Accepted with MCATS under 30??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a 26Q on my MCAT with a 2.7 and I've gotten into UCLA, UCSF, STanford, and Duke. I got rejected from Harvard though. But I got in to all the other schools cuz I'm black. Reverse Racism is the greatest!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Jamal345
I got a 26Q on my MCAT with a 2.7 and I've gotten into UCLA, UCSF, STanford, and Duke. I got rejected from Harvard though. But I got in to all the other schools cuz I'm black. Reverse Racism is the greatest!
:rolleyes: troll. Your comment is a disgrace to affirmative action.

I got a 38 and NOT ONE interview...

that was last year

this year I have one interview at UCI (this thursday 3/20)!!

Members don't see this ad :)

i hope your excited about going to med school as it is very rewarding. i can tell your future class mates will love you as you will be a factor that brings down the mpl and the class average. just stating facts. i have always believed that the best man should get the job, and u are not it. its ashame really that u are proud knowing that you are dumb and got in to med school because of race.

Originally posted by Reality Check4u
i hope your excited about going to med school as it is very rewarding. i can tell your future class mates will love you as you will be a factor that brings down the mpl and the class average. just stating facts. i have always believed that the best man should get the job, and u are not it. its ashame really that u are proud knowing that you are dumb and got in to med school because of race.

You didn't happen to used to post as sd87, did you?

I think you all need to get off your high horse. Maybe I did get in because Im black. Maybe not. I still think affirmative action should be abolished because it foregoes any sort of meritocracy for an unequitable admission system.

But check this. All you haters can go drink your haterade. I got in because I actually have a personality. 99.9% of you guys are lifeless bookworms with speech impediments and no charisma whatsoever. Being a doctor isnt about numbers or GPA's or any of that crap. Its about personal interaction. And study as you might, you aren't gonna develop any interpersonal skills with your nose buried in a science book. You better realize that before you get to med school or you're in for some news, chumps.

isn't there a rule against double posts? but you're new and you've such a great personality-->(humble, modest, kind to others, not quick to judge, the list goes on) I'm sure they'll forget about it and let it slide. just call me a hater, but I don't buy it.

So, from the title of the thread I though this was supposed to be a confidence booster to us sub-30 MCATers. It looks like it is on its way to being an AA thread instead!
TO Jamal345: Congrats on your acceptance, though I can see how your initial post could ruffle some feathers, it is good to see it is NOT all about numbers
TO RealityCheck: I am happy you are in med school doing what you want to be doing...you are there, we are here, what difference does it make what is going on here. More than likely we will not affect your life...and dont give me the BS about not wanting to work with a doc in the future who scored lower than a 30!
Anyway, the earlier posts have given me hope...so thanks :)

Yo Jamal! Wassup? How'd you swing that? Could you share with me any tips on your application and interviews? PM me the details if you can.

jamal, hey! seems like you have a short memory because on 2 separate posts you state that you had a 2.7 GPA and 26MCAT, then later post a 2.6 GPA and 28MCAT. having trouble remembering your stats which you seem to state so proudly??

i smell an bitter "sd87" here trying to piss people off. hahahah :laugh:

I can't believe some of you actually belive this. I serioulsy doubt ANYONE could have been admitted to ANY of these schools with a GPA lower than 3.0. I guess some of you are real eager to believe that black applicants get into these type of schools with poor records:mad:

And to Jamal 345, great use of the name Jamal. Makes everyone think your black. But I know "black face" when I see it although I thought that type of thing ended in the roaring 20's. First rap music now this..................................:rolleyes:

Originally posted by pathdr2b
And to Jamal 345, great use of the name Jamal. Makes everyone think your black. But I know "black face" when I see it although I thought that type of thing ended in the roaring 20's. First rap music now this..................................:rolleyes:
Right on, pathdr2b! I think the little shiit has either had enough fun or been banned.

i think the wuss is cowering in shame now. i mean, if he's gonna make up stories at least he should be consistent from thread to thread.

but what's wrong with rap music??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I was wondering if people could please post if they are URM or not on future posts.

BDF

Originally posted by BobbyDylanFan
Hi guys,

I was wondering if people could please post if they are URM or not on future posts.

BDF

sure, I'm white, not disadvantaged, female, accepted to 2 US allopathic schools with a 3.62 GPA (state school near top of Tier 2 US News) and 29 MCAT. My full information is listed under another name posted ages ago on this thread.. I also had 7 MD interviews and was a reapplicant (improved my MCAT)..

A friend of mine got into med school with a 25. She went to a top 5 school and had avg. science grades. She had excellent research and clinical exp. Had secondaries completed by mid-Oct. It's all about the whole....

hi i am a non urm 27Q MCAT . 2nd time applicant 3.5 sci and non sci gpa , 9 interviews and 3 acceptances so far ! its possible 30 is not the mark just the average !

Doctora Foxy, didn't you get into UF med school last year? I've been reading up on UF a lot from last year's posts and had read a lot of your posts there. I'm confused!! :confused:

A friend of mine was accepted at Harvard with a 29 MCAT. Non-URM (S Asian) her GPA was about 3.7.

In her favor- a Watson fellowship, double major (dance and chemistry) double minor (physics and spanish), her typical LOR probably read something like- "I have taught for 25 years, and she is the most delightful student I ever had."

Moral: character and dedication can go a long way to make up for intellectual power.

Originally posted by Sami335
Doctora Foxy, didn't you get into UF med school last year? I've been reading up on UF a lot from last year's posts and had read a lot of your posts there. I'm confused!! :confused:

Sami, no need to be confused. Doctora Foxy is in medical school. The thread is from last year, check when she posted. I know several people got confused about this. ;)

accepted to gtown (off the highly select pool) with a 27m. non-urm.

interviewed at 9 schools, waitlisted at most. waiting to hear from 1 still.

come on, guys! i know there are tons of us out there :)

I know a guy (non-urm) at my school (middle-tier liberal arts) that got into Dartmouth with a 24. He was a history major.

Friend of mine with a 25, non-urm, good gpa, small no-name school, no ec's, worked ft, accepted to UT Memphis in april.

Accepted Penn State, 28S MCAT, 11 interviews total, withdrew from a couple, waiting from 5...

I don't remember if I posted to this before, but it's worth a repost. Accepted to Rush and Loyola (in state) with a 28 (9-8-11)/3.6 from Northwestern. I'm headed to Loyola!

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Rudy! :)

Originally posted by Steinway
I know a guy (non-urm) at my school (middle-tier liberal arts) that got into Dartmouth with a 24. He was a history major.

Do you guys know if Dartmouth is really is so open-minded? I always thought of them as a big jock school full of well, big jocks :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe I am just stuck on the Ugrad campus and the medical school is different? I definitely think ugrad/main campus is very conservative and republican (ok, I said it ... ) but I am hear a very different story from ALOT of people about the medschool. Any opinions?? Because if that's so then I am going to apply ... !

One word, Determination. ;)

Accepted to UF, Temple and Finch, + 3 waitlists with a 27...other stats and ECs were great :) .....I applied to 22 schools

I sometimes wish I had gone to a less rigorous u-grad and done better--but alas I went to penn and did just alright...overall=3.3 w/ 3.1 sci GPA which is krap relative to the avg pool of matrics

Do any of you know if ADCOMS give higher tier u-grads a GPA 'Bump???' I think this would be very appropriate given the greater degree of competition at more difficult schools.

much love,
biffer

Biffer-
The AdComm director at SUNY Syracuse told me that Barron's College Ratings guide is used to help "level the field" among the application pool; of course an A is an A, but one from XYZ Community College would not hold the same weight as one from Harvard...

dc

I know someone with a 29 who got into Cornell.

A friend from undergrad got into John Hopkinds Med with a 27 who then retook the mcat and got a 29. She took a year off and did research. She's caucasian.

I got into SLU, UCI, and Georgetown with a 29 and I'm a non-URM.

Originally posted by bosco
I know someone with a 29 who got into Cornell.

better not let alphabeta53 know ;)

I had a 29 (composite 30 for those schools who will take the best scores from multiple exams). I took it twice, first time 8V 9P 9B second time 11V 8P 10B. One interview and one acceptance (Tulane), so there is definitely hope. The key for people with under 30 scores is applying as early as possible (something I actually didn't do!).

Good luck-- it's definitely possible.:)

Yeah it is possible to get in with less than a 30...I got into Wayne State with a 27. I think my stats are totally average although I do have a TON of research experience and a MS. I came off the waitlist. I think that with less than a 30 that is fairly typical to be waitlisted for someone with my stats (average, that is). So dont be discouraged if you are WLed because it can pay off if you sit tight and remain optimistic!!!
Spin:D

Just got off the waitlist at SUNY Upstate last week. I got a 27 on the MCAT (11V, 8 BS, 8 PS). I have a good GPA and have been doing research for a year now. It is possible to get in with a sub-30 MCAT, but you should have other stuff going for you.

29 MCAT: 9 V, 10 P, 10 B
G.P.A. 3.2 undergrad, 3.8 grad

Accepted to SLU:) off the waitlist

Hope that helps.

I had a 27 on my MCAT as well. . .I got into Einstein and Pitt, and waitlisted at Stanford. Those were my only three interviews though out of about 20 schools I applied to, so make sure to apply to MANY schools.

Ultimate_freak

Accepted at one place with a 26N and 3.4 GPA.
Also on "hold" for an interview .. whatever that means!

....what school?

Originally posted by chicamedica
I had a 27 on my MCAT as well. . .I got into Einstein and Pitt, and waitlisted at Stanford. Those were my only three interviews though out of about 20 schools I applied to, so make sure to apply to MANY schools.

Good job! Not bad interviews at all. I second the shotgun approach to medical schools. I have my favorites but I have a 26P MCAT and I applied to 25 schools. I happen to have a large amount of experiences and research going for me to boost my applications. I'll just cross my fingers and trust in the system. :)

You do not need to have a 30 or above to get into medical school. I had a 27(8 on VR,9 on PS and 10 on BS) with a 3.9 and I was accpeted to 3 medical schools with 8 interview offers. I was offered an interview at Johns Hopkins but I didn't go since I liked Emory a lot better. I only went to the 3 I liked the most. One of the schools I got in was Emory School of Medicine and it is not easy to get in there. So don't feel bad if you don't have a 30. I will admit when I went to my interview at Emory and some of the other students said they had a 30 or up I was slightly intimidated but if Emory thought I could not handle medical school they wouldn't have offered me an interview and certainly they wouldn't have accepeted me. Everyone is different. One thing I learned during the admission process last year is that you shouldn't compare yourself to other people. Every person's situation is different and we all live different lives. Be confident in your application no matter what. Hope this gives everyone with a MCAT in the mid to upper 20s hope!

Lorenzo Foster
MS I LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport
Class of 2007

Sorry for the bad post. Didn't mean to waste space in such a valuable thread here. I am cleaning it up as much as I can.

Originally posted by calcrew14
Not too seriously, sometime I think that there are more to it than just numbers, othertime I think not. And if that opposing thoughts happen to occur statistically significant close to 50:50 of the times, what would you do? Me? Iwould like to spin the wheel. I don't mind even if it isn't the wheel of fortune. I am ready to trade this luxery and sophistication for the long trip to the caribbian. I hope that I would return fresher for the rematch in 2-4 years when some of these cream of the crop floats atop to just a pair of eye-balls.

No it was not really a crap shoot. That's why I am not allowed to do it.

Let some spin the wheel, and no one will ever have to discuss the abstract of number anymore.

Fictitious fact vs factual fiction: My dad lost his job 15 years ago and my mom hasn't worked for 20 years. But I haven't been able to get those grants and othe financial aids because they still have too much assets. Now that my dad got a cancer, I still can't take advantage of the facts because everyone else has some kin dying or even just died outright too. May be I should have watched more sad movies rather than those NBA, NFL, NCAA's, SDN....etc. I think that I am going to cry an ocean. Get me a plane ticket to the Carribian right away, please!.

And finally, who is going to pick up this check if I happen to become disadvantaged?

Have an eventually nice matriculation everyone!

I have no idea what this post is talking about.

Dara678, I'm with you. I don't know what calcrew14 was trying to say concerning the topic.

LSU School of Medicine in Shreveport
Class of 2007

Bump...now that it is later in the process, anyone else?

Okay, I'll add to this... I got a 29R (10B, 8P, 11V) on last April's MCAT. When I got my score I figured it was over for me and California schools, esp. with the 8 on the physical science. Re-taking in August was not doable financially so I decided to go for it anyway. My GPA was good and I figured the rest of my app was decent. Anyway, I got 5 interview offers, and went to the 3 in California. I got into UC Davis and was placed on the alternate list at Stanford and UC Irvine. So do not lose hope about a lower MCAT if your app is pretty decent overall. Even the tough schools like the UCs and Stanford will overlook it sometimes. Good luck :)

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
Okay, I'll add to this... I got a 29R (10B, 8P, 11V) on last April's MCAT. When I got my score I figured it was over for me and California schools, esp. with the 8 on the physical science. Re-taking in August was not doable financially so I decided to go for it anyway. My GPA was good and I figured the rest of my app was decent. Anyway, I got 5 interview offers, and went to the 3 in California. I got into UC Davis and was placed on the alternate list at Stanford and UC Irvine. So do not lose hope about a lower MCAT if your app is pretty decent overall. Even the tough schools like the UCs and Stanford will overlook it sometimes. Good luck :)

Wow Coyote that's so great! I got what you got (except P) but otherwise same breakdown, and not a single UC school would bother with me....*sigh*
BUT - I did have 4 interviews, one at a top 10 and got accepted to the first place I interviewed - so like you say, don't lose hope! After going through all this I can't believe I made it, I almost wish I'd taken the MCAT again but it was such unimaginable hell the first time.
Anyway, We're gonna be doctors!! :clap: