1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Accepted with Low GPA, but High MCAT, but what if...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by daveyjwin, Nov 17, 2005.

1. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So here's my situation. I was accepted to LECOM-FL with a 2.84 Cum, 2.81 Sci, and 29N (B7P11V11) MCAT. Thing is I am taking 12 credits of 400 Level science this term and next term. None of these classes are med school prerequisites though. So assuming I pass them all, they have to let me in after I've paid the deposit, right? So theoretically I could 2.0 all my classes (not that I am going to, but just in case I guess), get a 2.0 GPA the next two terms, and still go to med school next year?

I guess I am just getting kinda worried about what-ifs now that I have finally been accepted. As of now I am on track to get about a 2.5 in my science classes this term, and I just want to make sure that I will still be able to go.

Soothe my worries please... :scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why would you take that course load if you are already in? Take it easy and change your schedule around to classes you will enjoy and can relax in, unless that is the fact for these upper level science classes and then there is no issue.

I don't believe they would take away your acceptance for doing poorly on non-req classes.

4. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They are required for my major, to get my BS degree, but not for the school. The classes I am taking are Biochem I and II, Nueroscience, Immunology, Eukaryotic Cell Biology, Immunology, Pharmacueticals, and Orgo II (the only required one, they want me to get at least a 2.0 in it).

All of these classes are required for my Human Bio major, and I have to cram them all in at the end because I transferred, and had to fit all my requried science classes into 3 years instead of the usual 4 years.

Should I even worry about getting my degree? I mean, the only degree that matters is my DO, right?

5. SOUNDMAN

SOUNDMAN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nearly EVERY school requires you to have a bachelor's degree upon entering medical school. In fact I don't know of any that don't require you to have a bachelor's degree, but of course I could be wrong.

6. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    Yup you need the degree, just do your best and think of it as practice for med school. I am sure you will be fine if you are accepted then you can do it.

7. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If there's a similar degree that has easier requirements that you can finish on time then why not switch into that.

8. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just looked... looks like I am SOL in that regard.

9. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So, if I get my degree, but my GPA drops a point, that shouldn't matter? Is that right?

10. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    They will let you in as long as you don't make any D's or F's.

If you do make a D or an F --> you have alot of explaining to do.

11. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    Your GPA is low to begin with, if you drop your GPA from a 2.84 a whole point, down to 1.84 then you may have some issues with the school (I hope you have issues to be honest).

12. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hope you restored sight to the blind and multiplied a loaf of bread to feed the poor in your spare time to get in with those numbers.

13. daveyjwin

daveyjwin Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh, no never that. I was talking like the 2.84 dropping to like a 2.74.

You didn't get the memo? I actually did cleanse a leper. I'm working on blindness though.

14. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    My advice is if you have to take the classes you should do your best. If you do your best then the what-ifs don't matter because you will be fine. Problem solved. Consider it mental training for the marathon that is med school. Good luck

15. beastmaster

beastmaster Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would take these courses very seriously. Organic may be the least useful in med school, but in those rare helpful moments it's a real treat.

16. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    i know for sure DMU offers acceptance without a degree as i have looked into it, but it is a certificate of completion of the degree upon the completion of the first year of medical school!

17. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    House used ochem to solve a case! Well, actually he used physics, but it was disguised as chemistry! (Isn't it all?)

18. fitnessexpert

fitnessexpert Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    First of all, THAT schedule sucks. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know if I go to a really dumb school but the average (B) in my Biochem I and 2 was 65%, Orgo 2 around 60% so I hope that puts a little perspective on some of your classes. What is great about 400 science classes is A LOT is overlap from other classes. Good luck!!

19. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Considering that medical school is supposedly the most intense learning curve you will encounter (in book learning), you should work your arse off and do well because it is only going to get harder when you hit first year med.

20. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    I would second this advice, especially to someone with a 2.8 GPA who is about to enter med school. Congrats on doing the near impossible by getting in.

21. DODO

DODO Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

To the OP I also have an acceptance at LECOM and in the packet they tell you what you need to fulfill prior to the start of next year. Just call them and that will stop all the what ifs. Nobody here can help you with these types of questions, it is better to go to the source. Good luck!

22. stella81

stella81 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Your schedule really does suck, why did you take all those classes together. Anyway, just focus on doing well in your classes. Worrying about it, is not going to help. Do whatever you have to do to get at least B's. Study your ass off..if it means studing 12-14 hours a day, do it. You only have about six weeks left for the semester ..you can do this.