Neveroddoreven

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
Well, here is my situation.

I applied more than a dozen Ph.D or Psy.D programs, and I was invited to interview for six schools. Some of them are great program, some of them are my dream program and some of them are my "safety-neat" program. Anyway, after about a month of waiting, I was declined to be accepted from all those six schools. However, I was accepted by other two Ph.D program without any interview while I was waiting for other's notification. One is the Ph.D program is PGSP which I choose to attend eventually.

My questions is that being rejected by all six other schools mean that I am not qualify as being a future psychologist or I lack some of key characteristics of being psychologist, since all the schools which have met me in person all rejected me, but those who didn't accept me. I am very confident about my academic performance and research ability. As right now, I am so confused and I am not sure that Am I up for it or not. Sigh~~

I know PGSP is a great program, and many professors' research interests match with mine. But, I am not sure should I attend it or not because they did not interview me at all.

psychanon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Psychology Student
It absolutely does not mean you're not qualified-- lots of people don't get in after interviews, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Psych admissions are kind of random. It really doesn't mean anything that PGSP didn't interview you either; however, you should consider the fact that you never "interviewed" them-- you should really visit before you decide for sure. PGSP is very expensive, and you want to be sure of your investment.

Psyched77

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
The other thing to remember - before you start doubting yourself too much - is that by the interview point, you're competing with the cream of the crop. It's not that you wouldn't be good enough; it's more likely that someone else was just a little better. Since the programs can only take a few (sometimes only one), it's hard to get the sought after spots. Don't internalize it too much, & just try to take it for what it is.

About the Ads

Markp

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Psychologist
Well, here is my situation.

My questions is that being rejected by all six other schools mean that I am not qualify as being a future psychologist or I lack some of key characteristics of being psychologist, since all the schools which have met me in person all rejected me, but those who didn't accept me. I am very confident about my academic performance and research ability. As right now, I am so confused and I am not sure that Am I up for it or not. Sigh~~
Nope, not at all. Had I taken that view, I would likely not be in graduate school right now. I was rejected ALOT. Keep your self esteem intact, because emotionally this is a difficult process for all of us who go through it.

FWIW, I know a graduate or two of PGSP and I have been really impressed with the few that I have met, although they admittedly say that the program is what you make of it.... and that some have made less of it than they had.

Mark

Risingsoul

Aspiring Graduate Student
10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2008
California
Status
Pre-Psychology
I am truly considering attending the PGSP program, even with the expensive price tag. I like the program and it seems less competitive than university programs. For you to get accepted into the program without an interview gives me some hope that maybe I can get into the program. How are your scores and what is your background. I would truly appreciate if you can share it with me so that I can get an idea of what they are accepting. You can send me a private message if you like. It would really help me understand the process a lil better since I am really new and would like to apply by the Jan. 15th deadline. Thank you so much in advance!

BTW, did you end up going to PGSP? If so, do you like the program?

About the Ads