in my science classes this term, and I just want to make sure that I will still be able to go.

Soothe my worries please... :scared:

They will let you in as long as you don't make any D's or F's.

If you do make a D or an F --> you have alot of explaining to do.

daveyjwin said:
So, if I get my degree, but my GPA drops a point, that shouldn't matter? Is that right?

Your GPA is low to begin with, if you drop your GPA from a 2.84 a whole point, down to 1.84 then you may have some issues with the school (I hope you have issues to be honest).

daveyjwin said:
So here's my situation. I was accepted to LECOM-FL with a 2.84 Cum, 2.81 Sci :scared:

I hope you restored sight to the blind and multiplied a loaf of bread to feed the poor in your spare time to get in with those numbers.

Nate said:
Your GPA is low to begin with, if you drop your GPA from a 2.84 a whole point, down to 1.84 then you may have some issues with the school (I hope you have issues to be honest).

Oh, no never that. I was talking like the 2.84 dropping to like a 2.74.

I hope you restored sight to the blind and multiplied a loaf of bread to feed the poor in your spare time to get in with those numbers.

You didn't get the memo? I actually did cleanse a leper. I'm working on blindness though.

My advice is if you have to take the classes you should do your best. If you do your best then the what-ifs don't matter because you will be fine. Problem solved. Consider it mental training for the marathon that is med school. Good luck

daveyjwin said:
The classes I am taking are Biochem I and II, Nueroscience, Immunology, Eukaryotic Cell Biology, Immunology, Pharmacueticals, and Orgo II (the only required one, they want me to get at least a 2.0 in it).

I would take these courses very seriously. Organic may be the least useful in med school, but in those rare helpful moments it's a real treat.

i know for sure DMU offers acceptance without a degree as i have looked into it, but it is a certificate of completion of the degree upon the completion of the first year of medical school!

beastmaster said:
I would take these courses very seriously. Organic may be the least useful in med school, but in those rare helpful moments it's a real treat.

House used ochem to solve a case! Well, actually he used physics, but it was disguised as chemistry! (Isn't it all?)

daveyjwin said:
They are required for my major, to get my BS degree, but not for the school. The classes I am taking are Biochem I and II, Nueroscience, Immunology, Eukaryotic Cell Biology, Immunology, Pharmacueticals, and Orgo II (the only required one, they want me to get at least a 2.0 in it).

All of these classes are required for my Human Bio major, and I have to cram them all in at the end because I transferred, and had to fit all my requried science classes into 3 years instead of the usual 4 years.

Should I even worry about getting my degree? I mean, the only degree that matters is my DO, right?

First of all, THAT schedule sucks. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know if I go to a really dumb school but the average (B) in my Biochem I and 2 was 65%, Orgo 2 around 60% so I hope that puts a little perspective on some of your classes. What is great about 400 science classes is A LOT is overlap from other classes. Good luck!!

Considering that medical school is supposedly the most intense learning curve you will encounter (in book learning), you should work your arse off and do well because it is only going to get harder when you hit first year med.

McGillGrad said:
Considering that medical school is supposedly the most intense learning curve you will encounter (in book learning), you should work your arse off and do well because it is only going to get harder when you hit first year med.

I would second this advice, especially to someone with a 2.8 GPA who is about to enter med school. Congrats on doing the near impossible by getting in.

To the OP I also have an acceptance at LECOM and in the packet they tell you what you need to fulfill prior to the start of next year. Just call them and that will stop all the what ifs. Nobody here can help you with these types of questions, it is better to go to the source. Good luck!

Your schedule really does suck, why did you take all those classes together. Anyway, just focus on doing well in your classes. Worrying about it, is not going to help. Do whatever you have to do to get at least B's. Study your ass off..if it means studing 12-14 hours a day, do it. You only have about six weeks left for the semester ..you can do this.